Cadets explain the 2008 narration

They can and are doing things differently...and I have to accept it because I can't change it...but I can still think and express that it sucks.

And I just expressed that you suck. Reminds me of the Simpsons quote:

"I guess we'll just have to 'agree to disagree!'"

"I don't agree to that!"

"I don't agree to that either!"

:thumbup:

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a fan of BOA for several years, so I've seen the opposite end of the spectrum, and I can say that Cadets 2007 "This I Believe" was the most well written, well designed show with narration that I've seen. I can't judge 08 yet because there are many changes to be made. But I'm glad someone out there is being different, even if it's only one corps =)

The problem this year, for me, isn't the narration.

The problem this year is that beneath the narration, the material that the corps is playing and marching is boring as all hell.

I could stand "This I Believe" and "Dance Derby of the Century" because much of the actual productions were watchable and listenable.

I just can't get into the Cadets' show this year, but that's fine, because I love the Cadets most other years, and it'd be silly if I expected to like them all.

I also disagree with this statement. The Cadets have pretty much always had great show designs both visually and musically. When they started using narration, the stories they told in their shows became more complex. Because their stories got more complex, they now need narration to tell them without leaving any confusion. This does not mean that their show design (visually and musically) is poor, because it most certainly is not.

What's wrong with leaving people confused? Star '93 still has a lot of people scratching their heads and I'm fine with that. What's wrong with letting people interpret or even mis-interpret art the way they want to? You hit on something when you said their "stories" became more complex after they started using narration. Now what they are trying to tell is not only complex but nebulous to the point that they're now putting out videos explaining how we are to interpret the narration.

I would be very annoyed if an artist was standing next to his painting in a museum telling me how I'm supposed to view what he's doing. Then, for him to get upset with me when I don't see it the same way would be way over the top IMO. I would be tempted to ask him to shut his cake-hole so I'd have time to take in the wonderful piece of art he's created.

Sometimes watching the director's cut/explanation track on a DVD is a blast, but if every movie came with that option ONLY, I wouldn't buy it.

In other words, any show with any type of voice in it is inherently poorly designed. This is the kind of attitude that will kill the drum corps activity faster than anything DCI or any BOD could do.

betcha it won't kill it faster than OPEC :thumbup:

I never in any way said they were the same.
Either an element other than music/visual in the show equals poor design or not. You said it, chief. Own it.
I also did not add anything, in fact I went back and requoted the guy.

What is the voice in Phantom's show there for at all if not to advance the story they are trying to portray?

What you added was the idea that any and/or all elements in a show that aren't music was anything at all what he was talking about.

And the vocal in Phantom's show is a hit. It's an emphasis. It's a powerchord, without the chord. It's "VIVE LA FRANCE!!". It's a step or two up from "SAC", but not substantially, and in the show rather than before it. It's a drum lick. It's no more an explanation of their show than an opening chord is.

What you added was the idea that any and/or all elements in a show that aren't music was anything at all what he was talking about.

And the vocal in Phantom's show is a hit. It's an emphasis. It's a powerchord, without the chord. It's "VIVE LA FRANCE!!". It's a step or two up from "SAC", but not substantially, and in the show rather than before it. It's a drum lick. It's no more an explanation of their show than an opening chord is.

It's a hit? It's a drum lick? Seriously? And you have been taking me to task on my words?

It's voice. Period. You can't change that no matter how you spin it.

Let's try this then.

1. Remove all the narration from The Cadets show WITHOUT changing any of the music. How would the show hold up?

2. Remove all the narration from Phantom's show WITHOUT changing any of the music. How would the show hold up?

Guest xsabers
It's a hit? It's a drum lick? Seriously? And you have been taking me to task on my words?

It's voice. Period. You can't change that no matter how you spin it.

But it is NOT narration. Period. You can't change that no matter how you spin it. :thumbup:

But it is NOT narration. Period. You can't change that no matter how you spin it. :thumbup:

Spin what? I did not say the word narration. I said voice, which is not music.

Edited by LAMystreaux