Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni in Chambersburg, PA

as always, like i said in my review, the Cabs alumni never lets me down

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What puzzled me was when they began standing when we started our drum feature after "Hill Where the Lord Hides." Then I realized -- they thought that was the closer like last year, and thought we were playing the corps off. Little did they know that it was the beginning of the featured drum solo and the color-pre/closer of "Cha-Cha Flamenco" was yet to come.

Maybe you couldn't hear it over the drums but the PA guy actaully announced the corps name after "Hill" was done. Most of the people around us thought the corps was done then wondered why they weren't leaving the field. :tongue: Rest of us knew that that "certain tune" (final "Rumps") hadn't been played yet.

So Andyroo is in the AF section now. Dang I looked in the wrong place for him as I checked the three banners as they marched by but no one looked familiar. Join the club Andy as I did Main Guard duty for some Westshoremen shows in the mid 80s.

Jm, so sorry that I didn't catch up with you and your wife at the show. It was a very well run event run by a good team.

I was hoping to see the Cab's play the corps onto the field for a retreat, but forgot that there was a time ordinance that precluded that happening, so I didn't get to catch up with John and Andy Roo, but I did have a chance to catch up with a few of my bud's like Dave Farren and George Headley. I caught up with Dave Faust looking very officious in uni while carrying flag with the AF section during the victory concert. Afterwards I wondered if uni #222 was still hanging on the rack. I did a Christmas parade with the corps, marching next to Liz Fretti. We looked like the lollipop kids in the tpt section......

I did have an opportunity to catch up with Fran and Barb and chat, which was special and uplifting.......nice (understated) shirt Fran.

Hope to catch up with you and the rest of the guys soon.

Joe

Maybe you couldn't hear it over the drums but the PA guy actaully announced the corps name after "Hill" was done. Most of the people around us thought the corps was done then wondered why they weren't leaving the field. :tongue: Rest of us knew that that "certain tune" (final "Rumps") hadn't been played yet.

So Andyroo is in the AF section now. Dang I looked in the wrong place for him as I checked the three banners as they marched by but no one looked familiar. Join the club Andy as I did Main Guard duty for some Westshoremen shows in the mid 80s.

Jm, so sorry that I didn't catch up with you and your wife at the show. It was a very well run event run by a good team.

Hope to catch up with you and the rest of the guys soon.

Joe

Yeah, we got there just before the gates opened and once we got into our easily reachable seats we stayed there. We left just before the Buccs encore as the outgoing crowd wasn't too bad at that time. Add in the fact that we were (handicapped section) parked a few steps from the center exit the only people I got to talk to was Jeff, Christine and Ruth G (aka boomboom).

I was looking for you and a few others but couldn't see too far. Well there's always Ro-cha-cha.....

LOL, more people probably saw our car than us (blue Saturn with "Lancers" bumper sticker). :tongue:

"Maybe you couldn't hear it over the drums but the PA guy actually announced the corps name after "Hill" was done. Most of the people around us thought the corps was done then wondered why they weren't leaving the field. Rest of us knew that that "certain tune" (final "Rumps") hadn't been played yet."

So THAT'S what happened! You're right, we couldn't hear anything being announced while we were playing. I was surprised to see all these folks standing and applauding and thinking, "We haven't even gotten to the good part of the solo yet!" We're accustomed to them standing at the end of it, not at the start.

Also -- Thank you, Jeff Ream for the kind words once again. You always include us in your DCA show reviews, and you also never let US down!

And speaking of the PA guy... I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but he announced the corps at least several times as "The Cavaliers Alumni."

I heard it at least once during our introduction; during the aforementioned drum solo; and at least once as we were leaving the field.

Now... If we change the shirts to green; take away the bellbottoms; and staple one side of the sombrero up... Who knows.

And speaking of the PA guy... I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but he announced the corps at least several times as "The Cavaliers Alumni."

I heard it at least once during our introduction; during the aforementioned drum solo; and at least once as we were leaving the field.

Now... If we change the shirts to green; take away the bellbottoms; and staple one side of the sombrero up... Who knows.

We would also need a 16 man snare line, because that's what they have. I saw the Cavaliers 60th Anniversary Corps earlier in the year. They are also wearing the black w/ white trim shakos from the '60's, but no shiny belt buckle, which made the uniform incomplete, IMHO. They played "Bully" for their opening number, but NOBODY played it like the Caballeros; not even close. Trust me. And that is my last drum corps wish before I die; to play "Bully" with the Caballeros. Mr. "K" are you taking orders??? PLEAASE!!!!!!! :smile:

I wish every DCI member could see a Cabs Alumni show & see what drum corps was and what entertainment can be. Thank's for all your hard work, Cabs Alumni. There are some pretty good You Tube videos posted of the Cabs show in Chambersburg.

as always, like i said in my review, the Cabs alumni never lets me down

I found out again at the Serenade in Brass last Spring that "Flamenco Cha Cha and "Beyond the Sea" still give me chills.

Donnie

[And speaking of the PA guy... I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but he announced the corps at least several times as "The Cavaliers Alumni."

The first two or three years of the Buccaneers existence we often were introduced as the "West Reading Buccaneers" :tongue:

It took a few years for all the show announcers to realize tht we were NOT the West Reading Police Cadets reincarnated.

Donnie