Narration hypocrites

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Narration takes the drum corps experience into the stage/theatrical area. Then again, some of drum corps seems to make it to the stage. There is crossover in all kinds of ways in the performing arts world.

So, the problem is not so much about some narration (although, the cadets' show has far too much this year). But, this year the issue is about the topic - breast cancer. The story starts off with the ending revealed - the ideal way to bore the listener, IMO. Then, the woman describes episodes of her life - not very interesting, I must say. She went to college, she dated around, she married, she divorced, she worked on Madison Ave and she survived cancer. Not exactly the same ups and downs as the movie "Pursuit of Happyness", where the main characters must live in homeless shelters and in subway bathrooms. The cadets' show actually looks trite in comparison.

Take away "storytelling" through narration and leave the rest to the audience to ponder. A drum corps audience's expectations are not the same as an audience going to the movies or to the theater (where things being scripted is entirely expected). The cadets' show felt LONG due to this problem.

Is the "topic" truly breast cancer or is breast cancer just a vehicle used to highlight the theme of finding happiness or where true happiness lies?

I think people hear the phrase "breast cancer" and automatically assume the show is some sort of statement. It didnt seem nearly that contrite to me when I saw it on Sunday night. I couldn't disagree with you more about the Cadets show feeling "long," either. I thought it was compelling and ended abruptly.. and short on time, IMO.

The theme, to me, seemed to be more about a woman who spent her life trying to find happiness.. only to have something really major and bad (i.e., breast cancer) come along to show her that she had happiness all along.. it also seems to me that it pretty much parallels the lesson from the movie you reference above.. the level of extreme or the kind of adversity one faces shouldn't validate one anymore than another. Adversity is adversity and if you learn from it, then it's served its purpose. I could be wrong but that's just how I saw it.

I don't know what all the fuss is about anyway.. it's just a show with narration. See it once and make your decision about it. If you don't like it, don't watch it again.

Stef

SNIP (stuff about symbols, artistic interpretations, vague references to The Fresh Prince and other fancy junk)

I don't know what all the fuss is about anyway.. it's just a show with narration. See it once and make your decision about it. If you don't like it, don't watch it again.

Stef

Whoah.

Admins. Can we do something to keep this kind of pragmatism out of DCP?!

Edited by mingusmonk

Whoah.

Admins. Can we do something to keep this kind of pragmatism out of DCP?!

lol shut up! That's the first belly laugh I've had on DCP this year!

:)

Stef

IMO, w :thumbup: hen I go to a dci show, I expect to be entertained. I don't want to hear about cancer. At the Belding show I had a young couple sitting in front of me. While the narration droned on the young man became more and more upset. I can only guess that he had a mother, sister, grandmother or friend diagnosed with breast cancer.

Wow. What show are you people seeing? Did they just put on a completely different show on Sunday night than they have all season long? There were a few mentions of the woman's diagnosis.. of her family history of breast cancer at the VERY beginning.. I think once or twice more but there was certainly no "droning on" about breast cancer. She talked about the rest of her life much more and the emphasis seemed to be on how she discovered her own happiness as a RESULT of her diagnosis.. not about the disease itself. It was little more than MENTIONED..

Some of you people behave like all they did was repeat the words "breast cancer" like performance art, for 10 minutes straight.

That's not the show I saw two nights ago.

Stef

Stef, are you sure you were at a show two nights ago or did you just take a step through... THE ZONE!

BUM BUM BUUUUUM!

:thumbup:

Stef, are you sure you were at a show two nights ago or did you just take a step through... THE ZONE!

BUM BUM BUUUUUM!

:thumbup:

I don't think it's me who was in the Zone this time.. besides, I didn't care for that show :tongue:

I'm confused (which is common enough, if you ask my wife). Can you help me make some sense of this? What was the intent of your post? You are only calling out those people that both:

A) Hate all narration

yet

B) only desperage the Cadets narration (all the while giving other corps a free pass, or maybe even supporting their usage?)

Correct?

Correct. I am not even a Bluecoat disliker. I just hate the constant attacks against ONLY the Cadets. Other corps use narration, some badly, YOWZA, yet only one gets attacked CONSTANTLY. Its really old.