Parents Speak Up

It just kills me how anyone associated with Cadets is blind to the fact that the people responsible for this are the one's who continue to create a product that they know will be hated by the majority of drum corps fans. Anyone with all five senses functioning who trys out for Cadets has some indication of the direction that corps is going and how they are perceived by the drum corps community.

Are you serious?

How convenient. I am not digging The Cadets at this point either, but they, or George, or whoever else people want to blame can't make you act any certain way. We are all responsible for how we act and how we respond to different situations. It really bugs me that some people here want to use George as an excuse for acting like an arse.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no shame in passive reaction to a product you don't like. It's slamming and booing the hardworking kids that is despicable.

:tongue:

#### and I was told being a teenager with a bunch of grown men in a Senior corps might be too much. :tongue:

PS - Still waiting for someone to explain how a person on the field knows that GH or the design is what is being booed and not the performers.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

And as I said in an earlier post, some kids their age are in a literal war zone right now, getting shot at, where death is the goal of those who dislike their mission.

Let's not stretch this into comparing what our people in the armed forces are going through. Not even close. And I have a son in the armed forces.

My whole point is not to deny you the right to hate the show/ concept/ narration. It boils down to minding your manners when you are at a show. Pure and simple. One would think there were better things to get obsessed about .

There are shows I don't care for and some that I feel strongly about but I don't go screaming it out from the stands.

Yes my son chose Cadets. He loves The Cadets the music, the instructers the whole experience. I support his choice and do not blanch at the thought of my lil baby being made fun of.

There is a sizeable faction of drum corps fans who believe the director of your son's corps is hell-bent on ruining the activity. As a result, they take it out on his corps from the stands. Sending an e-mail to Mr. Hopkins instead would be the mature thing to do but............well; those people you are describing are not that.

If this is the worst thing that ever "happens" to your son, he's gonna have a pretty good life. He could be in Fallujah where threats to his life are real instead of imaginary.

Hi,

I feel your pain. At quarterfinals last year, there were fans who "stepped over the line" and there was far more than "boos" being yelled. In fact, I won't get into it, but there were some things yelled AT THE CORPS prior/during their QF performance that should have had those individuals removed from the stadium, and I told DCI about it. It is a good thing they were not sitting close enough to me, or I would have had them removed. I was also told by some members that there were people who yelled things at them when they were marching in the parking lot later that evening. I think those who feel this fan conduct is somehow "allowable" are wrong. I went to a baseball game last year, and two fans in front of me started yelling inappropriate stuff. They were approached by an usher. They did it again. The usher came up and told them that if it happened again, they are gone. They stopped. I think the same thing should happen here. It also should happen to the jerks who feel that it is appropriate for them to yell something in a quiet section of music so that "they can make the recording". For me, grounds for immediate ejection....perhaps that would stop it. At all of our stadiums in my local city, steps have been taken and poor fan etiquette/conduct is no longer tolerated.

Your son is in a great corps. Without going into to detail, I would not worry about his safety. Yes, we have some audience members who don't like the show and hate narration. I'm not a narration fan either, but I also realize there is a great corps performing their tail off, too. I'm also not a fan of another corps that I will leave nameless whose hornline doesn't play half the show, has half the dynamics of others, and relies almost totally on visual to get a score. However, do I BOO that corps? NO. Do I yell things at that corps? NO. Those kids are also great kids who have worked 10-14 hour days, and even if I do not like the product, I have respect for them. And if someone is seriously "repulsed' by a corps, they certainly have the right to get up and take their hot dog break right before they go on. However, no corps should ever have to tolerate verbal abuse (I am talking way more than booing here) at any time, and stadium personnel should be told to remove fans for unruly yelling and behavior during a performance. Unfortunately, there are many who feel that if they pay the ticket money, they have that right.........I couldn't disagree more.

GB

Posts like this just break my heart.

Hey, Armchair Idiots: Next time you RUIN a show by slamming a corps in the stands (shouldn't we ALL be quiet for ALL the performances anyway?) why don't you think about the possibility that the corps you are slamming has family nearby hearing all of your venom and vitriol. I can't think of anything more tactless and classless.

Wait'll you have your child miss a late free throw shot in a basketball game, or strike out with the bases loaded, or fumble a football, etc...... and see how not only the visiting team fans respond...... but your OWN fans respond to your son or daughter coming up short.

And as far as crowd " slamming a Corps" and interferring with your ability to listen to a Corps, this is mostly rare it seems to me.

Much more frequent are the people chattering loudly, on a cell phone talking loudly, or giggling, or with infants in tow crying,, coming up the aisle late to the show, or with 3 trays of food, etc than spectators " slamming a Corps " to the point that others can not hear the performance.

There is a sizeable faction of drum corps fans who believe the director of your son's corps is hell-bent on ruining the activity. As a result, they take it out on his corps from the stands. Sending an e-mail to Mr. Hopkins instead would be the mature thing to do but............well; those people you are describing are not that.

It would help though if Mr. Hopkins actually answered those emails. I got no reply from a carefully and respectfully worded letter of concern. Maybe he gets too many and only answers selected correspondants, but if he has that much "please reconsider" email, that should be a clue to him as well...

I'm not condoning booing, but maybe helping to explain part of it's root cause.

Much more frequent are the people chattering loudly, on a cell phone talking loudly, or giggling, or with infants in tow crying,, coming up the aisle late to the show, or with 3 trays of food, etc than spectators " slamming a Corps " to the point that others can not hear the performance.

Oh honey, if you can't hear the corps over a rude cell phone call, giggling bandos and crying infants or enjoy them while someone is spilling hot nacheezo sauce in your lap while they stumble over you -- THEY'RE NOT LOUD ENOUGH! :tongue:

The Glassmen used humor to point out the fact that some found their shows boring.

Any member of the Cadets knew going into the season that narration was not all that popular, especially on DCP. They should expect that there will be vocal opponents to their show.

At $50.00 a seat, I think we can expect that some people will make their opinions known. The narration is bad enough as it detracts from the musical portion of the show, but the CONTENT of the narration is appalling to many and not particularily well-done. Many high school actors have better voice skills than what I have heard from the APR guy and Sarah. The only way for Hoppy to hear the masses is for the masses to express their displeasure.

Your kid is in a good corps. Be proud and forget about what others think. No one will physically harm the members.