Narration hypocrites

So the wisher of death finally logs in. Are you hoping that I die of prostate cancer? You know I knew people who marched Garfield, so I am sure you need me to die a violent death, right? Anything brilliant left to say.

I am still wondering when DCP will ban this poster. If we can now wish cancer on marching members with no consequence, I guess all bets are off and this place has truly gone to pot, so to speak.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard either corps this year so I won't comment on that

However;

I didn't like Bluecoats narration last year. The first bit was ok, liked it less as the year went on (became more cheezey). Everything else they added through the season was nonsense and didn't add to the show. But since it was minimal It wasn't too hard to take.

Crown's ending last year was much better IMO early in the season before they added the talking. The grand pause built a lot more suspense and it was that much more climatic when the hornline came in.

As if you didn’t far exceed the quota of brilliance with your comments already, 84skyrydr. Congratulations, that’s hard to do in a place like this!

So everyone hates the Cadets because they have a story line being told. People have even WISHED for the person doing the narration, to succumb to breast cancer. REALLY. People are that completely STUPID. We all know that the Cadets will have narration and then when we hear it, we act surprised and insulted. REALLY. I am assuming then, that the crowd response would be positive towards the Cadets if they didn't have narration? SOOOOOOO, where is all this venom and hate for the SECOND biggest talking corps ( with pathetic mics that only work once in a while ) You know the BLUUUUUEECOATS. Maybe they aren't blooing and they are booing? I think I could understand the Rocky theme WITHOUT narration. I won't even wish that the narrator gets punchdrunk, but I will call the Bluecoats, the junior Cadets. Come on, hate one, hate all. I have never in my lifetime thought that the people in DCI would be such low life morons as to wish cancer on someone for narrating, or ANYTHING else. People crying and whining because ten, oops, twenty minutes of their experience has someone talking during it. Its called a bathroom break. Go buy some souvies, get some popcorn, ignore the show. THAT IS OK. Wishing death upon someone IS NOT. Please leave DCI, if you are that insane. Seek help. Anyone wants to know who and where, go to the Madison thread, around page 80-100. Until then, keep enjoying the Rocky talk.........

I have gone back and read all ten pages of this thread and probably close to 70 or 80 of 84skyrydr’s recent posts, so no one can say I didn’t do my research!

About the cancer comment, as it is something that I think has fairly easily been brushed off by the DCP community so far (only minus 84skyrydr and a select other few), I don’t think that it needs much more explaining than this: It was completely tongue in cheek. Who in their right mind would take that comment seriously? Maybe you should reevaluate who needs to “seek help,” 84skyrydr.

Yes, I have been affected by cancer on both sides of my family and yes it is recommended that I begin getting mammograms at the age of 25, rather than 40, because of this (since you were so curious). I have a great aunt surviving and a grandmother who died of cancer but I do not sit here and let paranoia and sensitivity affect my personal sense of humor in everyday discussion. I don’t walk on eggshells to please those who are paranoid and sensitive and who don’t understand my sense of humor. It’s just ridiculous to sit here and make assumptions like that and call someone a moron, or low, or an idiot, or…God forbid…a vermin. I won’t apologize for my statements and I have a feeling I won’t look back on them and regret as they were not written in a serious manner at all.

Stop taking life so seriously. We don’t laugh like it’s 1984 anymore.

On to what is supposed to be the point of this topic (but obviously turned into 84skyrder’s #####fest)…Here are a few words from a good man named Noah Webster:

hypocrite

2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

Here are a few words from a case (taken from another thread) that perfectly exemplifies this word:

They are just offensive to us polite, happy and carefree people who boo, ridicule and make fun of anything they do. Its not enough for us to simply NOT like a show. We must rant and rave and catcall, make up polls to prove our own agenda, and boo, because it doesn't sound like something from thirty years ago.

I don't have to boo, or belittle or anything else.

Polite happy and carefree? Don’t have to belittle anything?

Oh my. Iceman was right – seek help for delusion.

The Cadets’ narration: I’m not surprised it's there and I’m not surprised it's bad. I marched five years in this decade. I marched in a corps (that you can probably guess) who used narration several times in one show I marched. I marched in a corps that (in my opinion) used it to where it was, at best, okay. I like narration in drum corps sometimes; sometimes I don’t. I actually really liked the narration in the 05 and 06 Cadets shows.

I do not like the narration in The Cadets' show this year. If I went to a show and cheered my ### off for it, that would be hypocrisy.

Just because an opinion is subjective (meaning modified by experience, preference or observation) does not indicate hypocrisy. Have we really not learned that here yet? :tongue:

It’s really clear through other posts made by 84skyryder that he’s not a fan of amplification and he’s actually going so far as to ‘age out’ and boycott shows after this year. It does not surprise me that he has posted yet another amplification thread and has turned it into a way to vent his personal issues and attack a couple members of this public forum.

After reviewing the DCP Community Guidelines, I really expect this thread to be closed. It’s becoming pretty pathetic to read this constant rant targeted toward me while I refuse to revoke my statements. This will go nowhere.

