Parents Speak Up

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never condoned booing; but I think this resentment is pointed towards the director, not the performers. From what I can see, fans have nothing but love and respect for the marchers, and deservingly so. They bust their butts for months just to put on a show for us. They aren't in the wrong. The anger, though, is pointed towards the director.

This is the bigger question, who is the booing pointed towards? As a fan we have very few options to express our emotions. We can either applaud, remain silent, or boo.

But IMHO I feel that we are showing our displeasure to the organization and the staff. If we don't like the Cadets, we show our displeasure. It's an human emotion. We are not booing the kids, we are booing the finished product.

I see the cadets as a singular item. They are more than 150 kids, they are ONE organization of hundreds. We approve or disapprove through our vocal responses at the shows and it is geared towards that ONE organization, not any one student or group of students.

As stated earlier, the students make an educated choice to be in the Cadets. They know what to expect.

Also as stated earlier, comments emailed to George Hopkins are not helpful. I did this last year and he ended up putting my post (a negative one, I'll admit) on his blog for ridicule by the George-loving masses.

Parents speak out.

The Cadets were met with a polite and appreciative audience in Racine Friday night, a town known for being "conservative" when it comes to this activity. We brought "newbies" from my wife's office, and while they liked the extreme quality of Cadets, they did not care for the vocal stuff, wanting to "just hear the music." We heard the Cadets (on before us) but didn't get to see the show.

We were on early (Kilties) in Madison on Saturday, and I was extremely tired so skipped the corps after Madison Scouts (stepson is in). So I have not seen Cadets perform yet.

If I go to the movie theater and there is a movie I am not interested in, I do not go sit in the theater. If I go to a concert and there is a song I do not prefer, I go to the concessions or the bathroom during that time. If there is a TV show on I do not like, I change the channel. The Cadets have, unfortunately, become the same thing for me.

I do not voice my displeasure at The Cadets programming choices by booing. I simply do not watch it. I choose to make them my "hotdog corps". I also by-pass their souvenir sales stand and I added their Maroon-and-Gold club to my blocked senders list. If I pass Hopkins at a show, he is a "non-person". These are my rights as an American.

I don’t care if a show is bad, good or terrible. I stand and clap and cheer for EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

I do too. I understand how hard these kids work, and every single one of them deserves a big standing ovation.

And I must say, I didn't like the Cadets' show at all this past weekend and neither did any of the 12 people I went with, but I told my friends with me in advance why we should all give them a standing ovation. And we did, regardless of what we thought of the show.

Great T-shirt - "Glassmen - boring our way into your heart"

Back then I found their shows boring as well, but I thought this was a great piece of marketing and an indicator that they didn't take themselves too seriously. My respect for Glassmen went well up when I saw that shirt on their souvie stand.

My favorite was the sequel, BORINBb tshirt.

But IMHO I feel that we are showing our displeasure to the organization and the staff. If we don't like the Cadets, we show our displeasure. It's an human emotion. We are not booing the kids, we are booing the finished product.

Not to come off as offensive, but this is where you lose me. Those people who boo are kind of (and by kind of I mean pretty much...) booing the kids out on the field. It's as if I'm at a high school football game and really hate the school's administrative staff for some of the things that take place at the school, but I just go ahead and boo the team when they're on the field. The kids on the team know it's the administration I'm booing, right?

As others have stated, there are far more productive ways to show your displeasure over a corps choices than booing. Heckling and that kind of behavior is rarely acceptable in ANY circumstance or environment, IMO.

Sitting in the stands listening to the catcalls (shut up and play ) and the boos and the snickering RUINED the experience for my family. It happened in Allentown too.

I want you to think about the parents and how THEY feel when you are treating THEIR children with such hate and disrespect ? How do you think other young people who are hoping to participate in drum corps in the future will feel that they could receive such treatment from an audience ?. How do you think this kind of behavior will encourage better turnouts at DCI shows ???

This is part of my original post. As usual some people have to hijack the thread and make it into something else.

So I ask again how would you feel ? We parents spend $100's of $$ too to see these shows. I think we have a right to watch without listening to the trash talk ??? You just cheapen drum corps with that behavior.

This is part of my original post. As usual some people have to hijack the thread and make it into something else.

So I ask again how would you feel ? We parents spend $100's of $$ too to see these shows. I think we have a right to watch without listening to the trash talk ??? You just cheapen drum corps with that behavior.

Well, let's not confuse "rights" with manners. I generally find, though, that folks who boo or catcall or whatever usually tell me more about themselves than about the object of their scorn. I do believe that DCI should crack down on unruly or disruptive fan behavior -- and not just the booing, but the yelling for the cd's, the talking during shows, etc. If you are loud (not even abusive) during a tennis match, you are removed -- those are the rules attached with the ticket. DCI is a private organization and can set whatever rules/conditions to the ticket sale they want. Heck, they can require that we all where white t-shirts as a condition of entry if they so choose. They can certainly set conditions for fan behavior and then stick to them. But until they set those conditions (ahead of time and with proper enforcement) our "rights" to an unobstructed viewing and listening experience is (unfortunately) limited and all we can do is witness other folks exercise their "right" to act like a wanker.

(I usually find a way to embarrass folks like into into silence, but that's just me .... :tongue: )