CROWN BEAT CADETS!

Yeah... but are washboards legal?

Ask Hops... Cadets used them on first tour in '96.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outscoring a great corps as Cadets or whomever ONCE is a milestone accomplishment but y'all might backoff on the Crown Kool Aid in public abit until you consistently demonstrate success. IMHO, I'm getting deja of Star-like animosity out there. Just say'in.

/flames on

The journey of a thousand miles starts with the very FIRST step.

I apologize . . .I guess I should have phrased that better.

I guess I was taken aback by the brazenness of such a statement about the activity so much that I had to doubt it a little.

Again, sorry. No harm, no foul. :wub:

absolutely none - I've been in this whacky activity since about 1961 (when I was very young) and I really didn't mean to sound offended. This forum would be a sorry place for the thin skinned. I was a little incredulous at the time, though I had "known" (in a competitive drum corps sort of way you know people from other corps) George since he was a snare drummer in Crossmen and I was a brass guy with Bridgemen, and judged for him in the original CMBC band circuit. I actually like and respect him quite a bit, but I'm not sure even he would claim that there isn't a hubris issue.

I wonder how many top execs with DCI have none? Or even top staff members? On this particular plan of his though, which came mighty close to passing way back, I just totally totally disagreed and voiced it. Thanks for your feedback.

Edited by rayfallon

IF that's true, then I am really shocked at that statement. But that's IF it's true.

And back to Crown,

Congratulations again!!!

Ya know, I kind of understand why you'd doubt the veracity of my claim. You marched for George, and don't know me from a hole in the ground, and it sounds wild written on a page like this. It made enough of an impression on me to stick in my brain for 12 years or so, but I honestly think that George was being pretty straight-forward about something that he saw as self-evident at the time - if you look at the mid-90s the top 6 were starting to be chiseled in granite. I think that George thought that allowing those corps to become sort of super-corps would be good for the activity. To me it was a question of keeping the dream alive for corps that hadn't arrived yet, but still might. At that point, Boston had yet to make finals ever, and later achieved that top 6 status. If you had told anyone that that would happen (at least back then in '96) it would have seemed like Tampa Bay beating the Cubs in the World Series. (Probably a bad analogy).

I appreciate your skepticism, and invite you to ask George when you see him.

I honestly didn't write this as an attack, just sort of a nostalgic perspective of how some things have changed so much, while some so little.

Dash why is 95 highlighted in your signature? Is that somehow greater than A Southwestern Impression and Chess? :wub:

For the record...I think somebody probably will start that thread....or prematurely predict the sudden fall from the Top 12 that Crown will face the rest of the season. haha Let's hope that doesn't happen

Well... this really should be another thread, but after 3 billion posts who's going to complain?

1994 was my rookie season, a good intro to drum corps for a rookie, but competitively stagnant. We started 17th, were 17th mid season, and ended up: yes. 17th. There was virtually no threat from below and we were nowhere near any other corps ahead of us. Sure, it was the Crown's highest placement to date and our first semi-finals appearance, but as far as competition went it was none too thrilling. Check it out if you want to: I uploaded it to Google video. The audio gets a tad off because I used the CD audio with captured VHS video.

1995 was everything I could have asked for in drum corps season. I was around great people, playing a show that I loved rehearsing and performing. Just about every show was a very tight head to head battle with Crossmen or Magic, or Crossmen AND Magic. Seriously, there were maybe 2 shows that we didn't see either one or both of them. 95 was also the first time we outscored Crossmen, Magic, Troopers, Boston, VK, Spirit, and the Blue Knights. To top it all off we made finals that season (right between Crossmen and Magic) for the first time in the corps history. I had the time of my life that summer. Check out the '95 season scores for Crossmen, Crown, and Magic: http://www.fromthepressbox.com/1995seasonscores.htm

1996 was my age out season. I didn't really enjoy it. This really should be another thread. I could go on for quite a while. It was the most talented hornline of the 3 I was a member of and by far the worst sounding. 10th place that season, highest placement at the time. 13th in brass. I can't stand to listen to the recording. Maybe one day I'll write about all of this.

So, in short, 1995 means more to me than '94 and '96. That's why I don't have it as '94 - 96', I wanted to emphasize the '95.

Oh yeah, for the rest of you: See DCImonkey's avatar? That's the very same baritone I used in '96.

PS - Was this the first time Crown beat a former DCI Champ (dat's a good feeling too). :wub:

Nope, that was in 2001 when they beat the Madison Scouts for the first time

They also beat Santa Clara for the first time in 2005

Touche!!!!!!

BTW Fallon isn't thinskinned one word!!! :wub:

never thought about it! Dictionary.com (which I keep open on my desktop at work) says thin-skinned. They also reference thinskinned (one word no hyphen) as a reference from Encyclopaedia Britannica (at Britannica.com). I think (hope?) that you can use it as I did, sort of an adverb-adjective combination.

Otherwise I have disgraced my family and must now do the honorable thing.

Thank you though for showing me that there are bigger spelling and grammar freaks than I left out there in the world.

My numerous offspring would be surprised and amused, especially to see me corrected.