Santa Clara's Show

I loved many parts of this show and agree with those who say the end needs more kick. But the thing that bugs me about this show is how the corps and guard march an entirely different drill for 99% of the show. With very few, momentary exceptions, the guard is wrapped around the corps, spread out evenly through the form the corps is making, or is used as frills added to the corners or ends of the form the corps is making. The guard placement just feels very old-fashioned. I absolutely love many of the shifting forms the corps is doing, I'd just like to see more variety in the way the guard is incorporated.

I agree, but I do think this is some of the best guard integration SCV has ever had. At the end of the opener when they do the sideways wedge from '99 and have a rifle line in the middle throw a toss it took my breath away. I was like "THANK YOU". So yeah I agree it's not as good as it could be, but it's a definite step in the right direction. Also I think part of the problem might be that it would be a nightmare to throw colorguard members (and equipment) inside some of those moving forms. Hell, I bet it's a nightmare with contras, lol. Pete Weber doesn't #### around..

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the closer was a huge letdown musically. The John Adams and Philip Glass (edit: and Talvin Singh - didn't know his name) pieces are AWESOME - definitely my favorite music on the field this summer. And then you get this rather generic Whitacre chart to finish it off? Seems like a strange choice to round out the show. Definitely looks like some rework is needed there to make it a compelling finish to the show.

Edited by ShortAndFast

I agree, but I do think this is some of the best guard integration SCV has ever had. At the end of the opener when they do the sideways wedge from '99 and have a rifle line in the middle throw a toss it took my breath away. I was like "THANK YOU". So yeah I agree it's not as good as it could be, but it's a definite step in the right direction. Also I think part of the problem might be that it would be a nightmare to throw colorguard members (and equipment) inside some of those moving forms. Hell, I bet it's a nightmare with contras, lol. Pete Weber doesn't #### around..

But where other top corps have amazing guard/drill integration, this area might still cost SCV come finals.

I agree that the closer is definitely the weak link in the show, but (as said somewhere above) they haven't had a day off in a while and just started performing the closer on Thursday, right? Give them a few days...this is one of the cleanest visual programs around this season for early July, and with a little work this closer will be the big part of the show. Like I said, Pete Webber outdid himself this year....all of the absolutely amazing follow the leader stuff has broken the boundaries.

As I've said before, Pete Webber's the guy that's going to knock Mike Gaines out of the lime light.

I agree that the closer is definitely the weak link in the show, but (as said somewhere above) they haven't had a day off in a while and just started performing the closer on Thursday, right? Give them a few days...this is one of the cleanest visual programs around this season for early July, and with a little work this closer will be the big part of the show. Like I said, Pete Webber outdid himself this year....all of the absolutely amazing follow the leader stuff has broken the boundaries.

As I've said before, Pete Webber's the guy that's going to knock Mike Gaines out of the lime light.

My only complaint with him is some of his visual phrases are too long. The FTL stuff is cool, but some of it needs to be chopped up, or at least have not EVERYONE in the corps doing it to make the design pop a little more. Like, the first big hit of the show... is in the middle of a visual move. That just doesn't fit for me, if the music "pops" then the drill needs to "pop". Should be a direction change there or something, I dunno.

But these are minor complaints. On the whole I agree that Pete is a fantastic drill writer. Still #2 to Gaines in my book though.

Just a couple of points re: Vanguard's closer this year.

Vanguard has traditionally been known for subtlety.

Its new and you can tell. There are some rough moments. Give it time.

They form a rectangular block on the far left corner for a defined period of time. After having wowed the crowd with some pretty impressive drill, its not the way to say "we have some pretty impressive drill so just watch what we have left." In addition, the expanded "fish" form prior to the block is so Cavies '99.

I really don't like the white flags in the show near the end. They say "practice flags" over and over.

And finally, for Pete's sake, you are in one of the warmest areas of the U.S., finish your drill before you hit the field so that we don't have to go through this every year. It's starting to get very old.......

Just a couple of points re: Vanguard's closer this year.

Vanguard has traditionally been known for subtlety.

Its new and you can tell. There are some rough moments. Give it time.

They form a rectangular block on the far left corner for a defined period of time. After having wowed the crowd with some pretty impressive drill, its not the way to say "we have some pretty impressive drill so just watch what we have left." In addition, the expanded "fish" form prior to the block is so Cavies '99.

I really don't like the white flags in the show near the end. They say "practice flags" over and over.

And finally, for Pete's sake, you are in one of the warmest areas of the U.S., finish your drill before you hit the field so that we don't have to go through this every year. It's starting to get very old.......

Amen!

I don't understand why after a winter of monthly camps and a month (or more) of everydays, corps can't seem to put a more-or-less finished product on the field.

This weekend was, more-or-less, the first weekend with everyone's shows done out here ... DCI Quarter finals is five weeks from now. Half the season is done and we're just finishing our shows? Something is broken here.

guys... They lost a MAJOR rehearsal site a week before they were supposed to go for almost 2 weeks. The school they settled for had little to no time on a field.

The the white flags are just temp until they get the real ones.

guys... They lost a MAJOR rehearsal site a week before they were supposed to go for almost 2 weeks. The school they settled for had little to no time on a field.

The the white flags are just temp until they get the real ones.

The rehearsal site loss is regrettable.

The flags, I don't understand.

Seems like planning issues all around.