The Official 2008 Phantom Regiment Discussion Thread

So it once again comes down to design theory? My observation of the corps after 04, and having taken a nice long break from the activity, was that PR was doing "drums and bugles" and the top units seemed to be doind "visual and GE" designing. Makes for more memorable musical moments, but not a half dozen championships! That's fine--if I have to choose one or the other, I'll take entertainment and memorable moments, I guess.

I've just never viewed the two to be mutually exclusive as many of you green, blue and maroon-colored kool-aid drinkers will attest!

I've harped on calendar management and a few folks countered my questions in the early season with, "Oh, they've got it together this year!" Indeed. I don't see it in the recaps. Maybe that will change in the coming weeks. But if the final show isn't basically on the field this week, its too late--regardless of the results in the recaps. So I ask once again: Has this aspect of design management truly changed? Or were some honks running around a month ago blabbing about that which they knew nothing of?

Last, classical music provides the perfect vehicle to do "theme" or "story-telling" drum corps. Yet "absurdity" and "The Twilight Zone" rule the day. Why is this? If Rockford is shooting for 4th place...well, then they're almost as consistent as BD is at shooting for 1st, and that is my point. Why not make a few minor adjustments and up the standard? I'm not the only one who would go off for a championship...white unis in retreat "in the end zone," so to speak (I know, I know...they don't do that any more).

The existing designers could probably accomplish this, too--it wouldn't take wholesale changes! Put the show on the field, move when you need to and play in place occassionally to take advantage of your musicality! Works for others. My $0.02.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've pondered this quite a while myself.With the exception of '96, Regiment's most successful shows over the past 20 years have been their more contemporary music offerings. It seems to allow them to do more hip drill, maybe?

DO NOT GIVE UP ON THIS SHOW (from a placement standpoint)!!!! The G.E. is going to skyrocket soon! The performance scores are great and the visual is VERY dependent on who the judges are. Regiment does NOT have dirty feet. Perfect? No. Dirty? Absolutely not.

Edited by Phansouth

I've pondered this quite a while myself.With the exception of '96, Regiment's most successful shows over the past 20 years have been their more contemporary music offerings. It seems to allow them to do more hip drill, maybe?

DO NOT GIVE UP ON THIS SHOW (from a placement standpoint)!!!! The G.E. is going to skyrocket soon! The performance scores are great and the visual is VERY dependent on who the judges are. Regiment does NOT have dirty feet. Perfect? No. Dirty? Absolutely not.

This is my biggest fear with the show. I haven't seen any indication that their GE scores are going to move up. I hope you're right, but both vis and mus GE have been too low (in my opinion) and I'm not sure they're going to elevate enough to put PR in contention.

For the record,

ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE who knows me KNOWS, that the 1981-and especially the 1982 shows of Regiment is my ABSOLUTE fave, and I am a die hard Phantom Phan and supporter.. have been and WILL MAIN SO until I draw my last breath, AND

All my ranting/raving/posting about what I hope Regiment will/could/should do are just my .02 and heartfelt, wishful thinking on my, as well as many others' parts. I love this show more than anything, and wish Regiment all the best this season....

YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO, and hopefully when.... I simply can't wait until you do and,like the roman army under Spartacus himself ----- CRUSH the offensive!

I LOVE YOU GUYS and keep you doing what you do best...........

SUTA!

Not sure where I posted it earlier in the season but tonights score in TN is exactly what I have been looking for since seening the show 4 times in a row on the AZ-CA tour swing. Just like 06 this is a story show that will only grow better as they close in on finals. I am pretty sure that when I go to the quarterfinals broadcast I will be seeing something very different than what I saw in early July.

Also, it seems to me that when you tell a story with a show the GE scores sometimes are the last thing to fall into place as the Corps gain experience selling the story to the audience and judges.

I am starting to get a good feeling about what will happen with Spartacus!!!

I just got back to Murf, talked with Dan Farrell this afternoon. THERE WILL BE NO BIG NEW ENDING! Guess what... after seeing them practice and seeing them live tonight... THEY DON'T NEED ONE! This show can win! But that really doesn't matter. What matters is this: an epic has been created here. Biggest audince reaction of the night (HUGE crowd btw) Crown got a close second, but this crowd was as passionate about Regiment as Regiment was about their performance.

SUTA to Rick Valenzuela, Dan farrell and your wonderful staff! Thank you! (dan said he doesn't read these boards... ha!

SUTA for what I heard was an awesome performance in the Murf, tonight. Go Regiment!

Go Regiment Percussion - nice showing in Murfreesboro. Good luck tomorrow!

Excellent showing for the Regiment tonight. Oh, how I am happy that they are closing in (but wish it were the Devils instead). Again, after perusing the recaps is VISUAL, this is their major weakness. GE and MUSIC are great! I'm hoping for an 06 turn around, specifically in the Vis dept. Hopefully guard and feet will continue to work and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. GO REGIMENT!!!