2008: Worst Drum Corps Year Ever?

"Stars and Stripes Forever"........darn, I was expecting the usual "Malaguena" reply. Heh....

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I consider some of the shows from 1984 (my first year) to 2000 as some of the best shows ever. Sorry, but when I think about shows like 1991 Star and 1993 Star (even 1990 Star) they beat almost anything out there today. Same can be said with shows like Madison ('88 and '95), Phantom ('96, '97), SCV ('85-/'87, '89, '97-'00), BD (a handful of years), Cadets (a handful of years). Sorry, I like the straight-forward drum corps - marching and music for the sake of marching and music. Much of this theme crap today is overdone and is just laughable IMO. I'm very leary about bringing newcomers to drum corps shows, because I am embarassed for the activity often with some of this ridiculous stuff some of these corps are doing. I honestly imagine it won't be long before I care less about drum corps, because it is just headed in such a ridiculous direction...Cadets '06-'08.

I had to laugh a little when I read this. I have a keychain that I still use today. It says "Garfield...It looks like art because it is." I bought this in 1985 when I was having so many arguments with people who insisted that the Garfield Cadets were "not drum corps." I love the fact that all of the shows you listed were directly influenced by this "Not drum corps" was doing. (OK...not so much the 85-87 SCV)

I had to laugh a little when I read this. I have a keychain that I still use today. It says "Garfield...It looks like art because it is." I bought this in 1985 when I was having so many arguments with people who insisted that the Garfield Cadets were "not drum corps." I love the fact that all of the shows you listed were directly influenced by this "Not drum corps" was doing. (OK...not so much the 85-87 SCV)

Bingo! Sometimes one corps opens a door - by trying something different - be it singing, talking dancing, whatever - they get their brains beat in by the fans, judges, et al. and for the next 10 years we find ourselves big fans of corps that are directly influenced by the original infidels. Yours was an inciteful post that made me think, for which I give thanks.

Bingo! Sometimes one corps opens a door - by trying something different - be it singing, talking dancing, whatever - they get their brains beat in by the fans, judges, et al. and for the next 10 years we find ourselves big fans of corps that are directly influenced by the original infidels. Yours was an inciteful post that made me think, for which I give thanks.

I'm so embarrassed... I went hiking with my 17 year old daughter on the Great Blue Hill here outside Boston right after I wrote the last post, and half way up while I was slipping on rocks and huffing and puffing, I realized that I used "Incite" instead of "insight". I feel like such a doofus. Hopefully no one reads my posts anyhow, knowing what an obvious dinosaur I am. If Tony White finds this error, he'll skewer me on the Sunrisers' forum (and rightly so, I might add.)

PLEASE!!! NO ONE READ MY LAST POST!!!!