snare drummers over 40?

Frank,

You're just a kid!! :angry:

I marched snare with the Sunrisers up to last year (55) when I filled in a soprano spot. this year I was playing Contra until the corps went inactive.

As Frank says, it just takes desire and preparation!

I was going to say the legendary Mr. Visconti but he got there ahead of me.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great :lookaround:

love all the input

Lets do an "old phart 40foto" prelims night. Where and how? and bring your teeth :smile:

Btw, 40 is the new 20 which would bring me back to 36. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lookaround:

Edited by Fastone

Optimists snare line from left to right:

55ish, 65ish, almost 70, low 50s, almost 50 (me), 72, 55ish, 50ish.

hope that helps,

Regards,

John

For the record (I got my fingers slapped by Mr. right end of the line)

54, 68, 68, low 50s, counting days to 50, 72, 55ish and 47.

and since I changed the order of the line it's now:

68, 54, 68, me, the guy of indeterminent age in the mid 50s, and the rest.

Sometimes we sound like we're 20, sometimes 90.

Regards,

John

Alright John Mayer,

I'm thinking about it...

I'd better start racking more iron on the squat rack and crank up my HIIT.

Isn't Rick Rogers getting up there!? :thumbup:

Yep...you betcha ! 53 and healthier than most 20 year olds...the martial arts thing, ya know ! :tongue:

Love ya Tom !! ...see you in Rochester, and best of luck with Brigs this weekend !

Alright, this 49 year old is getting ready for a couple of 4th of July parades, so this thread needs a bump.

What other 40+ snares will be out there humping it over the asphalt this Friday?

(If your over 40 and playing tenors, chime in too. Those things are PIGS!)

:thumbup:

What's Up! It's Ronnie with Gulf Coast Sound. This is my second go-round on the snare drum. I played back in high school and college in the '70s and early '80s. I started playing again back in 2002 and have marched with GCS since 2004. I turn 49 next week.

Alright, this 49 year old is getting ready for a couple of 4th of July parades, so this thread needs a bump.

What other 40+ snares will be out there humping it over the asphalt this Friday?

(If your over 40 and playing tenors, chime in too. Those things are PIGS!)

:worthy:

Kiltie Sr. charter member Russ Trawicki is 50-something and will march 3 parades tomorrow: Union Grove, WI, Racine, WI, and Sommers, WI. God bless him and all you other age-advantaged battery people! Have a great 4th!

I was thinking of Ronnie and a few dudes from the Kilts when I started this thread. I have always had lots of respect for these guys, and wondered if I was up for the task as well.

*** Whoops JC already posted. Ah well, it's already written so you get back to back Kilties posts - enjoy. ***

Kilties this year have quite a mix of ages with three in the 40+ club (no way I'm going to guess actual ages because I'm no good at it). Russ is our long standing vet in the snare line with 15+ years in already. Dennis is also in the 40+ club and this will be his 7th year in the snare line. The last 40 and over is Tim who is a Scouts alumnus and a Kilties Rookie this season. The rest of the 8-person snareline consists of a few late 20 early 30 somethings (myself, Chris, and John) and two more (another Ryan and Suzanne) that were in HS this past year. At times the biggest challenge isn't getting the line to play together, but rather getting the whole line to agree on ANYTHING. :worthy: It really is a multi-generational line this year and how often did you agree with your parents??? As a side note, two of the snares, Dennis and Suzanne actually are Father-Daughter!

For me in my mid 30s, my career in DCA is already closer to the end than the beginning. I've always been the type that wanted my DCA experiance to be similar to what my DCI days were like - always a challenge and pushing me to my physical limits. To paraphrase Tom Hanks "it's the hard that makes it great" and when I reach a point that I'm only able to do things with a drum that just anyone can do, it just won't mean that much to me anymore. The year I marched Chops I was 33, yet I was older than the entire battery and staff and trust me there were days it felt that way. Doing drum feature drill at 6 to 5 and 4 to 5 step sizes isn't easy for these "old" knees anymore, but I would not trade any of it (even the 90 degree days) for anything because I knew that I was maxing out my potential and looking back it makes it that much more satisfying to have done it.

Maybe my views will change as the years go by and my standards will change, but for now the harder, the better! Interesting topic John, see you in a few weeks.

Ryan J

Edited by Irish-Kiltie