NEW CORPS !Magic of Mobile Drum and Bugle Corps

I'm sorry to point these two things out, but I think this may help in your recruiting efforts next year.

*I'm just going to get straight to the point: your fees are ridiculous. $2,750!?! Most World Class finalists don't even charge that much! Unless you want to lose all of your members to Mempho and Spirit, you've gotta lighten up A LOT.

*I read on your website that experience in a high school marching band is required for membership. For a corps that is just starting out, isn't that kind of unrealistic? At this point in your history you should focus on getting what you can, not what you want. I guarantee that in almost every Open Class corps today there's at least 1-5 members that are getting their first ever marching lessons from their respective corps. Building a successful drum corps should be hard work for the members and staff alike, THAT's waht it's all about!!!

I hope my opinions helped and didn't just make you angry. Good luck, can't wait to see you in '09!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the world's foremost effort in being able to sniff out B.S., bordering on dang near supernatural abilities, it is of my professional opinion this is a legit offering, yet, as Oldbones used another start up corps as an example, perhaps on the "hype" side of things before reality has set in. But what do I know--I'm 2000 miles away from Mobile, Alabama. As I know the show designer listed on their website, I know they have at least one piece of the pie taken care of. But yes, from the business end, I have some legitimate concerns, and WHO KNOWS...

Maybe these folks have it all figured out already.

My red flags remain down at this time. So says I, so shall it be.

I just want to add a couple of things.

I am 30, marched drum corps ( a former div II/III corps ) and I'm on the design team. Matter of fact, I was instructed by a poster on this thread. (How is life going Chris?) I'm very well aware of talent level and recruitment difficulties of an open class corps. My first season of corps, the 3rd sopranos never touched soprano before camps. They played oboe, flute, and percussion. Of the 4 of them only one had marching experience and he was the only one old enough to drive. We took high brass in Div II and placed 2nd at finals. That should answer the question that not one of us is over 21, never marched and has no idea on the talent level and challenges faced in developing an Open Class corps. :)

Off to bed I go as I've been writing drill all night. :)

( Posted via an Opera mini browser on a cell phone... Give me a break on the grammer :))

Hey man, was glad to see your name on the corps site. Best of Luck with Magic, and if I or FPAA can be of any help with the project, please let me know!

You guys are certainly invited to Brass Hysteria 09 (since we are now 2 years into our habit of being the debut performance for new corps)

I'm sorry to point these two things out, but I think this may help in your recruiting efforts next year.

*I'm just going to get straight to the point: your fees are ridiculous. $2,750!?! Most World Class finalists don't even charge that much! Unless you want to lose all of your members to Mempho and Spirit, you've gotta lighten up A LOT.

those fee's are very realistic figures. Corps tour fees are going to double by next season

those fee's are very realistic figures. Corps tour fees are going to double by next season

agreed. if this corps plans a full touring i completely understand why they would have a large fee like this. to argue that most world class corps dont even charge this much... is sort of silly. its not as much of a long shot as you all think. do i agree with the full touring though? um... maybe not but who am i to say a corps should not do a full tour? if they can manage it they have the right to do it. we all know too little about this new corps right now to judge anything they are planning. the director seems very optimistic and driven which can also lead to great things. it means he is probably willing to work around any situation to make sure the corps fields and has a great summer. yes it could lead to bad things if there is poor planning but we all have no idea what has been planned by him or the corps' board of directors. everyone should chill and see what happens. no one will genuinely listen to a bunch of invisible people on a message board if you give suggestions on how to "not screw up." I bet this director has had telephone or in-person talks with other people with much experience.

time will tell.

agreed. if this corps plans a full touring i completely understand why they would have a large fee like this. to argue that most world class corps dont even charge this much... is sort of silly. its not as much of a long shot as you all think. do i agree with the full touring though? um... maybe not but who am i to say a corps should not do a full tour? if they can manage it they have the right to do it. we all know too little about this new corps right now to judge anything they are planning. the director seems very optimistic and driven which can also lead to great things. it means he is probably willing to work around any situation to make sure the corps fields and has a great summer. yes it could lead to bad things if there is poor planning but we all have no idea what has been planned by him or the corps' board of directors. everyone should chill and see what happens. no one will genuinely listen to a bunch of invisible people on a message board if you give suggestions on how to "not screw up." I bet this director has had telephone or in-person talks with other people with much experience.

time will tell.

I am speculating that the WAY in which drum corps tour will change. Tour fees can double next year - yet it is likely (if they do) that far less people will choose to participate, or that quality of membership will boil down to who can (and will) afford it. Unless fuel comes down, since it drives up ALL costs, Corps may choose spend less time "in transit" look for breaks in their touring schedule that will save them money. Magic's fee may be based on reality, but could be a reality in which (based on cost) many will not participate. If they can charge that and get a solid membership - more power to them!

Hey....

Check out Murphy High School, I'm with Teal and we are staying here right now for a few days of rehearsal. This is a great facility and the band director Stan is incredible!!!!! Usually he hosts Cadets, and this year we at Teal have the pleasure of staying here.....it is worth a try to contact him. He is a big supporter of drum corps!

Best of luck Magic......

ps - it's nice to see that Magic name again!

Hey....

Check out Murphy High School, I'm with Teal and we are staying here right now for a few days of rehearsal. This is a great facility and the band director Stan is incredible!!!!! Usually he hosts Cadets, and this year we at Teal have the pleasure of staying here.....it is worth a try to contact him. He is a big supporter of drum corps!

Best of luck Magic......

ps - it's nice to see that Magic name again!

Just curiuos..........I' m sure this might have been answered before " Why the name Magic "

Best of Luck

The name Magic of Mobile comes from the point that Mobile has a magical history with drum corps. and plus Mardi Gras is a magical time to be here. the city shuts down and it is a big party.