St Johns Drum & Bugle Corps

As a message from the director, the colours will be the same burgandy and black!! we must remember this adventure is helping a corps going through a downswing in memebership right now, the all ages corps will be a very important part of the education of young people to the drum corps world, only with the youth of today will there be drum corps tommorow, the all ages allows people to get togethor that still have "it" , "it" being that bruning desire to march one more time to say i did it! and along thw way meet and educate new people in the great world of drum and bugle corps, enough of that sappy stuff lets show the world drum corps is not dead in canada and go kick some ###!!

:ninja:

So is this just going to be a short term thing until the junior corps gets back on it's feet or a DCA All Age Corps forever ?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is this just going to be a short term thing until the junior corps gets back on it's feet or a DCA All Age Corps forever ?

no this is a permanent thing, the all ages/dca corps is a function of so many people out there needing and wanting to march, southern ontarion is just like ny state we could support dozens of corps of all shapes and sizes, brantford gives the people of ontario a central location to exercise there needs, i myself have often wanted to march dca but the travel to practice and now the gas it's not reasonable at all, all ages/dca/alumni/whatever show that more people have left the drum corps world then are entering right now and the positive growth is towards older people that have aged out or want a less demanding tour and practice life, st johns is giving all people the chance to march from juniors corps dci style or all ages dca style, if that dosent fill there need then the united alumni senior corps from simcoe just 30 min down the road, anyone have questions or concerns feel free to contact me @ matt.dean@stjohnsdrumcorps.com, i am the acting director for the new all ages corps.

That's great news Matt! Thanks for doing what you are doing!

lets show the world drum corps is not dead in canada ...

Absolutely! :thumbup:

... and go kick some ###!!

:lol:

You're dreamin' ! :rolleyes:

Look - I think starting this all age corps is really great. But you're drawing from a pool of defunct mediocre div III corps, at best! You ain't kickin' nobody's ###! Not when you're up against X members of top DCI corps. So instead, go out there and have some FUN! But don't start telling the troops that they are going to be competitive, because you'll set them up for a huge let down. And then they may leave in frustration. I urge you to make this about having a good time. Get them excited about just performing again.

As an aside, make sure you hire some better instructors than what taught those Ontario div III corps that you're drawing from.

defunct mediocre div III corps, at best!

As an aside, make sure you hire some better instructors than what taught those Ontario div III corps that you're drawing from.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Ohhhhh but I do. And the results speak for themselves. I've watched these corps over the past 15 years and have felt embarrassed for all of them. From recent years of Dutchboy all the way down to HYPE. Often trying to play music way beyond their reach with absolutely no sense of execution and uncertain marching ability. Don't get me started on the HYPE horns from last year with the ad-lib waling - or the drums that, every year, look like it's the first day they strapped on a drum. The only thing I've been impressed with is the guard in some of these corps.

BUT, I always believe the talent is there. It just needs to be properly guided. And I believe that the executive of all remaining Ontario corps owe it to the corps members, and to the activity, to find good writers and instructors.

Sorry if I hit a nerve.

Ohhhhh but I do. And the results speak for themselves. I've watched these corps over the past 15 years and have felt embarrassed for all of them. From recent years of Dutchboy all the way down to HYPE. Often trying to play music way beyond their reach with absolutely no sense of execution and uncertain marching ability. Don't get me started on the HYPE horns from last year with the ad-lib waling - or the drums that, every year, look like it's the first day they strapped on a drum. The only thing I've been impressed with is the guard in some of these corps.

BUT, I always believe the talent is there. It just needs to be properly guided. And I believe that the executive of all remaining Ontario corps owe it to the corps members, and to the activity, to find good writers and instructors.

Sorry if I hit a nerve.

I stand by my last statement.

What's your name, where did/do you march, or do you prefer to hide behind a screen name?

Edited by Slow Adam

I have to agree with Adam on this one. That area is a HOTBED of talent! It won't take much time for people to get the vibe and click, once they do...watch out! It will be great!

I really don't think St. John's DCA corps will tap from the younger Div III corps as of late. There are a lot of people lurking around out there from the Dutch Boy days, Kiwanis Kavaliers, Academy Musicale, etc...

If I may...

Since we are talking about ALL AGE here, I would have to say that there may be some men and women who are my age and marched in the 1970's too. May I mention that Ontario had two DCI top 12 corps in the Etobicoke-Oakland Crusaders and the Seneca Optimists. Lets add Dutchboy,Kiwanis Kavaliers, Ventures, Canadian Knights, Midlanders, Flying Dutchmen, Kinsmen Krescendos and lets throw in Guelph RoyalAires and the Regionnaires too.

Chester85 has his opinion. Drum corps in Ontario has not been the same since the 1970's. Dutchboy did a great job building a top 12 corps but like the rest couldn't sustain the program. Hopefully this new corps has learned from the previous mistakes that all the corps before them made and come out kicking butt.

Work hard and prove Chester wrong!