Done with I&E.

My thinking is, the liability mentioned is to this activity's image to the general public. There is no question, those already familiar with some of our Friday night antics are OK, and even look forward to, whatever someone's wild imagination brings to the table each year. We get it!

However (isn't there always a however). . .

looking at what DCA hopes to bring to any community over Labor Day Weekend, in totality, has NOTHING to do with outrageous and controversial behavior, nor should it.

Although understood, and seen as fun, by we "insiders," ANY POSSIBLE display of this activity that is far-removed from what an unknowing public and media would expect from this type of gathering is best to be avoided, or kept as hidden as possible.

If but one corps appears naked (for example), ALL corps are seen by that community as equally naked, provocative and inappropriate.

Any group that seems most likely (based on past history) NOT to understand, nor care, how its unique presentation might confuse the host community, is a group that should not be welcome in certain highly visible settings. That determination (right or wrong) is the privilege of the governing administration.

In other words, Lee . . . ZIP IT!

:tongue:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If but one corps appears naked (for example), ALL corps are seen by that community as equally naked, provocative and inappropriate.

So ban nuddity. *shrug*

Banning a group because they are probably going to be provocative and silly is silly in and of itself. The same argument could be made for banning some other group because their performance could make the fans see all Drum Corps as pretentious and boring.

The good of the activity as a whole is best served by diversity.

My thinking is, the liability mentioned is to this activity's image to the general public. There is no question, those already familiar with some of our Friday night antics are OK, and even look forward to, whatever someone's wild imagination brings to the table each year. We get it!

However (isn't there always a however). . .

looking at what DCA hopes to bring to any community over Labor Day Weekend, in totality, has NOTHING to do with outrageous and controversial behavior, nor should it.

Although understood, and seen as fun, by we "insiders," ANY POSSIBLE display of this activity that is far-removed from what an unknowing public and media would expect from this type of gathering is best to be avoided, or kept as hidden as possible.

Any group that seems most likely (based on past history) NOT to understand, nor care, how its unique presentation might confuse the host community, is a group that should not be welcome in certain highly visible settings. That determination (right or wrong) is the privilege of the governing administration.

In other words, Lee . . . ZIP IT!

A heavy hand with an eye on the big picture.

Dare ye kings to silence the artist, but the art will last for all time...

Ed Sullivan: "You'll never play the Ed Sullivan Show!"

Jim Morrisson: "We already played the Ed Sullivan Show."

CF joins Morrison, Hendrix, Joplin, Cobain and Elvis.

And infamy lasts forever.

Amen.

well ####. now we have to find a new controversy for the summer

censorship has nothing to do with. When I said they can't perform in the Mini show I was referrring to this thread which was about the reunion of C Frog. This would be a group with 120+ . I did suggest there are ways they can compete/perform.

Since some can't figure out the liabilities, will you guarentee that the stage can support this many people. Of course there is no possiblity that some one might fall off the stage. Will there be people mingling with the spectators, if some one gets knocked down in the aisle so what! In case you don't know every Mini Corps Post an insurance bond of 1 million.

I can not go to the Convention People and tell them that things are going to be different, this year, we have a group with 120 + , that may or may not have been drinking all night, that won't know what they are doing untill 1/2 hour before they perform, and oh yes I have no idea how long they will be on stage.

Any one can enter the I&E if they are within the rules! Antrax did last year and there was no complaint from me, Crunchy Frog Chorus two years ago with no complaints.

I have always prided myself on being fair to all contestants, and got a bit annoyed at being accused of censoring anyone idea of DC art.

well ####. now we have to find a new controversy for the summer

submit a bid. :smile:

Since some can't figure out the liabilities, will you guarentee that the stage can support this many people. Of course there is no possiblity that some one might fall off the stage. Will there be people mingling with the spectators, if some one gets knocked down in the aisle so what! In case you don't know every Mini Corps Post an insurance bond of 1 million.

Never saw CF but did see the "stage" in 2006. "Stage" as in what appeared to be a bunch a risers shoved together.

Crapload of people on top of the "stage" ---> :smile:

Have to agree with Dick...

censorship has nothing to do with. When I said they can't perform in the Mini show I was referrring to this thread which was about the reunion of C Frog. This would be a group with 120+ .

You're assuming all the CF alums would show up....and that stage doesn't have the room for that many people to stand together playing instruments anyway....you gave no thought to the idea of perhaps restricting the numbers actually on the stage for valid safety concerns and having the rest be on the floor in front of it...a little thought or even time could've given someoine a chance to come up with an idea.

I did suggest there are ways they can compete/perform.

No....all you said was that there were other ways they could appear...you provided no suggestions....that's the equivalent of "figure it out."

I can't think anyone would be against reasonable restrictions IF they are aware of the reasoning behind it....but at least take 5 seconds and explain WHY those restrictions are there.