Bluecoats Show

The ballad moment in itself puts 08 ahead of 07 in my opinion. I think there are several aspects of this years show that are of higher quality than last year. I'm more excited than worried, Blue does better as the underdog, 05 corps was up to 4 points behind The Scouts at one point at a head to head contest, didn't beat them until finals night. I'm excited to see the Bluecoats the last couple of weeks of tour (especially finals week).

BTW,

Nobody talks about that ballad moment, I thought it stood out substantially as the best moment of the night on the Madison Webcast, it was simply jaw dropping. (yes, I'm a big homer)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm a homer, but hopefully you all can say I'm an honest one.

You definitely have to remember that the scores are in a different place right now because we still don't have a full panel yet and not everybody has seen each other. We'll know a little more of what to expect when Phantom sees Vanguard tonight with that spread (or lack thereof) and even more when everybody meets up in San Antonio. With the panel how it has been, who is really to know for sure what will happen when when July 5 (full panel) and August 9 roll around?

Talking to the few vets that remain from the two years I marched, the corps is very young this year and there have been some major staff changes in the visual department (caption head, colorguard), so those with experience are adjusting to a possible (not sure) technique change right alongside the rookies. The same happened in 05 and look at the caption scores from finals. The loss of Steph Furniss was a great one and I think, without her brute, they may suffer for just a little while in the feet department. I know that, without that woman, my ### would have taken a little longer to get kicked into gear. Steph had an affect on making things happen quickly and she's, in my opinion, a great loss for that organization, though there are a few staff members still remaining who worked under Steph and hopefully will continue some of her philosophies. This all said, it's absolutely not to say that they've got some great talent in that corps and on that staff.

Coming from another corps with our own staff changes and lack of experience in 2004, I feel for them and have zero doubt that they'll be where they want to be, and where we want them to be as alumni and fans come August. The Bluecoats organization is second to none in doing things the right way for the growth and education of the members on the field, so I hope people aren't concerned with the progress. No doubt they will come out of this year as one of the best Bluecoats corps ever. That's the goal every year and of the current age Bluecoats, I don't think there has been a season where that didn't happen.

Their book is harder than hell. It's dirty. But I can already say it's one of the most entertaining products on the field right now. When you've got that paired with talent and drive in those on and off the field, the only way to go is up and it's going to be so fun for all fans watching it happen.

All of this being said, I have a lot of faith in the members taking my place and the old friends that are directing them and I'm excited to see where things lead.

Remember your six words, Blue.

Edited by corps_forever07

I do like the staff changes they made, and I do think they're on the right track. They just have more work to do then others right now. I think they had a slow start with marching technique. I saw them in Toledo this year and last. They seemed more defined and aggressive with the technique in early 2007 then this year.

I'm not concerned. Bloo should be helped once hornlines are judged - they dominated that subcaption all last year - but this doesn't look like a corps that's going to take down multiple members of the Big Three again. That's okay. They'll almost certainly still finish top eight, and that's a pretty mean feat in today's DCI. I'd like to see them finish as high as they can, of course, but I'm mostly looking forward to seeing this entertaining show on finals night in Bloomington.

OK--I'll play along...

As my handle notes, I've got a dog in this fight, so I'm interested in the opinions floating around.

The first thing I've noticed is that the drill is MUCH more difficult than it was last year, and I'd wager it was designed that way for a reason: to garner the GE points that cost the 'Coats placement towards the end of last year. In that regard, the show's already been a success--if you check the overall GE scores from their shows, they're scoring high, and certainly higher than last year. The way I read it, the judges are 'getting' the effort, the crowds are 'getting' the theme, and progress, though slow and steady, is coming along.

All that being said, the other side of that coin is the degree of difficulty in the drill--it'll take some time to clean, conditioning when you're running AND playing with the technical proficiency demanded of the corps is still an issue, and there is a LOT of youth in group, so veteran leadership becomes that much more important. As I've reminded my son: it's a marathon, not a sprint, and any improvement is good improvement.

I've been gratified to see the adjustments that have been made in instruction and training; they'll help as the season goes along. I'm not worried about scores, especially in this part of the year with smaller judging panels in the early part of the season. I'm guessing that when complete panels are available, it'll coincide with some solid improvements in marching, so the whole line will be balanced out. My wildcard for you all to watch--pay attention to the guard. If they continue to grow and evolve as much as the corps as a whole, it will be an amazing show to see. Last year, if you'll all recall, the 'Coats suffered from staffing issues with the guard, and they obviously peaked early. I don't see that happening this year.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

The ballad moment in itself puts 08 ahead of 07 in my opinion. I think there are several aspects of this years show that are of higher quality than last year. I'm more excited than worried, Blue does better as the underdog, 05 corps was up to 4 points behind The Scouts at one point at a head to head contest, didn't beat them until finals night. I'm excited to see the Bluecoats the last couple of weeks of tour (especially finals week).

BTW,

Nobody talks about that ballad moment, I thought it stood out substantially as the best moment of the night on the Madison Webcast, it was simply jaw dropping. (yes, I'm a big homer)

Once more people hear and see the show, I'm sure they will talk about it. Chills ran up and down my spine after hearing that.

Once more people hear and see the show, I'm sure they will talk about it. Chills ran up and down my spine after hearing that.

I do love the ballad. But I will have to say that percussion is their strength right now. From what I saw in rehearsal camp, and what I am seeing now, the brass feet are holding the battery feet and hands, back from shooting up to the top. I don't think it is lack fo talent from the kids. I think some serious, but quick design changes need to be made. #1, make some allowance, somehow, so that the entire ballad, horns and singing can be heard, #2 have the ring announcer deepen his voice and quit screeching. (maybe the best thing about BC's narration is you can't hear it!)

I do love the ballad. But I will have to say that percussion is their strength right now. From what I saw in rehearsal camp, and what I am seeing now, the brass feet are holding the battery feet and hands, back from shooting up to the top. I don't think it is lack fo talent from the kids. I think some serious, but quick design changes need to be made. #1, make some allowance, somehow, so that the entire ballad, horns and singing can be heard, #2 have the ring announcer deepen his voice and quit screeching. (maybe the best thing about BC's narration is you can't hear it!)

from what I understand, they made changes to the ballad. All the horns could be heard...(my GOSH, could they be heard), and I heard the singing just fine at Fairfield. The ring announcer sounded fine...bit of a bronx accent...wasn't real screechy.

I am not concerned about the Bluecoats not finishing above 7th this year. I am a bit concerned about how the narration is going to sound...

If I am really concerned about any corps this year, it's the Madison Scouts. This corps I feel could start to go the way of the doe doe I fear if improvements aren't made (but we've covered this already in another thread).