snare drummers over 40?

For me, in my mid 30s, the end of my career in DCA is already nearing the end. I've always been the type that wanted my DCA experiance to be similar to what my DCI days were like - always a challenge and pushing me to my physical limits. To paraphrase Tom Hanks "it's the hard that makes it great" and when I reach a point that I'm only able to do things with a drum that just anyone can do, it just won't mean that much to me anymore. The year I marched Chops I was 33, yet I was older than the entire battery and staff and trust me there were days it felt that way. Doing drum feature drill at 6 to 5 and 4 to 5 step sizes isn't easy for these "old" knees anymore, but I would not trade any of it (even the 90 degree days) for anything because I knew that I was maxing out my potential and looking back it makes it that much more satisfying to have done it.

Ryan J

I'd like to digress a bit from the topic and comment on what Ryan has said. I agree that the most rewarding part of corps for me as well is when I have been pushed to my limits and been able to perform. I have 15 years on Ryan so my idea of what pushes me to my limits is probably a bit different! But when we were learning this drill this spring I was actually excited that I was going to have to run on occasion. Im still not at a good weight to perform this show so much of the challenge in doing this show is self inflicted, but when I get off that field wringing wet from the effort, its really a good feeling. And this is probably where my comments veer back into the spirit of the original post. Lots of us oldsters relish the opportunity to feel like we did in our juniors days .

I guess Dan Acheson is right, we're just trying to relive our younger days, and frankly I dont see anything wrong with that. The trick is to recognize when your body is giving you the signals that you cant hack it anymore!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last 40 and over is Tim who is a Scouts alumnus and a Kilties Rookie this season.

He also marched in the UW Band with me, and was a roommate of mine in college.

Great player, and a great guy to boot!

Go Tim!

Many a snare over 40 has entered the I&E. Skyliners have three or four usually.

I went and saw the Cavaliers Alumni Corps practice tonight. Most of that snareline that was there tonight (about 1/2 the total for their program) were clearly way over 40... and KICKING SOME ###!! Nice backsticking!!

Nice! :smile:

All right, it's the 4th of July. Let's saddle up!

I'm over 40 now, and it would probably take me about a year to get my chops back in shape. Have to give credit to those who stay with it though. :smile:

G. Garrett said:

"I went and saw the Cavaliers Alumni Corps practice tonight. Most of that snareline that was there tonight (about 1/2 the total for their program) were clearly way over 40... and KICKING SOME ###!! Nice backsticking!!"

I know the original thread was for Open Class and Class A, but since Cavaliers Alumni were mentioned, I thought I'd chime in about our Cabs alumni snares. There are six of us, and all are fifty or over to my knowledge. I just turned sixty last week, and I know that at least two others are older. No, we don't move around the field quite as well as we used to, but ask anyone who has seen us, and I think they'll tell you we can still play!

G. Garrett said:

"I went and saw the Cavaliers Alumni Corps practice tonight. Most of that snareline that was there tonight (about 1/2 the total for their program) were clearly way over 40... and KICKING SOME ###!! Nice backsticking!!"

I know the original thread was for Open Class and Class A, but since Cavaliers Alumni were mentioned, I thought I'd chime in about our Cabs alumni snares. There are six of us, and all are fifty or over to my knowledge. I just turned sixty last week, and I know that at least two others are older. No, we don't move around the field quite as well as we used to, but ask anyone who has seen us, and I think they'll tell you we can still play!

Smitty,

I had been reluctant to enter the fray on this thread because, as you said, it was initially aimed toward Open and Class A corps. I will say, however, that there are still some d####ed fine drummers over 40, or 50, or even 60.

In your own case, for example, I would put you and the other five olde phartes up against any snare line around. True, you don't play on Formica. True, you don't take lengthy "breathers" throughout the program. And true, you don't have to move around the field at a dead run.

