2008 Standings

Here's what I just love about judging... Most people in my corps felt our better show was Saturday, which kind of legitimizes the "knowing what to look for on the second read" theory. On Sunday the judges might have just known what to look for.

There's been a lot of times where we've had "bad" shows jump up in score and "good" shows fall in score from a previous bad one. For one year this seemed so ridiculously true that the corps rally cry was "Score of zero!" I play the numbers game with a grain of salt.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it just possible that some of the mistakes made in the first nights show, were corrected in rehearsal before the next days show? I know i corrected a missed horns down, amongst other things, and my knee did not do the "pop and crunch" that it did the first night which caused a bit of a stumble. If a good number of the corps all chose one thing from the night before and made sure they did that better, a 2 point jump is the least you could hope for.

these scores dont reflect potential.. just what we do with it on the field. that can change from night to night. That dosent de- legitimize the scores.

Well don't look for DCI judges to be the best! Not exactly sure how you can have the best performance you've had all season and get tanked 30 points in brass by a judge who basically said we'd never see him at a DCA show so what did it matter. Yes......a formal complaint is in the works! :tongue:

Quick question: "tanked 30 points in brass by a judge"? Is that a typo and you meant 3 pts? Recaps aren't available, but the total brass on a sheet is 40. One judge only has 20 pts (20 each for field and ensemble).

Or are you saying you got a 10 in total brass?

If so, that is strange; split and you'd have a 5 from the field judge and a 5 from the ensemble judge. ??

Isn't it just possible that some of the mistakes made in the first nights show, were corrected in rehearsal before the next days show? I know i corrected a missed horns down, amongst other things, and my knee did not do the "pop and crunch" that it did the first night which caused a bit of a stumble. If a good number of the corps all chose one thing from the night before and made sure they did that better, a 2 point jump is the least you could hope for.

these scores dont reflect potential.. just what we do with it on the field. that can change from night to night. That dosent de- legitimize the scores.

Unfortunately the 'tick' system is gone.

Unfortunately the 'tick' system is gone.

True, but if the changes Chester mentioned improve the overall effect, that should improve the score, too.

Also, I would imagine the MN corps spent part of Friday night traveling, and having their sleep interrupted. Sunday's jump could also be attributed to being better-rested, and thus, mentally and physically being able to perform better.

Here's what I just love about judging... Most people in my corps felt our better show was Saturday, which kind of legitimizes the "knowing what to look for on the second read" theory. On Sunday the judges might have just known what to look for.

There's been a lot of times where we've had "bad" shows jump up in score and "good" shows fall in score from a previous bad one. For one year this seemed so ridiculously true that the corps rally cry was "Score of zero!" I play the numbers game with a grain of salt.

I know what you are saying.

Even back in the "Good Ole Dayz"

I was with the NYC Skyliners. Our "Off The Line", was just not working out. So after about 3 weeks. It was desided to scap it. We spent 1/2 our practice time the next three weeks or so. Learning a new one.

The first week we put it in. We really hit it. Did a Fantastic job. It was in Baltimore at the Yankee Rebels contest. The Crowd went absoluly bonkers, crazy. One of the best shows we did all year. Leaving the field the crowd would not stop cheering.

So at retreat, when we were announced in 2nd Place, the crowd went Nuts again. They were Not Happy Campers. We got a Standing "O" as we trooped off the field, that night, playing our New off the Line.

WE know who won that night. But it still hurt!

Also, I would imagine the MN corps spent part of Friday night traveling, and having their sleep interrupted. Sunday's jump could also be attributed to being better-rested, and thus, mentally and physically being able to perform better.

Honestly? We felt better rested and more energetic on Saturday. Our quick stop for a bite to eat wasn't so quick after the show, though, so that might be a factor in not feeling as rested on Sunday.

Oh, and the Perkins staff in Racine officially hates us. :tongue:

Honestly? We felt better rested and more energetic on Saturday. Our quick stop for a bite to eat wasn't so quick after the show, though, so that might be a factor in not feeling as rested on Sunday.

Oh, and the Perkins staff in Racine officially hates us. :worthy:

Well, I tried.... :omg:

And if it's any consolation, I don't think the Racine Applebee's staff is too fond of our little group after Saturday. :tongue: But they were warned that were in a hurry.......

except there was no clear definition of what a tick was. if your snares tuned high, every little fuzz came thru clearly. if you tuned muddier, you could get the benefit of the doubt...if the judge liked your tuning.

from stories i have heard, a lot of what a tick was came from what the judge liked/didn't like, so really, was it any less subjective? I've never seen a rule book explaining specifically what a tick was...it was subjective upon the judges tolerance

a missed attack or release was a tick. dirty rolls = tick. wrong sticking = tick. late horns up = tick. late step off = tick. i don't recall any gray murky questions about them. GE was a different story. It wasn't execution, but the judges opinion. It's the same today, only execution is an opinion as well today.

Edited by Mike_B

Why is the Minn jump so hard to believe? It was the 2nd night of viewing, if each judge went up 3 tenths the total score would jump 2.4. This would still keep every judge in the same part of their Criteria Reference Scale.

When a judge Ranks and Rates, the way I understand it, He must stay true to his/hers, reference scale. So a little better and little poorer performance has very little to do with his score if its placed on the Criteria scale correct.

Maybe some judges or instructors who understand the system might chime in.

DCA has some fine judges across the board, some are still DCI judges most have been DCI judges, a very talented crew. Mr. templin has done a great job recruiting.