I am working my way through the Legacy DVD's and have reached 1990. Now I could be way off the mark here and welcome comments, but following 1989 and what I have seen of 1991, 1990 seems soewhat flat. With possibly the exception of one or two corps, there appears to be an overall lack of direction and the corps seem to be going through the motions rather than trying to get the crowd going.

Does anyone else feel this?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am working my way through the Legacy DVD's and have reached 1990. Now I could be way off the mark here and welcome comments, but following 1989 and what I have seen of 1991, 1990 seems soewhat flat. With possibly the exception of one or two corps, there appears to be an overall lack of direction and the corps seem to be going through the motions rather than trying to get the crowd going.

Does anyone else feel this?

That was my first year marching. I have always felt 1990 was a little dull, overall. But I just assumed that's because my eyes were opened to the true "behind the curtain". I just figured I was a bit jaded. But I will say this. The bottom half of the top 12 was were the entertainment was. With the exception of Madison (sorry folks). 7 through 12 is a great listen.

I disagree - I think 1990 (along with 1992 and 1995) has one of the deepest, and most engaging Finals fields DCI has ever had. The top 7 all had their usual great shows and even Crossmen and Bluecoats put on true high-caliber Finalist shows - to me much more solid offerings than 1989. The only show I don't care for in the entire bunch is Spirit's, and I think that's more of a function of my taste than of the actual show.

1991, as a whole, showed a tremendous step up in sophistication, to be sure, but I think it lost some of the "fun" factor that 1990 had.

Mike

1991, as a whole, showed a tremendous step up in sophistication, to be sure, but I think it lost some of the "fun" factor that 1990 had.

Mike

I don't sense the fun you mention, even VK seem to be on auto-pilot. As for the sophistication, you may be right, after all we all perceive things differently. 1990 just does'nt do anything for me. maybe when i'm done I'll have another look but at this time i don't think i can stand BD doing 'Tommy' ! :laughing:

No way is 1990 a down year, IMO. Loved Garfield's return to a Bernstein musical book; loved Cavies' program to John Rutter's music; Star of Indiana not my favorite, but still good; loved Blue Devils' rendition of "Tommy" (just coming at jazz from a different direction); (edit: I was getting this year confused with another) love this Phantom show and actually could have seen them placing higher; enjoyed Santa Clara's interpretation of "Carmen"; liked Crossmen and Bluecoats equally, and for about the same reasons; not one of my favorite Madison shows, but I remember liking them; for some reason, I'm not remembering this VK show; enjoyed Spirit of Atlanta's take on "The Color Purple"; and was thrilled to see a Canadian corps -- Dutchboy -- finally in finals again.

No, not a down year at all, IMO! :tongue:

Edited by byline

Although 1990 may have been a down year for a number of corps, this was not the case for an entire nation...CANADA !!!

For the first time since 1977, CANADA had a corps in the finals. DUTCH BOY !!!!!! :tongue:

What a thrill that was seeing Dutch Boy ALUMNI from every decade since 1969 stand up and applaud a great job ! :tongue::tongue::tongue:

This still brings tears :cry: to my eyes. :tongue:

The only show I don't care for in the entire bunch is Spirit's, and I think that's more of a function of my taste than of the actual show.

Not my favorite Spirit show, but still a good one. Got to love that first hit of Tara's Theme.

1990 has its place....a lot of good shows and filling the epitome of this activity:

Cadets doing Bernstein...Classic.

Crossmen, enjoying their 2nd year back in the top 12 after most of the 80's being out. Very cool show, not as good as 91, but still a jiving and groovy show.

Star of Indiana...OMG! incredible show...innovative, beautiful...perhaps the most difficult thing on the field that summer.

SCV doing Carmen....great arrangements, fun show, fit well within the SCV scheme (not as good as 91's, but still on track)

Cavaliers reviving bits of Gloria, more refined, better execution, better visual (brubaker?), better drumming, hornline still playing half and whole notes, but whatever, they did it well.

VK doing the "hollywood" show, but really honoring DCI (music inspired by many corps like Bridgemen, SCV, Blue Devils, Cavies, 27, etc.) Fun show.

Okay, Blue Devils was a bit dissapointing (really square and flat approach to the music - not their best)...but hey...it was a hell of a lot better show than 89...Spirit of Atlanta's Scott Chandler arrived on the scene and turned the guard around. Unfortunately it was Tom Float's last year, but the drumline certainly earned their keep, one of the most interesting drum solos.

true, 1991 was a better year overall, but 89? no way...1989 was pretty flat...1988 was phenominal.

Edited by Chat_Capone

To add: 1990 saw the first legitimate time that the top six really had a shot of placing anywhere frm 1st to 6th, you had Phantom and Blue Devils , undefeated in June get beat by Cavaliers, you had Star beat Cadets early on. Star lost to SCV the last week before finals and Scouts went up and down all season.

After Crossmen returned to finals, they made a major step up and along with Bluecoats, battled Scouts for the middle of the pack, VK rebounded from 89, Spirit was on the way back, and Freelancers, Blue Knights, Boston (and all that Lame') Dutch boy - all battling for a finalist spot. There was depth in the field, something that is lacking today and prelims were as exciting as finals.

Blue Devils doing "tommy" was actually intriguing, the brass was just amazing as was the execution of their drill. Guard returning to form and capturing the title, some say earning is with their flawless quarters performance. To have Blue Devils and Phantom tied for fourth and SCV all the way in 6th, with a show like that, it truly was amazing how good everyone was that year.

Star of Indiana became the legitimate threat and really could have won it all. But in the end performance and intensity is waht gave Cadets their deserved title. What a show. 1990, a great year.

Geoffrey

I loved 1990. I really enjoyed all of the shows in the top 12.

I don't know what problems people may have with Spirit's show, but where they came from earlier in the summer to put that show on the field Saturday night at Finals was amazing work. I liked the show when I saw it early, but when I saw them at DCI South later in the year with the Tara's Theme reprise it really moved me. Of course, Spirit has rarely put on a show that I did not fully enjoy over the years.

VK was great that year. 1992 may have been their ultimate show, but 1990 is my favorite from them. I still feel like they hit their peak musically that summer and it stands up against the test of time for me (gimmicks/jokes were not tied to anything contemporary, as I recall, but rather on things that endure).

I REALLY liked Phantom that summer. Great show with some great selections.

Belshazzar's Feast by Star of Indiana is my all-time most favorite drum corps show. This was the year where Star really made their move. I love the intensity of the music and the way the drill sells the music so well. Over the past few years I have found myself thinking that the music was written to sell drill these days, instead of drill written to sell the music. I would rather see a bunch of shows that were more like Star 1990 than Star 1993 (not that 1993 was a bad show, mind you).

Edited by Tekneek