On one final note, I am so very glad most of us write like educated people with proper grammar and spelling these days; apparently they didn’t do that in 1984 and skyrydr84 is fighting that movement as well.

My journalism professors would be proud.

Waits patiently and ups her ante on this thread being closed very quickly. :tongue:

Edited by Senisa

About the cancer comment, as it is something that I think has fairly easily been brushed off by the DCP community so far (only minus 84skyrydr and a select other few), I don’t think that it needs much more explaining than this: It was completely tongue in cheek.

Tongue in cheek and according to your post it has affected your family so deeply I won't try to understand. Lack of respect to others who have been affected by it, I can understand.

Edit: "Nicest" way I can say it is that you have that "I think joking about cancer is funny so everyone who disagrees must have a problem". :tongue:

Who in their right mind would take that comment seriously?

Deleted this part and some of above as I remembered the original post incorrectly....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Quote fro Senisa---> "About the cancer comment, as it is something that I think has fairly easily been brushed off by the DCP community so far (only minus 84skyrydr and a select other few), I don’t think that it needs much more explaining than this: It was completely tongue in cheek. Who in their right mind would take that comment seriously? Maybe you should reevaluate who needs to “seek help,” 84skyrydr.

Yes, I have been affected by cancer on both sides of my family and yes it is recommended that I begin getting mammograms at the age of 25, rather than 40, because of this (since you were so curious). I have a great aunt surviving and a grandmother who died of cancer but I do not sit here and let paranoia and sensitivity affect my personal sense of humor in everyday discussion. I don’t walk on eggshells to please those who are paranoid and sensitive and who don’t understand my sense of humor. It’s just ridiculous to sit here and make assumptions like that and call someone a moron, or low, or an idiot, or…God forbid…a vermin. I won’t apologize for my statements and I have a feeling I won’t look back on them and regret as they were not written in a serious manner at all.

Stop taking life so seriously. We don’t laugh like it’s 1984 anymore. "<----Quote from Senisa

No one here is "taking life so seriously" . I have been told I have a wonderful sense of humor. Having typed that, I also know that there are lines that are not to be crossed. Even if your comment was tongue in cheek, I feel it was tasteless and inappropriate. I for one would not post something like that on a public forum even in humrous way. It's not about having to "lighten up" or "don't take life so seriously". It's about being mature enough to know when crass is crass. :tongue:

Edited by Perry S

I am asked , " who in their right mind would take that seriously?". I ask , who in their right mind would make such an idiotic comment and think it is FUNNY? As far as aging out next year, it is because my son wants to march next year. Then it will no longer be about what I like, etc, it will be about what happens with my sons corps. Try again oh wise comedian....

fair7.jpg

Priceless ...

Narration is only good when used sparingly and when well written.

Otherwise, there's no need for it in drum corps, marching band, or anywhere else.

My thoughts about hypocrisy go a little differently.

There are those who tell fans who don't like narration that we should show appreciation for the kids on the field despite what we think of the show. Well, when that sentiment is reciprocated, when those people start showing up in droves for the first three OTL corps on the field and giving them something more than a golf clap, then I'll take them seriously.

Additionally, some of those same people say that it's the fault of the directors and the administrators of the non-finalist (or other smaller) corps that they are struggling. And they are right, for the most part. But when it comes to design flaws that lead to the hand-sitting for a perennial champion, those same people refuse to point to corps leadership who are using the kids to push agendas and instead blame the hand-sitters.

So, there's plenty of hypocrisy to go around. I haven't seen either of these shows yet, so I'm not going to comment on Bloo vs. Cadets in terms of narration for 2008. Last year I tolerated Bloo's narration because I felt it was relevant to the whole design, and there was a good hook in one moment. In contrast, the narration for Cadets was an element that felt completely unrelated to the rest of the show, and as such it was distracting at best from a marvelous musical and visual book. That should cause a pretty big GE hit, IMO. If I feel like I can't jump up and scream "YEAH!" because I'm supposed to sit still and listen to someone prattling on, then the show design is flawed.

...probably one of the most insightful posts I've ever seen on DCP.

Thank you Terri!

About the cancer comment, as it is something that I think has fairly easily been brushed off by the DCP community so far (only minus 84skyrydr and a select other few), I don’t think that it needs much more explaining than this: It was completely tongue in cheek. Who in their right mind would take that comment seriously?

While I understand your clarification (and thank you for taking the time to do that), I think what you have to remember is in written communication, sarcasm often doesn't come across the way it would in verbal conversation; we don't have the body language, context, etc., to help us interpret the intended meaning. And while I do agree with you that 84skyrydr seems to be in the habit of taking things way too literally (an observation I made about an earlier post), I think you have to be careful with certain kinds of humor, especially the sarcastic variety, because often it just doesn't come across the way you intended. And when it doesn't, you have to accept some of the responsibility for making the original statement that folks are responding to. You can't lay it all on them for literally interpreting the words you chose to post. As you may have already realized, folks late to reading the threads are going to keep coming across your original post and responding to it right then, even though you have since clarified what you meant. Always the danger of using that kind of humor in a public written forum.