Regrets... I have a few

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1993, my should have been age-out year, After waiting 2 months for the next winter camp with LE FINALLY getting a phone call from a buddy saying we were folding. Although a phone call from the current director would have been nice letting me know of the situation a month earlier,I should have went to the next Star camp to find a hole anywhere. Also was asked to go join the Colts that winter. Man, after watching the dvd that is my favorite top 12 show of that summer.

I was going to march Bluecoats in '85 (the year before I actually did), but decided not to because I had a girlfriend that I didn't want to leave. Biggest mistake of my life.

Not marching. I saw my first show in 1985 and fell in love instantly. At the time I thought I wasn't good enough to try out for a corps so I let my eligible years slip by. Now there is NOT A DAY that I don't regret it.

AMEN. Saw my first show in 1992 and fell in love instantly. Thought I wasn't good enough and didn't try out for a few years. Was finally convinced to try out for the Freelancers in 1995; they folded about ten days before my tryout date. Continued thinking I wasn't good enough for a few more years. Decided to give it one last go and try out for the Blue Devils my age-out year (1998). Was well-prepared musically; had no idea what I was getting into visually. A kind visual tech from Live Oak HS took me aside very early into the January 1998 Blue Devils camp and expressed... concern. Heh. Looking back, I'm simply glad he was able to keep a straight face. There are ducks with club feet that can march better than I can.

I do not regret trying out and making a laughable ### out of myself. I do regret not having a better understanding of what I was getting myself into--it might not have been enough either way, but I would have prepared a lot harder.

Edited by hostrauser

AMEN. Saw my first show in 1992 and fell in love instantly. Thought I wasn't good enough and didn't try out for a few years. Was finally convinced to try out for the Freelancers in 1995; they folded about ten days before my tryout date. Continued thinking I wasn't good enough for a few more years. Decided to give it one last go and try out for the Blue Devils my age-out year (1998). Was well-prepared musically; had no idea what I was getting into visually. A kind visual tech from Live Oak HS took me aside very early into the January 1998 Blue Devils camp and expressed... concern. Heh. Looking back, I'm simply glad he was able to keep a straight face. There are ducks with club feet that can march better than I can.

I do not regret trying out and making a laughable ### out of myself. I do regret not having a better understanding of what I was getting myself into--it might not have been enough either way, but I would have prepared a lot harder.

Great story--I had no idea.

Little does he know...at age 42...I STILL look at myself in the mirror and think....WTF WERE YOU THINKING?!?!?!?

Yeah...Drum Corps DEFINITELY teaches life lessons along the way, don't it???

Ouch bro! :unsure:

I had filled out corps applications from all my favorite corps in Montreal in '81 so that I could get their mailings. Rick South called me in '83 and had a contra spot. I turned him down because I was in THE COLTS. Pretty much the same response from Rick that you had from Gordon. I was really into Colts and the midwest thing at the time. Santa Clara had the famous Dave Beck and Bob Higgins from Ohio in the corps that year, so I could have been the third contra from Ohio, which might have been some sort of odd record, not sure.

Leaving Regiment in '84, well that one I always wondered about. They have treated me so good, Dr. Dan, Dan Farrell, Big Bob Nunez, Brian Dufour, et al over the years, but I just wasn't having fun and was an alternate anyway. Then they left me at a drill camp and I had no ride from Lousiana and that ended that childhood dream, but started a new one.

VK and the So. Cal thing came up. You know the rest of the story. That year turned out to be my favorite year of marching, although aging out finally in Santa Clara was priceless.

Do I regret not staying in California, oh h#ll yes. Almost every waking day. Scott Pierson even had a spot for me at SJSU, but it would take another year of school to graduate. But I have done very well and am very happy in the groups I teach and play in now, especially my beloved Bridgemen, who all have been so very good to me. I really love the corps and maybe that's why my section "tolerates" me! I know I get on their nerves--the CBA drives me nuts every time I see them too, but the level of music that :devil: Brian is getting out of us in incredible.

And it is pretty cool to have Dennis Delucia, Larry Kerchner teaching you and Jimmy Jordan calling you to attention.

vkbignoise.jpg

I regret that I never knew about the existence of drum corps until I was way over age-out. If I had known, I think my life may have been very different... I could see myself having made a career out of it perhaps. I've still never marched but if gas prices come down I may audition for Kilties this fall...