But in terms of pure drumming, you guys can still show the kids a thing or two (or three). If you six, and some of the Skyliner alumni, and some of the Park City folks would take the time to enter the I&E's, I would wager that the kids would be very hard pressed.

And if anyone doesn't believe me, come to Clifton - where the Cabs Alumni drum line will be doing it's warmups outside the front of the stadium. That alone would be worth the trip.

Andy

For the new guy....

The 2007 Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni Corps average age was 49....we had a very few sons/daughters marching who were early-20's down, but some members pushing 70....I'd say most were 45-55....

I have heard some of the drummers talk (now, after the fact) about how tough it was to march a full field show...

...our 15 snares were Kmen alumni from '71-'76 (IIRC)....so no 40 yr olds there...

....and, as you can see, we marched tymps, too...

http://www.coloneljake.com/BAM1BAM/AK2007/

....I'd have to say, a lot of this is all about a burning desire to march again....

I have a theory, it's not that we can't do it anymore, it just hurts more!

Seriously, as one of the oldest females competing out there in DCA (I think), I would be lying if I said there aren't Sunday mornings when my body is screaming at me to stop. But every member has those moments.

For those of us who are on the competing field in our fifties or older...I think it is because we don't even think about our age when we run on the field, give 150% to every set we rehearse or note we play. I think it's because we just don't make an issue out of it, or even think about it. We just do it. At least that's it for me.

Of course I use my age as an excuse in the water line (joke) and I cannot sleep on the floor all night and do practice the next day. But I can party most of the night, and still hang through the next day.

If I think how old my bones are, or worry about them, it takes away from my focus on the field and the enjoyment of this activity. I rehearse like I am twenty, perform like I am twenty, love this activity like I am twenty and yes - i party like I am twenty also - well most of the time.

This activity keeps me YOUTHFUL. The youngest of our members inspire me with their talent and hope for the future. The teachers and mentors are amazing and hopefully realize the gifts they offer the members they teach - no matter the age of the member.

I am really lucky, I do stay in shape and always realize that my health is a gift from above and take as good care of myself as I can. My big issue is being coherent at my 8:30 am meeting on Monday mornings with our CFO. Now that hurts. ;) Thank God for DD Turbo Hot. :thumbup:

We need to have an old fart toast at DCA's... now that's an idea. See ya on the 50.

A story:

I am Tony and I had given up... I had been in a sales industry that did not require physical conditioning and I allowed myself to get into really poor shape, it effected my health and I was on my way downhill fast! The desire to be in corps saved me and I will do this for the rest of my life if for no other reason than to repay drum corps for saving me... (Although I am sidelined this season due to family illnesse and finances)

So I show up to a Renegades Camp in February of 2006 weighing in at 390! I see my old friends whom I have fallen out of contact with since my Junior Corps days... 24 years! And I get excited about it. Now I will not try to convince you what happened next was easy because it was not.

My son Steven wanted to march so we both joined. I figured with him being 17 I should be there to keep him out of trouble. He was having a blast and I although loving being a Renegade, was totally miserable. I would come home from camp and fall into my bed in absolute agony and take monday off! Steven was loving it and so even though I wanted to quit over and over again I couldn't quit, I had to keep coming. As time went by I got more and more into it. The people in my section stopped taking bets as to whether I would keel over and die at the end of set rehearsal!

I performed at DCA finals that year at 320 pounds! (after performing in a hurricane the night before) Since then I have marched yet another season, without my son, I didn't need him for motivation this time and I am now at 230 pounds... I have maybe 30 more to loose and I am thankful for the gift of life that My son, The Renegades and all of my friends have given me... I am Tony Signorelli, I am 46 years old and I march Lead Baritone on the field right along side of anyone at any age!

Sorry to hyjack the thread I know this is for Snare Drummers but I was inspired by the stories!

G. Garrett said:

:thumbup:

It would be an honor to come check you guys out sometime! Much respect from this 40 something snare drummer to you, Smitty!!

Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday, too, I see!