Santa Clara's Show

Just watched SCV's show from Saturday - WOW - They have really stepped up their visual design this year. I think back to a few years ago when they weren't doing so hot - look at the progress.

My only complaint of their show is the closer - for taking their time to get it on the field. It is not at the same level as the rest of the show (as many have pointed out)

Some major visual rewrites in the last few minutes are needed to make this a championship callibre show.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The writing style of the drill in the closer doesn't look the same as the other portions of the show. Did Pete Weber even write the closer?

Dunno. The style seemed the same to me though. The style of the piece of music they're using however, is not.

Re: How SCV does (or, at least did) major changes....

QUICKLY. In '04, our entire closer was written, re-written, and re-re-written before we had it right... I remember we learned the entire, or at least most of the closer in like one day.... Lots of musical tweaks, but that's life people... C'mon, it's SCV... They're FINE. Chill.

In sum, either 3hree needs to be 4our, or there needs to be a major psychodelic recapitulation of the previous 2 pieces at the end.

But I do think SCV will be just fine. I'm ecstatic about the show, as it is one of my fav's since 04 and will clearly be a top 5 show.

It doesn't have a "Vanguard"....but that is seriously my only complaint at all.

The Stanford show was amazing as far as camera angles, and I finally got to see the closer! Pete Webber outdid himself with this show, and the entire Santa Clara Vanguard has my absolute favorite program this year! Very very awesome!

This may get closed...don't really care. I'm having a great time on vacation and wanted to let everyone know how I feel about the coolest show this season!

I have always been a great fan of SCV and their drills and I can't wait to see them as they make their way to Texas. I will at least wait until the Texas run when I have had a chance to view everyone at least once before the coolest show award is given out. And the Texas run is right around the corner and then...Murfreesboro.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I've watched the SCV show a few times now, and still haven't been able to REALLY get into it. I am traditionally a big SCV fan. Some of my favorite drum corps memories are all about the Vanguard. Also, the last two years have been very enjoyable shows for me. Lastly, I really like The Chairman Dances, but...

First off, the arrangements and pacing of the Chairman Dances is not all too effective (for me). It takes a long time to really get going...BUT, they can fix some of this, and I hope they do.

Secondly, the 2nd piece (can never really remember the name of it)... I just don't get it. Everyone says how "jammin'" it is, and it does nothing for me. The drum arrangements do not really show off anything special from the drumline. Everyone says how terrific they are, but I just don't see it yet. I hope they show me more! The "jam" session is awkward and forced to me. The placement of the horns is not the most effective staging choice for this moment. Look back at SCV's '98 and '99 shows, the arcs, right in the middle of the field...guard can be in front, in the middle, in back...all kinds of stuff. When you're jammin', I want to feel it... they are just too far away. Also, the slow tempo of that production (to me) does not warrant such a "jam" moment. Sorry...just not a fan of this section of the show...at all.

Lastly, the drill. I keep reading that the drill is so wonderful, etc... Don't get me wrong, it's COOL drill. The last two years have been very cool in drill design. The few problems I have with the drill this year is that it is going to be painfully difficult to clean and there are some spots that just don't make any sense. There is a moment in the opener, while in the middle of a musical phrase, the corps halts... They are facing backfield, and they hornline is in three small triangles... I just don't get it...

NOW... There are things that the Santa Clara team can do to fix that...and I know we all hope they do! Keep working hard... we are rootin' for ya!

Nate

I've watched the SCV show a few times now, and still haven't been able to REALLY get into it. I am traditionally a big SCV fan. Some of my favorite drum corps memories are all about the Vanguard. Also, the last two years have been very enjoyable shows for me. Lastly, I really like The Chairman Dances, but...

First off, the arrangements and pacing of the Chairman Dances is not all too effective (for me). It takes a long time to really get going...BUT, they can fix some of this, and I hope they do.

Secondly, the 2nd piece (can never really remember the name of it)... I just don't get it. Everyone says how "jammin'" it is, and it does nothing for me. The drum arrangements do not really show off anything special from the drumline. Everyone says how terrific they are, but I just don't see it yet. I hope they show me more! The "jam" session is awkward and forced to me. The placement of the horns is not the most effective staging choice for this moment. Look back at SCV's '98 and '99 shows, the arcs, right in the middle of the field...guard can be in front, in the middle, in back...all kinds of stuff. When you're jammin', I want to feel it... they are just too far away. Also, the slow tempo of that production (to me) does not warrant such a "jam" moment. Sorry...just not a fan of this section of the show...at all.

Lastly, the drill. I keep reading that the drill is so wonderful, etc... Don't get me wrong, it's COOL drill. The last two years have been very cool in drill design. The few problems I have with the drill this year is that it is going to be painfully difficult to clean and there are some spots that just don't make any sense. There is a moment in the opener, while in the middle of a musical phrase, the corps halts... They are facing backfield, and they hornline is in three small triangles... I just don't get it...

NOW... There are things that the Santa Clara team can do to fix that...and I know we all hope they do! Keep working hard... we are rootin' for ya!

Nate

Hi Nate, I'm Nate!

Sorry, it's rare for me to meet other people named Nate.

I found out last night that the closer wasn't on the field until now because THERE WAS NO DRILL WRITTEN. I think Pete Weber does an excellent job in writing the drill, but come on. Really? That has little to nothing to do with the rehearsal site. To me that falls in the hands of one person.

Can we get a source for this? Not saying it's inaccurate, but it is a pretty bold statement and I wouldn't mind getting some confirmation.

I've just been under the impression that the closer wasn't on the field because it wasn't ready. I saw a run through in 07 where SCV performed the entire show, and then I saw them the very next night in Riverside and they stopped before the closer because it wasn't ready for the actual field. And then the next night they played it in Walnut, and not only did they have three falls in the closer but they also stopped beating the Blue Devils around then too. So this year I thought they just wanted to be ready.

I assumed all the triangles and 3-element sets were supposed to illustrate "3hree".

I thought the drill writing was pretty awesome, but I did feel like it's pretty disconnected from the music book. For example, in the closer, there is a huge series of moves to assemble two rotating pinwheels which then disassemble to make the final set - it's certainly a coherent visual idea and a long visual phrase. The problem is that the music book changes character several times leading up to the ending, so it's a little weird to see the drill continue on oblivious to all that.

Can't agree with your take on their music book (or at least 2/3 of it), though. I think their first two pieces are the most interesting charts on the field this summer.

SCV's show, by someone else's observation on another thread and my own is only 10.5 minutes long. It seems like they have about 1.5 minutes of room to spare which I am sure they will fill with a closer. In my review, I suggested doing what they did in 2003 where they played Orawa for their opener and closer... and I absolutely LOVED that show! We'll see! I love the excitement! :)