Why is it...?

Most of the things I have read on here I agree with, or can understand the emotions behind, but this post I couldn't agree with more. Unfortunately in this day and age there are only three or four corps who have any shot at taking the title. While I agree with the fact that the differences in design are huge between the upper and lower corps, there is a huge difference in the talent that all of the corps attract. If corps like the Cadets and Devils attract 300+ potential members to auditions while the Troopers have to post requests for guard members here after the start of the season realistically there is no way these groups can can have membership on the same talent level. Not to mention differences in rehearsal times, housing facilities, etc..

Your point is well taken. I don't have the exposure as you do to the recruiting part, and it must certainly be true and something I didn't consider. Having said that, it is still the design of show that makes or breaks it in the top echelon. How about for one season the top 5 designers switch with the bottom 5, then we'll see if it's true. My guess is that we're both a little bit right!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the Detriot Tigers have the highest team payroll in MLB now, not the NY Yankees. (But why quibble. It still works in the excuse- making dept. for the also rans baseball team's fan bases.)

Actually, the NYY payroll ($209,081,579) is more than $70 million more than Detroit ($138,685,197).

:thumbup:

Go Tigers!

Edited by Fievel

Ok, for 2007, I really believe BD was overrated.

But there definitely is a reason they're undefeated this year. This show is the most put together/polished of any out there. Plus, it is very difficult, much, much more difficult than last year's, which is my main problem with '07.

I will not be shocked and I will not be angry/disappointed when BD lifts the trophy at Bloomington.

Actually, the NYY payroll ($209,081,579) is more than $70 million more than Detroit ($138,685,197).

:thumbup:

Go Tigers!

hey.... I double checked and you're RIGHT, Fievel.

Detriot Tigers moved up to 2ND in team payroll AFTER the Yankees ( and are ahead and larger in payroll than Boston, Atlanta, LA, NY Mets, etc )

As an aside, looks like Detriot Tigers are turning it around now after a horrendous start to the season in April. Good for them !

Why is it that ANY year the Cavaliers, Phantom, or Vanguard are the front runner, everybody is frolicking around this forum like it's Christmas morning... But when all of a sudden, we get 2 years in a row where the Blue Devils are really good, everybody feels the need to show their fangs. The Blue Devils put a stunning show on the field last year, and have gone even further this year, and all that seems to happen is people get hot and bothered about it.

They do nothing but put quality shows on the field every year, and with the exception of 1 year, they do so without feeling the need to chatter throughout the whole thing like 90% of this forum detests so much. But it seems the Devils never get any respect let alone love from more than just a small handful of people.

So, I'm sorry that they don't wear green and do summersaults on the field

I'm sorry that they don't jazz run for 75% of their show and play lots of classical music

And I'm really sorry they don't write a spot into the show where the crowd screams "BLUE DEVILS"

But I'm not sorry that they're put an amazing show on the field this year, and people can't be ok with it.

:thumbup::blow::smile::blow::blow::smile::cry:

Can I get you some cheese for that whine? Two years where they're really good? Try about 34 years.

Yowza...

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

This is a subject that I, at one time, was intending to broach; however, the OP has beaten me to it. I agree with nearly everyone in this forum who stipulates that "success breeds contempt." During my years in the early 90s, we saw that with Star back then. But, when BD went through our "transformation" in 1994, and that success propelled us through the rest of the 90s, boy did it latch onto us. You could actually hear the murmuring in the stands both before and after the shows. Since we weren't really contenders prior to 1994, we didn't hear a lot of it. But after 1994, the criticism became an everlasting buzz in your ear.

That being said, the BD staff is wise enough to teach its kids to deal with such criticism as any other professional performer would...and they do. Just like others have said, "it's really the fans that get their undies in bind about this stuff, not the kids - they know better."

Now that I've gotten that out, I just wanted to mention one anecdote. I was at a theater viewing the Classic Countdown a couple years back, and the 1994 Blue Devils were one of the Corps that was being screened. Although, I had aged out nearly 10 years prior, I was still amazed at the continuous muttering and criticism that was being lashed at the screen. One would have thought that you were watching it in your house with a group of particularly nasty friends. It's a weird feeling to watch yourself on the screen while people are viciously criticizing your performance, design, look, etc.

Just weird...

For my part, I believe that BD has been blessed with the staff, guidance, and talent that has enabled them to be as successful as they have been for as long as they have been. If that is a basis for hate...so be it.

Why should it be the fault of Bd, Cadets, or the Cavs if nobody else puts the type of excellence they put on the field. Every corps has the same chance as another to win, shame on those 3 for working their butts off to perform at another level.

So you ask a question, I give you a possible answer, then you say it isn't valid? Whatever.

If you think people only get upset or angry when they have valid reasons you have a lot to learn.

Don't worry, I think Cavies have sucked royally since 2006. Its ashame that the real talent of their staff is gone now and they re-staffed with status quo.

OK - I think EVERYONE on DCP knows you don't like the Cavies. I'm just not sure we need to hear about it in every single thread you decide to post in. Your energy would be better channeled through the Carolina Crown love fest threads. You seem to have plenty of positive things to say about that corps.

Edited by BigSnareline