Why is it...?

Your point is well taken. I don't have the exposure as you do to the recruiting part, and it must certainly be true and something I didn't consider. Having said that, it is still the design of show that makes or breaks it in the top echelon. How about for one season the top 5 designers switch with the bottom 5, then we'll see if it's true. My guess is that we're both a little bit right!

Troopers are an example of top designers taking on the challenge of growing the program of a lower tier corps. I had a chance to be a fly on the wall a little bit this last week in Texas, and I'm excited about what I'm hearing. As others have said in other threads, if we can retain a high percentage of the kids, watch out. The corps has some tasks ahead of it, namely attract more mature talent at auditions and grow the guard to fit the bill. I have every reason to believe this will happen.

Honestly, there really is no way (for now) that every corps has the same shot at high placement. There is a formula for making it there, and it doesn't happen overnight. It's pretty simple, but it's not easy: increase maturity, capability, demand, exposure, emotional presence, physical training to handle the moves, etc. consistently over a span of years. Doing that requires extreme patience and fortitude, a design plan to improve placement each year, budget stability, consistent educational staff, committed administration.... I'm sure there's plenty more I'm forgetting. But the short of it is that the talent pool for a lower tier corps (i.e. Troopers) is not the same as the top few, so the premise of "every corps has a shot" is really too simplistic. BD's organization hosts two training corps, a winter guard, etc. And that didn't happen overnight. Kudos to them for having the vision and fortitude to grow such a stable and powerful organization!

Anyway, once you get to the top staying there is the obvious goal, but fans always wish for new blood in the top dog spots. I'm really enjoying seeing Crown try to stretch their wings in that direction. I still think Bluecoats are capable of doing the same thing over time. I also enjoy watching others stretching toward finals placement, and hopefully more corps will come into play in world class over time. (that's a whole other problem. Sigh.)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All righty. I was NOT going to chime in but, here goes. Look at the recaps. It isn't about working their butts off, is it? NO! Because if that were the case, the Regiment would be at the top of the heap. What you've got is BD "excelling" in the highly subjective "Opinion" captions. The Regiment's history has long been one of being slammed in these captions and this year appears to be no different. I predicted before the season stareted that the Regiment could possibly win both brass and percussion and still do no better that 3rd or 4th.

Personally, I didn't find BD musically enjoyable in the least. I couldn't find any real melodic value to their show and it is yet another case of BD getting credit for being BD, regardless of what they do. I'm trying not to slam the kids, my issue is with the design team, it doesn't work for me. But if you like it, cool!

BD is straight up Excelling.. No "excelling".

You hint that judging system wrongs one, and favors another, yet you say "personally".

Thats just your problem!

because Personally, I find a great deal of musical enjoyment out of Blue Devils.

And because the melody isnt one that you are familiar with, doesnt make it "non-melodic".

face it dude..

BD is getting credit because they desearve it and its pretty weak to come out here and suggest that they are getting favors.

You put that same show on the field with any other corps uniform and the result would be the same.

The half skirt things are pretty genius - fill the negative space and clean intervals. Or at least from what I saw in Dallas.

i just dont like BDs show... and the half skirt things....

I don't really see anyone out there that hates BD's show. Everyone I've talked to about the show, wether they like it or not, agrees it was very well performed and is one of the most GE packed shows from them....ever. Cadets, Cavaliers, and Phantom get a lot more #### on this forum than BD.

When you're good people find tons of reasons to not like you.

BD isn't special. They don't get any better or worse treatment. People still clapped when they played loud. I heard plenty of ooohs and ahhhs when they shook their shakos around. Everyone 'got it' when they stumbled and jogged around the field.

I personally don't like their shows. They just feel long, and I find myself wondering when the end is coming and thats the worst thing about their shows. Plus, there is plenty more season to go... things change.

I was at the show in San Antonio last night. The Blue Devils are doing what they always do. The Brass is absolutely amazing, but never play anything difficult unless the hornline is in a very tight form, moving slowly, or standing still. It is much more challenging to move and play at the same time. The same could be said of the Cavaliers. Almost all of the best visuals are done while the Pit is carrying the show musically. It is absolutely gorgeous, but not as challenging at what is being done by Crown, Cadets, Bluecoars or Vanguard. I hope that this is why Cavaliers were 4th in visuals, and that the judges will start rewarding playing and marching at the same time.

I don't really see anyone out there that hates BD's show. Everyone I've talked to about the show, wether they like it or not, agrees it was very well performed and is one of the most GE packed shows from them....ever. Cadets, Cavaliers, and Phantom get a lot more #### on this forum than BD.

When you're good people find tons of reasons to not like you.

BD isn't special. They don't get any better or worse treatment. People still clapped when they played loud. I heard plenty of ooohs and ahhhs when they shook their shakos around. Everyone 'got it' when they stumbled and jogged around the field.

I personally don't like their shows. They just feel long, and I find myself wondering when the end is coming and thats the worst thing about their shows. Plus, there is plenty more season to go... things change.

see?

Thats all people need to say! "I personally dont like thier show".

NOTHING Whatsoever wrong with that! He said it, he gave his reasons, without saying (OR implying) that there is a conspiracy theory that DCI wants them to win.

thanks for the thoughts bro...

Tony

I haven't seen much love for the Cavaliers on here either, but then I haven't seen an overpowering amount of ridicule either. I think it's true what a previous poster said about it being lonely at the top........envy can get ugly. All 20 of these corps, mine and yours included, get plenty of love from their supporters. Just because it it doesn't always show on DCP doesn't mean it isn't out there. Relax, and don't believe everything you read.