UMass Instructors

I am still wondering why Hannum is not teaching?

Maybe he likes his summers free, like many educators.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wasn't Hannum linked to Madison this past summer? I remember seeing him with them at Allentown

Wow, that is a HUGE name in the marching band and "drum majoring" community. Rest In Peace Mr. Parks. :tongue:

I realize that this is an old thread, but seems an appropriate place for this sad update:

http://mobile.masslive.com/advmasslive/pm_...ntguid=vx6DC2F9

George N. Parks, UMass band director, dies after performance in Ohio

The Republican Newsroom

Posted: 09/17/2010 2:59 AM

George N. Parks, for 33 years the director of the University of Massachusetts Amherst Minuteman Marching Band, died suddenly Thursday at age 57 while traveling with the band in Ohio.

Parks and the 350-member band were staying overnight in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, en route to Ann Arbor, Mich., where the University football team was scheduled to play the University of Michigan on Saturday.

Band members reported that Parks died following a band performance Thursday night.

Besides serving as director of the band known as The Power and Class of New England, Parks was professor of music at UMass. He received the university's Distinguished Teacher Award and the Chancellor's Medal for Distinguished Service. He was named an Honorary Alumnus of the University of Massachusetts.

After serving as drum major for the West Chester University Golden Rams Marching Band, graduating from West Chester University, and receiving his graduate degree from Northwestern University in tuba performance, Parks became director of the University of Massachusetts band in 1977 at the age of 24.

A tireless fund-raiser, Parks was the driving force behind the $5.7 million Minuteman Marching Band Building, currently under construction.

Under Parks, the band became one of only 27 collegiate marching bands nationally to receive the Sudler Trophy given by the John Philip Sousa Foundation.

I was in the 2006 edition of his Drum Major Academy in Ohio. Loved every minute of it, and he was the biggest part of it. He's one of the few people that helped me get out of my shell back then...

On another note I really hope we are able to see the halftime show somehow, I'm sure that performance will be something incredibly special.

:angel1:

http://www.examiner.com/college-football-i...ut-george-parks

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

The drum major camps I went to in high school were based on the George N Parks system. I heard a lot of amazing stories about the man. Very sad to hear about his passing.

In addition to his incredible work at UMass and with the Drum Major Academy, George was, and remains, a drum corps icon.

He was with the Reading Buccaneers from 1975 to 1987 and his prowess as a drum major, instructor, performer and leader are legendary. We will miss him terribly and count ourselves as among the very fortunate to have called him our mentor, leader, fellow Buccaneer and, above all else, our friend.

He had a positive impact on the lives of thousands of men and women and the world is a poorer place today.

RIP, George Parks!

In addition to his incredible work at UMass and with the Drum Major Academy, George was, and remains, a drum corps icon.

He was with the Reading Buccaneers from 1975 to 1987 and his prowess as a drum major, instructor, performer and leader are legendary. We will miss him terribly and count ourselves as among the very fortunate to have called him our mentor, leader, fellow Buccaneer and, above all else, our friend.

He had a positive impact on the lives of thousands of men and women and the world is a poorer place today.

RIP, George Parks!

True. He was the Drum Major for the Reading Buccaneers Drum and Bugle Corps that was a DCA Titleist....and he was an OUTSTANDING Drum Major at that. I can still picture the large military style mace he utilized so well on the field as DM back in the late 70's with the Bucs. He was one of those pioneers that brought the Drum Corps style to the college band world, and that influence can not be understated,nor forgotten. His Umass Minuteman College Band was elevated nationally under his direction, and many Umass marchers first got introduced to Drum Corps thru him. He will be missed......RIP George Parks.