2008: Worst Drum Corps Year Ever?

So, for you DCI only begins at the year 2000? Do you truly think that nothing before that magical date matters? That, say, 27th Lancers' "Danny Boy" isn't worthy of your respect? That someone who does get a rise out of 2-7 doesn't have something important to say?

Since you probably never saw "Danny Boy" live, I suppose that isn't your fault. Speaking as someone who did see 27th's "Danny Boy" (when 2-7 was not at its peak) and as a major PR Phan who did see PR's "Faust" show - and the majestic climax which you mention, I prefer the former, from a goosebump POV.

Like you, I could go on picking out moments - prior to 2000 in my case. Between you and me, guess who'll run out of moments first. What does it matter?

Some people like to prove their open-mindedness by claiming to enjoy any and all things DCI, implicitly belittling anyone who feels compelled to like some things and not others. Then, there are others who claim that what is newest is best, and woe to those who can't be open to that experience. All I can say is, "What goes around, comes around."

How can someone be at fault for not being alive as long as you've been alive?

Why do older fans always assume that younger fans of no sense AT ALL of what drum corps was in the past? We can't have experienced it in the same way that you did, it's true, but we have the same access to the footage of past shows that you all do. I'd say that's worth more than nothing.

I'll never experience "Danny Boy" the way some of you guys did, and if it left a strong impression on the way you thought about drum corps shows, I'll never experience current shows the way you do -- with "Danny Boy" and so many other remarkable performances always in mind.

But similarly, you'll never experience "Frameworks" the way someone my age did (or, in my case, "As Time Goes By") -- with it being your introduction to the world of drum corps, rather than simply another performance in a tradition of many years of shows -- and so you'll never experience current shows the way that I experience them, with these contemporary shows being the standard to which everything else is held.

Why not value these differences? Why try to privilege one person's rich experiences in drum corps over someone else's?

Edited by saxfreq1128

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is that he never saw the drum corps monents that I sited. He is a youngster who thinks DCI started in 2000.

Like the punk athletes of today who don't know who Lou Gherig was...or don't have a clue who is in the hall of fame. Shame on anyone who doesn't have respect for the history of the drum and bugle corps activity that laid the foundation for years to come. Shame on them...

Since I pretty much only quoted moments from 2006 and 2007, and since you're quick to put words in my mouth, why didn't you say I think DCI started in 2006 :thumbup:

Go back and read my original reply. Please point to any line that you think could possibly be taken as disrespect toward the history of DCI. There are only a handful of shows from prior to 1993 that I enjoy, true, but lack of enjoyment does not equate to disrespect. If it did, how should we regard your attitude toward the current crop of DCI shows?

The point is that he never saw the drum corps monents that I sited. He is a youngster who thinks DCI started in 2000.

Like the punk athletes of today who don't know who Lou Gherig was...or don't have a clue who is in the hall of fame. Shame on anyone who doesn't have respect for the history of the drum and bugle corps activity that laid the foundation for years to come. Shame on them...

Goodness, that's not what Matt said at all. In response to another poster who said there isn't any cool stuff in today's shows, Matt responded by saying there are plenty of cool moments in the shows today. Matt doesn't deserve your righteous indignation or your indirect name calling, that's for sure, no matter how old he is.

Just remember, respect is a two-way street. We get several threads every month devoted to saying how awful shows today are. If an equal number of threads were devoted to categorically slamming shows of the past, the very same people would have fits of apoplexy.

Nobody is saying that legacy fans have to devote every post to lauding the amazingess of drum corps today. But to come in with a post like yours when all somebody is doing is saying that shows today have some merit is just not cool.

So you're saying that a show like Triple Crown was not good? That show had people's arses exploding from their seats to applaud that show. I'm sorry but I strongly and respectfully disagree.

Actually, the exploding butts were due primarily to the chili being sold. :thumbup:

How can he have the remotest clue what it was like to experience 27th exiting to Danny Boy??? Heck, I saw them exit to that tune years before they did the wheel...back when there WAS an exit. :thumbup::tongue:

I saw no disrespect...just an appreciation for what he has seen.

Ever see Blessed Sac exit to "Free Again"? One of my faves. Or St Lucy's "El Conquistador" off the line?

In no should he feel shame on not knowing what happened in 1965...I was not all that up on the drum corps 0f 1925 in 1965.

BTW...54 here.

I loved 2004. After the 2005 season i swore I was though going to shows. All that money I wasted flying all the way from Ca. to Providence RI. To see that crap, I almost didn't attend finals I was that dissapointed. I agree with ctrain08. Aaron '81 sop

Who cares?

Since when were organizations expected to fulfill the task of not only pleasing all of their current followers, but also of trying to please everyone who had at some point been a fan ever, and -- on top of that, because this is DCP after all -- trying to please all of their detractors?

I mean really.

You asked "who's butts?" I answered. In general, the number of tickets sold, the number of shows and the number corps have all have decreased. Now you say, "who cares?"

I do.

Actually, the exploding butts were due primarily to the chili being sold. :hmmm:

Tee hee, exploding butts. Any who, in the short time I've been a drum corps fan, I honestly beleive DCI has been on an up swing since 05. I went to my first two shows in 04 and loved them. Then I went to two more in 05 and felt dare I say, bored. There are really only three shows from that year that I like. The Atlanta show in 06 was like a breath of fresh air. I enjoyed the entire field with the exception of a couple of shows. 07 was even better than 06, and so far, I think 08 is my favorite year of drum corps since becoming a fan.

Goodness, that's not what Matt said at all. In response to another poster who said there isn't any cool stuff in today's shows, Matt responded by saying there are plenty of cool moments in the shows today. Matt doesn't deserve your righteous indignation or your indirect name calling, that's for sure, no matter how old he is.

Just remember, respect is a two-way street. We get several threads every month devoted to saying how awful shows today are. If an equal number of threads were devoted to categorically slamming shows of the past, the very same people would have fits of apoplexy.

Nobody is saying that legacy fans have to devote every post to lauding the amazingess of drum corps today. But to come in with a post like yours when all somebody is doing is saying that shows today have some merit is just not cool.

So your saying that every Month DCP gets alot more threads slamming todays shows compared to the number of threads slamming the shows of the past? Why do you think that is? Why do you think the number of drum corps, participants, & attendees has decreased dramatically in the last 15 years? It is what it is...and a lot of people don't like what it is...and DCI better change what it is or it wont be.

As for cool moments in todays shows, the number of thunderous standing ovations in an entire evening of drum corp today doesn't equal the number of standing 0's in a single drum corp show from the '70's...todays drum corps shows are sit on your hands afairs, like going to the opera...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I don't know why people bother comparing Corps of yesteryear to Corps of today. It was a different time, and different place. Things have changed... sooooooooooo much that to even compare Corps of the 70's to early 80's is just rediculous.