Narration hypocrites

I don't know, it just seems to me that DCI can be one of the sacred places where there isn't a lot of complaining. There is enough of it OUTSIDE to go around. It is, and should be all about the kids performing, and having a good time. DCI exists for 2 main reasons, 1. A lifetime experience for the kids. 2. For the fans to enjoy :thumbup:

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was also there at Belding and had a great time watching the show. I did have a mom die of breast cancer at the ripe age of 56. I wasn't the least bit uncomfortable with the show. The person mentions breast cancer in one line of the entire dialogue. The premise is of how this problem made her persuit of happiness that much easier. Things seem a little easier to take when you have faced the reaper and won, but to think that someone sat there getting more uncomfortable by the minute, sounds like he should have used preperation H.

Edited by 84skyrydr

IMO, w :thumbup: hen I go to a dci show, I expect to be entertained. I don't want to hear about cancer. At the Belding show I had a young couple sitting in front of me. While the narration droned on the young man became more and more upset. I can only guess that he had a mother, sister, grandmother or friend diagnosed with breast cancer.

Read my statement on before this. This is in response to yours.

84skyrydr, clearly you have some sort of agenda with this thread, and it's not just about the talking...

Regardless of the topic of the "radio show", many still wouldn't like it, me included.

Not just because of what the words are or what the story line is supposed to be, but because my preference is to hear drum corps (as in drums and bugles) not a lecture or a sermon.

I don't go to these shows to be preached to (this I believe...) or to hear about someone's lifestyle choices (marriage, divorce, dealing with illness, "happiness"). Nor do I go for a "theater" experience with a Pee Wee Herman style stage center field where people do rather poor acting.

This is my preference. I have a right to my opinions just as any one else does, and I'd rather see the Cadets performing than talking, especially when an entire show is built around a lecture or sermon that I don't care to hear.

Many people can take a bit of talking in small doses without complaining, but will revolt when the talking starts to take over the show. That doesn't make them hypocrites... that means you've gone past their tolerance levels.

Or, the Anti-Narration Front of Judea

Garry in Vegas

heh... out of all the people on this forum, why am I not surprised that you're the one that caught this? :thumbup:

84skyrydr, clearly you have some sort of agenda with this thread, and it's not just about the talking...

Regardless of the topic of the "radio show", many still wouldn't like it, me included.

Not just because of what the words are or what the story line is supposed to be, but because my preference is to hear drum corps (as in drums and bugles) not a lecture or a sermon.

I don't go to these shows to be preached to (this I believe...) or to hear about someone's lifestyle choices (marriage, divorce, dealing with illness, "happiness"). Nor do I go for a "theater" experience with a Pee Wee Herman style stage center field where people do rather poor acting.

This is my preference. I have a right to my opinions just as any one else does, and I'd rather see the Cadets performing than talking, especially when an entire show is built around a lecture or sermon that I don't care to hear.

Many people can take a bit of talking in small doses without complaining, but will revolt when the talking starts to take over the show. That doesn't make them hypocrites... that means you've gone past their tolerance levels.

Yes there is an agenda. It is to vent my frustrations at the sickening attacks on the Cadets under the guise of narration. I am merely pointing out that all other corps that utilize this ( and I am NOT in favor of narration ) in their shows seem to get a pass. Look at the threads for the last two days. I would surmise that almost, ALMOST all of them have some negative Cadet message. It is OLD. People that give Bluecoats a pass need to realise that this year they have more talking than last year. What will that lead to next year? It won't matter. All that will matter is, "What those stupid, sickening and pathetic Cadets are doing". See how old that gets. Look at some of the people on here that marched Cadets and you will see they don't attack, no do they get nasty trying to defend themselves. They are classy people who others Boo.

Yes there is an agenda. It is to vent my frustrations at the sickening attacks on the Cadets under the guise of narration. I am merely pointing out that all other corps that utilize this ( and I am NOT in favor of narration ) in their shows seem to get a pass. Look at the threads for the last two days. I would surmise that almost, ALMOST all of them have some negative Cadet message. It is OLD. People that give Bluecoats a pass need to realise that this year they have more talking than last year. What will that lead to next year? It won't matter. All that will matter is, "What those stupid, sickening and pathetic Cadets are doing". See how old that gets. Look at some of the people on here that marched Cadets and you will see they don't attack, no do they get nasty trying to defend themselves. They are classy people who others Boo.

Again -- not disagreeing with your main point here -- and it's true that the Cadets are getting the brunt of the criticism this year and last because they were the main example of narration in volume and scope. But to say that all other corps have gotten a pass is simply not true. Crown was brutalized on these boards during the Bohemia year because of the singing, which was a new use of mics. Boston also was hammered because it was the biggest example of "narration" at that time. Now it's the Cadets turn with three straight years of "new" uses (first the solo singer as an instrumental voice, then the extensive narration the last two years.)

It's true that the Cadets get it more in part because of folks' feelings towards Mr. Hopkins. That's definitely part of it. Also, though, the Cadets have gotten it more the last couple of years becuase while Crown, BD and Boston (and others) have had years of serious criticism, their use of the technology has varied year to year so things settle down. Cadets have increased use of mics for four straight years, so the complaining has compounded geometrically towards them. But to say the no one has gotten their fair share is simply not true. Not saying any of this is right or wrong, just pointing out that there are reasons other than (in addition to) hypocricy that the Cadets are the target de jour.

Again, it's the QUANTITY of narration that gets people upset, as well as the CONTENT of the narration. It's not just a "gentlemen start your engines" type of thing, it's an entire story line.

Cadets are pushing the envelope with their preachy shows... many people don't appreciate having other people's religious views rammed down their throats, and that's what really gets their backs up. I don't care what you believe in (or not)... I do care when someone wants to force their point of view on me, and that's what many feel the Cadets shows are doing. Most don't have the cajones to fess up to this, but it's not just the narration or the number of words spoken, it's that they don't want to hear that type of message in this environment. Drum corps is supposed to be loud, fun, and entertaining... not some downer about deadly illnesses, unhappy marriages and religious beliefs. Save that stuff for the Crystal Cathedral.

When I tune out the narration in the Cadets shows, I see that they have a very talented group of young people that I'd like to hear more of, without the talking. It's very frustrating to have to attempt to enjoy the show around the narration... it's a distraction as well as an unwelcome message in this arena.

I'm sure Hoppy knows exactly what he's doing here... he's getting people to talk about his shows, whether they like them or not, which he likely feels is better than no talk at all.

I gotta be honest, it really dosen't bug me most of the time (narration) I liked Crowns little bit the had last year and Bluecoats. Cadets was a bit much, but I sat through it to see the corps. I even like the singing drumline thing they did back in 05 (exept for the girls voice at the beginning of it) Cadets show this year is good, but I have to admit if I was a member I be a bit ######. To bust your butt through the whole season, and be able to play the way they do only to be regularly ingnored by the the fans because there are 2 people talking in the middle of the field. If you like it or not, your attention will always be drawn to the "interview". To tell a story and augment your show is one thing, but I think they need more a balance this year. Last year they were able to let the corps shine through the narration, in fact most of it called attention to the corps as a whole, this year it seems the corps is a soundtrack to a theater production. Just not my thing. For those of you that "hate narration and amps" drum corps is now pretty much dead to you. G bugles aren't going to make a come back, and amps are hear to stay. So you can get over it, or you can stay home. A corps is not going to change its design because you don't like it. They didn't in the 60's and they won't now. So feel free to gripe about it, but I hope you don't really expect anything to change. I just hope that we can find a balance and let the other performers be recognized as well.