Suggestions for a Plan 'C'

Option B: Cover up the sinkhole with the Terry Hoeppner rock currently sitting behind the other end zone. Less aesthetically pleasing, to be sure, but much cheaper and more cost-efficient and less time-consuming. :smile:

You know, on second thought, the undulation of a sink hole...or even the big rock...would make for really great GE opportunities! Maybe they should just have championships at IU with whatever field they give us? It would be interesting to see how corps handle performances without yard lines!

Hashmarks aside and all...this used to be SOP, right? 50-yard line doesn't sound like it has any problems.

Again, I can't see there being anything wrong with ND's field...pristine. Just don't know if they would want DCI tearing up their turf!

Seriously, does anybody know if/what the alternative to IU is? Is that what the mention of waiting until next Tuesday was in regards to?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only problem I see with ND and PU are that they're fields are real grass... 3-4 days of continuous use is not something grounds keepers like now and days.

Would "Touchdown Jesus" be renamed "Fermata Jesus"?

Let's be honest with ourselves. If DCI is forced to move, it will only be relocated to adequate sized stadiums within a reasonable distance from the original site; Indianapolis.

All of you people bring up these off the wall places....it's not going to happen. So let's narrow it down. Which stadiums are close enough to Indianapolis IN that are adequately sized to handle the crowd for DCI Finals night?

Notre Dame Stadium, South Bend IN 145miles; 3hr14m

Papa John's Stadium, Louisville KY 114miles; 1hr47m

Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette IN 70miles; 1hr18m

Paul Brown Stadium, Cincinatti OH 112miles; 1hr 50m

Ohio Stadium, Columbus OH 174miles; 2hr47m

Nippert Stadium, Cincinatti OH 112miles; 1hr 50m

Memorial Stadium, Champaign IL 127miles; 2hr6m

Soldier Field, Chicago IL 185miles; 3hr4m

Ryan Field, Chicago IL 203miles; 3hr34m

Better idea- forget all those and have it in DeKalb. Lots of seats, and more importantly, lots of TRADITION as a fantastic drum corps venue! :smile:

Better idea- forget all those and have it in DeKalb. Lots of seats, and more importantly, lots of TRADITION as a fantastic drum corps venue! :smile:

Way too small.....and there is always that risk of the football team running out on the field and knocking over the corps members as they perform :smile:

And something tells me that ND has that field in PERFECT condition! Brand new substructure due to renovations a few years back. And LOTS and LOTS of great history there! The PERFECT venue to follow up the Rose Bowl with!

Yes, I'm with SilverTrombone on this one. With a curse like this, we need to get a Higher Authority involved. Seriously, I'm for ND, IF NECESSARY

Oh, ah. . . one little thing I forgot to mention; I live in Michigan. Not that that makes any difference at all. :smile:

Edited by TrumpetCall

In all seriousness, maybe DCI needs to be talking with the University of Louisville about moving their Championship week events another 50-60 miles south to Louisville, KY. Papa John's Stadium is the next closest one that's big enough and might possibly be available.

Not big enough for finals.... I keep telling everyone, DCI needs to go to Columbus... Yes I know OSU wouldn't let them go there, but the stadium is sweet... Er, this is a scary thing...

Edited by jjeffeory

If there is a need for a Plan C, I would imagine DCI will need to make a statement either way ASAP. Of course, I realize they can't hurry up the engineers inspecting the field, but this being the second week of June and all . . .

Having said that, and I know NOTHING about football field repair, is this something that is likely to take more than two months to fix? Even if they have to bring up everything, prepare the ground again and resurface, how long of a job might this be? I would think that IU is even more eager to get the ball rolling on this for their football team.

Edited by TrumpetCall