Flaming bag on the front door step

Do you like the show concept?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Forget execution. Do you like the show concept and script?

• Yes
    • No

Figure out those "Quote" and "Reply" buttons yet?

:P

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took care of the dups. :thumbup:

BTW, chaddyt, as another person who never marched corps, I got a chuckle out of the line in your sig.

Figure out those "Quote" and "Reply" buttons yet?

:P

Now and again I'll start typing a response, no text is going into the box, but 3 replies with the quote are created. I don't know why.

Tex for someone like you, a staunch supporter of Cadets and narration in former years, to say this tells me a great deal. Thank you for being so honest.

Believe it or not, I can and often am being objective.

Believe it or not, I can and often am being objective.

As long as we're not discussing climate change on Immotio! :thumbup:

Just kidding of course.

Hmmm. It would be interesting to know Hopkins' exact thoughts on pleasing the audience. I'm guessing he does care. One can look or listen to Cadets and tell that he is a great corps director. He may need to stop trying to fill double duty and director AND program coordinator.

it wasn't very aggressively stated, but he said quite clearly that he wasn't concerned with what the audience thought.

it's been a long time since i saw it, so i forget whether it was a video interview or something text based that you could look for with the search button, but i was very surprised when i saw it.

someone also apparently has quoted him as saying he's "never really liked drum corps." i don't remember seeing a source that one though, so take it how you like.

it wasn't very aggressively stated, but he said quite clearly that he wasn't concerned with what the audience thought.

it's been a long time since i saw it, so i forget whether it was a video interview or something text based that you could look for with the search button, but i was very surprised when i saw it.

someone also apparently has quoted him as saying he's "never really liked drum corps." i don't remember seeing a source that one though, so take it how you like.

I remember this quote. He did in fact say that he was "never a fan" of drum corps. Perhaps it was from DCP LiveWire?

I said it before and I'll say it again...

This I Believe....My Pursuit of Happiness includes less shows like this.

I never thought I would weigh in here on DCP on this topic (or any -- I'm a confirmed lurker). Love the Cadets since seeing my first show in 1982 and haven't been disappointed since. Think most of past debate over narration is hot air. Then I saw the show online Saturday (Sunday morning here in Hong Kong)...

I CRINGED at every sentence. My wife and I (who I introduced to DCI last year, and who LOVED the Cadets) just looked at each other in disbelief. We are both professional writers, and likened the experience to nails on a chalkboard.

The whole problem for me isn't narration--have at it. It's just the blinding divide between the quality of the music and marching versus the quality of the "story." If it's to succeed, it has to have the unrehearsed quality of live radio -- which, given the tight choreography and timing required of drum corps, will be tough to pull off.

Back to lurking...

Also, Vesuvius is about a volcano. So much for narration making the meaning of a piece of music clearer...try changing the music of the music into something completely irrelevant. :thumbup: