What Happened To The Kingsmen?

Actually the Cavaliers are doing it this year, The Cadets are rumored to be doing one in '09 for their 75th reunion, and there's talk of Star of Indiana Alumni for 2010.

Don't know quite where you are getting your info.

The same director who told me the concerns about alums stealing the thunder....glad to see I was wrong there,

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muddy, many thanks for the kudos. We worked our tails off and the proof is in the pudding. It was a good show and as one of the young'uns at age 45, the fact that it was performed by mostly 50 year old men and women makes it even more amazing. I'm not sure where you got your information from, or if you even marched in the corps, but my experience was way different that the way you heard it.

Just as an aside....the original Kingsmen were very serious about their heritage and legacy. There were times that the attitude bordered on being insufferable.

I'm not sure how the Kingsmen were in the past, but I never got any bad attitude about that during my KAC experience. We gave each a ribbing sometimes, but it was only in good natured fun and totally normal.

There was always a kind of barrier between many of the originals and among some of the "guests." I believe most got through the adventure joyfully, but I also believe many were glad when it was over.

Bottom line is the entire effort was admirable. Whatever differences existed were for the most part shelved for the good of the KAC and for the ultimate reward...once again marching in a world venue.

The entire time I was with my KAC brothers and sisters, I was never looked down upon because I was a "guest". I never even heard that word used in reference to any of the so-called "guests". In fact, I was appreciated I think, as I had hard corps drum corps experience and could play decently. I was just one of 44 baritones on the field, a massive baritone line.

As far as how many former Kingsmen there were, there were a LOT. I think the ratio was posted over at the web site at one time. It doesn't matter anyway because we all were Kingsmen by DCI with 2 shows under our belts. That's the way we felt anyway.

When you're blowin' white heat and Pooh Bear just popped a searing double G right next to you and then the crowd goes ballistic--who freakin' cares if I didn't march Kingsmen before. I was a Kingsmen then. It ranks up there with my experience marching Vanguard. I feel very proud to have marched with these legends, who are all Kingsmen in my book.

As far as being relieved that it was over? Yeah. That was one of the emotions. But many better feelings that topped that one. BEING ELATED, EXCITED. STOKED. JAZZED, THRILL OF A LIFETIME and on down. Sadness and relief were there too. Not to mention broke. Yup.

Edited by scv guy

When you're blowin' white heat and Pooh Bear just popped a searing double G right next to you and then the crowd goes ballistic--who freakin' cares if I didn't march Kingsmen before. I was a Kingsmen then. It ranks up there with my experience marching Vanguard. I feel very proud to have marched with these legends, who are all Kingsmen in my book.

I have had those Pooh Bear Double G's in my ear before! You will recover within the next few months... Although I was 19 when he was destroying my ability to hear! :smile:

But Pooh Bear was a BLUE DEVIL and a COLT!!!!!!!!! You should have been listening for Steve Beards Double G's for that Kingsmen feeling! :smile:

[

some of the DCIO brass are worried that the alums may take attention and appreciation away from the current competitors
Heaven forbid if the crowd actually enjoyed an entertaining show..
I mean....if you were a rookie Mad Scout a couple of years ago and heard the crowd go ballistic for the Mad alums, how woudl you feel?
I would feel like I was part of a strong and proud tradition..

I think there might be some upcoming resistanhce to more alum groups at finals, tho....some of the DCIO brass are worried that the alums may take attention and appreciation away from the current competitors.

I mean....if you were a rookie Mad Scout a couple of years ago and heard the crowd go ballistic for the Mad alums, how woudl you feel? (That WAS, in fact, the argument one director told me when we started the BD/SCV group last year)

So it's possible that Kmen may be the last alum grou we see at finals for awhile..future ones may be relegated to major regionals like we were.

I would prefer not, tho...everyone wins.

Agree on everyone wins but DCI must have a different mindset on the Alumni groups compared to DCA. IIRC, Cabs Alumni and competing always watch each others shows DCA Weekend. When Skyliners competed, the Alumni group (including Alumni corps members) would sing the corps song as the competing unit would come on the field. I just get that "it's all about me" feeling when the current corps doesn't want an Alumni corps around.

Think I'm kidding, there are more than a few old posts on DCP that Madsions Alumns should have just given money to the corps instead of "being selfish and spending it on themselves".

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I would feel like I was part of a strong and proud tradition..

That may be something that's a little corps-specific. if you have a long and strong history of alum involvement, as Madison does, you'd be mroe likely to think about being part of the tradition.

Some corps, tho, don't have that strong of an alum connection....sadly, BD is one of those...there was a bit of resistance when I originally proposed the alum corps last year.

That may be something that's a little corps-specific. if you have a long and strong history of alum involvement, as Madison does, you'd be mroe likely to think about being part of the tradition.

Some corps, tho, don't have that strong of an alum connection....sadly, BD is one of those...there was a bit of resistance when I originally proposed the alum corps last year.

I'd love to see a BD "Reunion" show ala KAC, Madison, 27th and Bridgemen. SCV too. The problem with drum corps nowadays is that the personnel (still healthy enough to do a show like that) from SCV and BD is no longer local, so it is tough to get together a rehearsal or even form a unit.

I'd love to see a BD "Reunion" show ala KAC, Madison, 27th and Bridgemen. SCV too. The problem with drum corps nowadays is that the personnel (still healthy enough to do a show like that) from SCV and BD is no longer local, so it is tough to get together a rehearsal or even form a unit.

TELL me about it! That was one of teh reasons we had no percussion...too mkany interested parties were scattered. Brass can practice by themselves and blend together...percussion -- being much more visual -- has a MUCH harder time doing that.

I may pitch the idea of getting together again the future...but not unless we can get enough time to put EVERYone in.