Teal Sound was robbed in LA

Thank-you for posting this - you read my mind. Something doesn't seem right here. No corps carries around (or should carry around) cash for fuel and food. That's a basic principle of management. Most corps have cards set up with all major fuel companies and have food drops that involving billing rather than cash payment. I'd be interested to hear more of the details regarding the situation - hopefully the director will comment.

Food drops may well involve billing, but most corps still have to make daily runs for items such as milk, eggs, fruit, etc. that often may need a cash payment. I can also understand where some cash might be needed for some fuel stops (emergency in nature). I would hope, however, that we aren't talking about an amount of several thousand dollars here.

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZO PETE...how about we focus on Teal Sound's dilemma and what we're doing to help without:

A) Worrying about the WHY's!!! SENSELESS. You're not there, you have no idea their procedures. Let it go. It doesn't make it less of a crime or a disaster for the corps. Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh sakes alive...

ANNNNNNNNNNNND...

B) Discussing the socio/economic/political make up of Louisiana. It's NOT central to the DISASTER that has come upon Teal Sound!!!

$25 from me. More to come next Friday as I learn more and find out what they need...

Food drops may well involve billing, but most corps still have to make daily runs for items such as milk, eggs, fruit, etc. that often may need a cash payment. I can also understand where some cash might be needed for some fuel stops (emergency in nature). I would hope, however, that we aren't talking about an amount of several thousand dollars here.

Exactly- food runs for perishables are usually done every few days & you need cash or a bank/visa card for it. I did a food run for Crossmen on the 5th when they were in Jersey. 30 loaves of bread, 10 gallons of milk, and a few random things they needed cost $150. And I got the super cheap on sale bread too!

IIRC, the cash food budget for store runs last summer was $150 a day.

So if Teal's budget is similar for daily perishables (I'm guessing it is since kids in nearly all corps eat 4x daily), then that's $2100 for two weeks worth of perishable food runs. Then add the emergency fuel cash on top of that.

Edited by kac

In addition, most of the money taken in from souvie sales is also in cash, so most corps have an enourmous amount of cash with them on the road.

You can't exactly make a bank deposit after midnight while 1000 miles from your home branch.

Stop judging the corps management. I know Teal's staff, and they know what they are doing far better than most of the negative commenters here.

Donation made.

Hey Gang,

Mike Steiner here....brass guy for Teal. As I sit here in New Orleans while the corps is enjoying themselves, I'm brought to tears of happiness as I read what you all have said and done. I've told the corps take my little pay and put it to the fund too. I do appreciate everything you all are doing and for the support.

There is nothing better than the drum corps family.......members, staff, parents and fans alike!!!!

Thank you all again!!!!

Rock out,

Steiner

Done. And I'm sorry to hear from The Other Mike about the continued suffering in this once great city of New Orleans. My prayers are with you.

And by the way, for any other dumbasses like me who keep entering a donation and their Paypal login information and clicking the OK button only to get a reply message about how you have to enter a donation amount higher than $0 and you sit there wondering WT...???, the step you're missing is clicking the Update Amount button after entering the amount you want to donate. Then enter your Paypal login and it will work.

Edited by Peel Paint

Hey Gang,

Mike Steiner here....brass guy for Teal. As I sit here in New Orleans while the corps is enjoying themselves, I'm brought to tears of happiness as I read what you all have said and done. I've told the corps take my little pay and put it to the fund too. I do appreciate everything you all are doing and for the support.

There is nothing better than the drum corps family.......members, staff, parents and fans alike!!!!

Thank you all again!!!!

Rock out,

Steiner

Pure class keep up the great work!