Houston Heat Wave

The guys that run parking/security at the Berry Center also run the show at the NFL stadium in town, and I think they forgot which place they were working in :tongue:

When we marched off the field the gate guys tried to stop our honor guard WHILE THEY WERE MARCHING to put wrist bands on them to get back into the stadium. I watched them try the same thing to the Troopers, I am surprised the EMS crew did not get a call! Then, since the pit got sent out a different gate, we did not get wristbands and had to go back and explain to the guys at the other gate why we did not have them.

But...things at this show still run pretty smooth if you are a performer, lots of folks around in the lot and stadium clearly marked if you need something. :tongue:

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm another who disagrees with the "playing backfield as a copout" stuff. There are often times when the EFFECT of playing backfield and resonating the sound off the back stands creates a musical effect that simply cannot be produced playing towards the audience at a softer dynamic level. And I appreciate corps who know how to maximize that technique. Not all of them are as adept and effective at it as others.

I'm another who disagrees with the "playing backfield as a copout" stuff. There are often times when the EFFECT of playing backfield and resonating the sound off the back stands creates a musical effect that simply cannot be produced playing towards the audience at a softer dynamic level. And I appreciate corps who know how to maximize that technique. Not all of them are as adept and effective at it as others.

I'm in total agreement with this statement. I can think of numerous shows (SCV 1998, Cadets 2000 in the "Clocks" piece, Cavaliers 1998) where that effect was excellent and really added a sense of build for the desired effect of getting the audience out of their seats.

I'm in total agreement with this statement. I can think of numerous shows (SCV 1998, Cadets 2000 in the "Clocks" piece, Cavaliers 1998) where that effect was excellent and really added a sense of build for the desired effect of getting the audience out of their seats.

1985 BD's finale, "Full Circle" comes to mind for me.

Unbelievable the stadium folks, BUT, it seems that the contest/show coordinator should of had that resolved before the gates were opened.

Blue Stars are doing a bit of backfield playing this year and I think it's pretty effective at the beginning of the St Saens Organ Symphony Chorale in the closer... the reverb and open sound are a good match for the organ/cathedral mood. I especially like what the Blue Stars did with backfield playing in 2006 during their O Come Emanuel/Liturgical Dances section. Very otherworldly. Of course, followed by what they called the four notes of the apocalypse. :tongue:

There are definitely instances where backfield playing is relevent in a show. The senora sound that comes off the stands can have a huge impact for a given moment in the show.

One excellent example would be the Cavies backfield playing in the Planets 1995 opener.

There are also great times to turn around and show off that control and attention to detail that a hornline has, and Crown's show this year is a prime example.

As far as your comment about pp and ppp being a "back field cop out", I tend to disagree with that statement. I mean, given the past few years there have been a number of corps who have played that volume backfield, but I tend to think it has more to do with the effect of setting up the big impact points for the audience. I can remember back in 2000 during "Chaos" where we played a pp portion of the number toward the audience and then played the fff portion backfield. It was just the opposite of what you pointed out. That effect was kind of weird in my opinion but it did a great job of setting up the mellophone part immediately after.

Thanks for the compliments.

I agree that it (playing back field) can be a really cool effect and I didn't mean to imply that nobody but Crown will play pp to the front. I just get the feeling it is over utilized by many corps not as much for the effect but to cover up their inability to play controlled at softer volumes.

In show order:

Troopers- Great show to kick of the DCI corps tonight. The corps had great energy and the sound was meaty. Quality playing and marching by the corps. The guard still needs some work. Lots of drops. Am I the only one that's over the heavy use of neon on the field? Great closer.

Colts- I said it last year and I'll say it again, god I love the corps uniform. Great playing, still alot of opprotunities for visuals in parked sets. The guard design looks dated to me, but they spin great.

Blue Stars- OMG! Where did this dark horse come from?! I watched rehearsal this afternoon and was worried about the dirt in the weapons line. However, tonight at the show, the corps as a whole was ON. Great concept and creative design. Who else but Michael Shapiro would attach bicycle handles to a flag pole, then use said bikepole to swing around a sabre extended in the air?! Loved the change to the white pants in the corps. So sophisticated. OH and the visual book?!!!! Such a great job. Keep it up Stars Staff and Corps!

Spirit- I didn't get this show....and I love the abstract. Not alot of crowd response either as several of us were left scratching our heads.

Glassmen- Lots of kids from the Cypress/Houston area in this corps. Super cute concept and very sophisticated guard design. I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing, but I really don't remember the corps proper. My attention was totally on the 45 member guard. I did giggle at the use of "Breakfast Machine" from Peewee's Big Adventure. Very creative show.

The Cadets- Sorry but the stage in the middle of the field is not needed. I get the idea of the show. I got it when I saw the same idea done by Cedar Park HS last fall....quite frankly, the high school band did it better. (I'm sure I'm going to be flamed for that) I DID like the percussion feature. The tag slow bit on the end of the show is not needed IMO.

Crown- I've only been a Crown fan the last three years. I *wish* I had whatever creative juju that design team has. The guard costuming, staging and design is FANTASTIC. As always a knock out. Drill and musicallity of the corps proper was right on the money and the power chords from this corps were balanced and intense....definately the fave of the night. I look for this corps finish top 5 this season.

Boston- I felt bad first off because the stands started emptying out when BAC took the field. I guess folks thought the best was done with. Personally I think it was rude...IMO. Dug the way they incorporated the Air Blades...it fit the show concept.

Obviously I'm a guard director so I was watching the guard and visuals more than anything. However, this girl DOES like to have her face ripped off with gratuitous power chords :) Again, just my opinion with the above critique.

So....uh....yeah. You like forgot one corps.