Corps in Fourth of July Parades

We did the parade in Wyomissing this morning - in the pouring rain. We stopped off on the way home to visit my wife's sister and just got home at 4:23 and my clothes were still damp. Great crowd out for the parade, though, no dampened spirits.

Good luck and good weather to everyone yet to march.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK.... so I slept in this morning and missed the Towson parade.... again.

Maybe next year. :thumbup:

Fran

HURRICANES 4th, norwood, mass................parade

4th, bristol, r.i........................parade

5th, harve de grace, md.......... parade

5th, manassas, va...........,,,,,,,,contest

4 states in 2 days.....PHEWWW!!! :thumbup:

Thursday night trying to get to sleep early and at 10:30PM some wierd noise is wakeing me up...

Oh ### it's pouring :w00t:

Rain the whole way from Camp Hill to Hanover (car trip) and Hanover to well past Hunt Valley, MD. Cleared up at Dundalk about 15-30 minutes before the parade... then stayed dry. :w00t: Good grief, even bought coffee 6AM at Hanover to warm up....

Saw Carolina Gold, Fusion, Florida Sun, Buccs, MCL so 6 corps counting us at the first two parades. :thumbup: Met Jerry Ware and ? (bad memory for names) of the Buccs face to face at Towson and talked to my Carolina/Bridgemen Alum friends before Dundalk which has turned into a tradition.

Sitting here trying to unstiffen :w00t: and leave for the Havre de Grace bus in little over an hour. Time to see the Rebs, Hurrcs (just read fish66), Fusion, Baltimore Ravens band (look for another DCPer) and whoever else shows up.

Laughs of the day: Being called "Sir" by two Fusion members :winky: amd seeing a very calm Yorkshire Terrier at the Towson legion. Then I found out the Yorkie wasn't calm, it was fixated on a hot dog on it's masters plate. (Have to be around Yorkies/small dogs to appreciate that one.)

PS - Just missed seeing the Marine D&BC on TV last night as we were out.

Edit: Thank you Christine as the two days of Independence Day parades has turned into my #3 biggest fun time for Drum Corps #1 is DCA and #2 is Mini corps contest/corps concert/Hall of Fame Breakfast at Harrisburg in April.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Frontier had a full day of performances, both with the corps proper and a very special smaller Bb/F concert instrument ensemble put together solely for the purpose of putting together a patriotic repertoire for the day.

Our day started early (as I was one of the members of the ensemble) at the church of the employer of one of our baritone players, where we played to a very grateful and patriotic crowd (at one point these little children ran up and sat in front of us waving little American flags, I almost got choked up it was so cute) after which we had to rush off and join the Frontier corps proper in a parade in Denton, TX ALREADY IN PROGRESS (talk about a tight schedule!)

As Frontier was the lead unit in the parade, it was not hard to catch up with them we simply walked the parade route backwards until we ran into each other LOL! After the parade was over, we were asked to play our "Star Spangled Banner" arrangement, a very lush fanfare ridden arrangment inspired by a John Williams arrangement of "Star", during a flag raising.

After this my immediate group went off to have a bite and a few drinks, during which I played a game of darts with a good buddy and fellow mellophone player who just happened to march Cavies 2004 and so we're always clowning each other as I'm a Devils/SCV alumni and the jokes never stop. After I kicked his butt, just to rub it in I walked over to the scoreboard and wrote "Winner" over my column and "Loser" over his, and without missing a beat he walked right up to the scoreboard and wrote "BD" over "Loser", and "Cavies" over "Winner"! NEVER a dull moment in our mellophone section, I'll tell you that!

After that we attended a BBQ/DCA viewing party at Chris Green's house, had a great time (AND a few more drinks) watching videos, I got to see my beloved Renegades vids from 04 and 05 STUNNING some of those present who had never seen Renegades before. We also saw some great videos of Hawthorne, Buccaneers, Minnesota Brass, Bushwackers, and, of course..........FRONTIER!

Then we went to this HUGE 4th of July Spectacular in Richardson, TX where we did a standstill with the corps proper and AGAIN with the Bb/F patriotic ensemble, and we were a huge hit! (As my section leader couldn't make it, I had to cover 4 mellophone solos in the show but I'm an attention whore so it's OK)

Then my brother Russ and I (he's also in the corps) drove home to Oak Point, TX where the fireworks in our neighborhood produced a display that could only be described as World War III, which went at LEAST until 3am!

This was the 4th of July as I experienced it as a humble member of the mellophone section of the Frontier Drum & Bugle Corps from Denton, TX and I wouldn't have spent my 4th any other way.

Know of six corps at Havre de Grace, MD this afternoon, half Alumni type and half competing.

CT Hurricanes, Music City Legend, Fusion (all at Manassas, VA show few hours later) :winky:

Hanover Lancers, Yankee Rebels and Archer Epler Musketeers...

Plus Baltimore Ravens band, town band that I messed the name but they looked #### sharp as we left, and bag pipers I saw walking around.

Also euponitone/Nick found me as I was getting off the bus and and we had a good chat. See... a older DCA fan and a younger DCI fan can get together without trouble. :thumbup::w00t: It was too hot for flames anyway. :w00t: :w00t:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Know of six corps at Havre de Grace, MD this afternoon, half Alumni type and half competing.

CT Hurricanes, Music City Legend, Fusion (all at Manassas, VA show few hours later) :beer:

Hanover Lancers, Yankee Rebels and Archer Epler Musketeers...

Plus Baltimore Ravens band, town band that I messed the name but they looked #### sharp as we left, and bag pipers I saw walking around.

Also euponitone/Nick found me as I was getting off the bus and and we had a good chat. See... a older DCA fan and a younger DCI fan can get together without trouble. :tongue::beer: It was too hot for flames anyway. :blink::beer:

Hey Jim,

How are you feeling today after all those parades! We only did one and I felt it. :blink:

That town band was pretty good. I think they got bigger this year. Everyone played going by us except the Lancers and Music City Legend. Archie gave us a present arms going past showing lots of class!

You looked nice and cool in your summer uniform. We were pretty much dead last with only the street sweepers behind us so we got to see everyone. Alliance from Atlanta was there as well. The good thing about being last is we get to see everybody but the bad thing is we have to wait longer for the party we have back at the American Legion afterwards. But, it's all good. :beer:

Robbie