Driving To Your Corps

Driving to rehearsals/performances  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How far do you drive to get to rehearsal?

• I am not currently Marching
    • 0 - 10 miles
    • 11 - 20 miles
    • 21 - 30 miles
    • 31 - 40 miles
    • 41 - 50 miles
    • 51+ miles
  2. 2. Do you drive to perfomances? If so, what is the furthest you have to drive to a performance?

• I am not currently marching
    • 0 - 10 miles
    • 11 - 20 miles
    • 21 - 30 miles
    • 31 - 40 miles
    • 41 - 50 miles
    • 51+ miles

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

380 miles from NYC to Rochester.....

Driving a small car.. Costs about $150 per weekend.

NYC Gas....$4.40/gallon...

Looking forward to the Corps being in CT next weekend... And then Boston, Reading, & Scranton!

I do feel for my people coming from Rochester.. This season is going to hurt the wallet of some. :blink:

David

-------------------

Public Relations

Rochester Crusaders Drum & Bugle Corps

Since when you work construction. Ever work in a paper mill? Know what Black liquor is or smells like? Know what a pulp mill smells like? Not all Drum Corps' people work in an office type setting.

One "S" would have been good enough (shower) but where? It was just simpler to do the drive. Eating took place later.........like 11 or 12 that night. Just sayin.....

Well, can't say I have. But that's about two gallons of gas, which is about $8 these days. Might be simpler(can't say cheaper depending on location and frequency) to get a gym membership local like and use their showers. Various truck stops have showers. And other options(YMCA) that may not require a 60 mile trek round trip. Although I can understand doing it given other things, like letting the dog out, killing a couple of hours of time, Hot Pockets ($2.16) instead of McD's ($7.95). And stuff. Growing up in California and riding a bicycle till I was almost 21 sort of got me in a different frame of mind. And otherwise killed most of my senses of smell. Sometimes a blessing, sometimes a curse.

So, here's another question... With the long distances mentioned in this thread, do any of you bypass other corps' sites to get to your own?

For Freelancers, yes I did bypass VK in the process. But my younger and happier years were in/near Sacramento. Most of my SoCal years were rather horrid.

For Kilties I bypassed GCS, Frontier, and probably some others. But like others said, 2 hours, or 22.5 hours, not much difference. It was at least a different path, and at certain times of the year, you got to see all four seasons in under 24 hours. And it was never quite the same, since you went past one part at night one trek, and daylight the next. I never knew there was a lake there. So it's a bridge, not a mountain that makes this road do the humpty dump. I knew the bat cave was around here somewhere. But I still haven't found it.

But for most corps. Westshoremen, Cincinnati Tradition, GCS, no other corps were any closer at that time.

QUOTE (LegalEagle50 @ Jun 18 2008, 05:53 AM)

Uhm... 11 miles.

Consider yourselves VERY LUCKY!!!! :blink:

you mis-quoted me. my comment was that i never knew it was 11 miles from Newark to Bayonne. after that first 100 miles one way i stop counting. :blink:

Man you out of Towners and out of Staters are really dedicated :blink:

thanks Rob :blink:

Quoting myself: Edit: OK I had to look where Rivere du Loup is. About 120 miles from Jonquierre/Arvida. (Arvida is sticking in my head as first French Canadian corps members I ever talking to were Les Ambassaduers from Arvida.)

I ever TALKING to???? Dang, sounds like I'm the one who has English as a second language. :blink:

Forgot to mention it was 1979 DCA at Hershey where I talked to the corps members.

hehe I understood what you meant anyway... (boy do I get that often... lol)

Wow in 1979? Really? Cool! I was born that year. :blink:

about 180 miles/3 hours home to camp one

typically drive to performances, easily over 600 miles one way.

hey john,i bet i got them all beat by miles and miles...........matter of fact i could not answer the poll cause i have driven "off the charts!!"

The years I marched with Sunrisers. I lived in Edison, NJ, and took that crazy ride through NYC out to Long Island (along with a bunch of other Sun members from NJ). The mileage wasn't horrible, but the traffic situation was nuts.

Then in 1986.... a few years after I left the corps...... Sun moved to Edison. Only a few miles from where I lived.

Go figure. :blink:

Fran