I first said it in 2000 on RAMD,

I throughly enjoy Crown, especially the last few years. So for an entertainmemt quotient, they are Champions already in my book.

But in order to be genuinely considered Title contenders, they will first and foremost need to finish 2nd to 4th first.

There are a litany of Corps over the years that have gotten CLOSE to a Title, but then fell back ( or worse, folded )

In order to break the Cadevaliers hedgemony, it's going to take a LOT it seems to me.

History, unfortunately is not on Crown's side.

But man, that would be so cool!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will probably get some flame for this.....but.

Crown, and more specifiably Bluecoats, remind me of say Glassmen early 2000's, BAC, or Madison from a few years ago. I can see these corps coming up and making some noise but it'll be real hard to retain that quality. Even two of the greatest corps, SCV/PR, have had their troubles with retaining that quality.

Not saying championship, but I think Bluestars could continue their move upwards and reach possibly as high as 6-8th place in the near future. If these mid level corps continue the way they have been I think in the next 5 years we'll see 5 different sets of final corps with several changes each year!

It's GOOD, but strikes me as falling just short of having that extra level of intellectual design built in that usually places at the top. Time will tell.

I think that Cavies and Cadets are vulnerable this summer because their design has missed the mark. Crown's show just works, which might push their GE above the more difficult visual programs of the other two.

We'll see, although I think Top 4 is a lock this year.

Carolina Crown will be the next new champion of DCI. No, it will not be this year, and it will not be next year, but I do predict that the year 2010 will see Carolina Crown as the DCI Champion.

When I look back and judge this corps as a whole, no by individual years. Their shows have been so entertaining, so crwod pleasing, so unique, and so diverse. I really liked every year except for the "Gods/myths" show, only because it could have been so much better.

2004 was even a great year, sans singing and poetry reading. But since 2004 ? These shows are monsters.

Their presence on the field this year, the confidence, profesionalism, poise and carriage is just amazing and titally remind me of how I felt about Garfield back in 1982, especially that night in August in Bayonne.

The attitude of these kids is also unreal, so frickin nice to talk to and engage in conversation with. They are so gracious when complimenting them and arenot rude when critical, they have a sense of humour and everyone I talked to this year so far just stopped and chatted away as if not a care in the world.

This orgamization is just overflowing with class and they deserve all the success they achieve.

Wow,

Geoffrey

What do you guys think ???

Does this organization have the financial wherewithal to finish the journey to the top? Simply asking, I know nothing about the support base or management of this fine corps.

Does this organization have the financial wherewithal to finish the journey to the top? Simply asking, I know nothing about the support base or management of this fine corps.

I'd say so. . .most of Crowns moves over the years have been made in order to provide the best chance possible for the corps to succeed. Measured risk, etc.

Even if they don't end up in the Top whatever this year, there's a great foundation there to keep building on into the future.

I think that Cavies and Cadets are vulnerable this summer because their design has missed the mark. Crown's show just works, which might push their GE above the more difficult visual programs of the other two.

We'll see, although I think Top 4 is a lock this year.

I'm not convinced just yet that it's '"a lock " that Crown beats Phantom and/ or The Cadets to get that 4th position.

' Hope so, though.

I'd say so. . .most of Crowns moves over the years have been made in order to provide the best chance possible for the corps to succeed. Measured risk, etc.

Even if they don't end up in the Top whatever this year, there's a great foundation there to keep building on into the future.

Yeah, I agree. If anything, I see the level of talent that shows up for auditions going higher and higher for them. Combine that with a good design team like they have now, and it bodes well for their future.

I attended the Olando show ,

Crown was, in a few words "Absolutely Awaome!!!!!!!!!!" Their hornline just keeps getting better, and better. The guard is as good as ever, and their drumline is super .

As a traditionalist , the show itself is as good as any DCI show ever, as good as anything Scouts, SCV , Phantom, BD , Cavies have ever put on the field. I have seen 1975 Scouts, 1988 Scouts, 1999 SCV ..This show is in that class...

They will deserve much consideration for a top 3 finals finish with a production like this.I

Carolina Crown will be the next new champion of DCI. No, it will not be this year, and it will not be next year, but I do predict that the year 2010 will see Carolina Crown as the DCI Champion.

When I look back and judge this corps as a whole, no by individual years. Their shows have been so entertaining, so crwod pleasing, so unique, and so diverse. I really liked every year except for the "Gods/myths" show, only because it could have been so much better.

2004 was even a great year, sans singing and poetry reading. But since 2004 ? These shows are monsters.

Their presence on the field this year, the confidence, profesionalism, poise and carriage is just amazing and titally remind me of how I felt about Garfield back in 1982, especially that night in August in Bayonne.

The attitude of these kids is also unreal, so frickin nice to talk to and engage in conversation with. They are so gracious when complimenting them and arenot rude when critical, they have a sense of humour and everyone I talked to this year so far just stopped and chatted away as if not a care in the world.

This orgamization is just overflowing with class and they deserve all the success they achieve.

Wow,

Geoffrey

What do you guys think ???

You DO realize that every hit in their 2008 show is in the key of B-flat, right? EDIT:{...and end is in Eb...}

And you DO realize that Bluecoats have hits in f minor (opening sequence), g minor (shout), Eb 7 (end of opener), e-minor (park n blow in round 3), a minor/d minor (2/3 of closer), with a final chord of the show in C Major (gotta be a drum corps first). ROund 4 is basic Bb as is end of round three. THat's IT.

I haven't heard anyone other than Bloo, Crown and Cadets. (I can't discern anything with Cadets, but that's for another day.)

I'm not saying Bloo's achieving anything, but before you "crown" a new champion, understand that Carolina Crown is going to have to start doing more-difficult things.

Crown has all of the inertia right now. I was at the Orlando show. It was my dad's first drum corps experience. He had Crown first, Bloo 2nd and Cadets 3rd...he knows NOTHING about music/drum corps! I had Crown first, Cadets 2nd and Bloo 3rd, but I quipped to my dad "But that's only if the judges think Crown has enough inertia this year!" They did THAT night.

IF the judges care to discern levels of musical ensemble difficulty (not usually, fwiw), Crown won't last.

Recall that your predication, combined with Competitive Inertia, means that Crow will have to come in 3rd or 2nd either this year or next. It WILL NOT be this year. (should not, anyway, no matter how much they "achieve," since the music is so simple)

Now, as a FAN(atic) of drum corps I HOPE YOU"RE RIGHT!!!!! Man, we need new blood in the Top 3 BIG TIME.

But Crown has kept things simple (and clean and entertaining)...very good baby steps. They're gunna have to bring a whole new music book to be considered elite, however.

Edited by Bruckner8

And how soon after your RAMD post did Catherine call you a "Bando"? :thumbup:
Wow, it could have easily gone a lot worse than that. surrender_on_icon-1.gif