The Official "Cadets 2008" Thread . . .

I said this on another message string, but I still feel Cadets have something to show in finals. The drill they have is insane. And only 1.6 out of 1st? Whew. We have a great finals brewing.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's more funny is that he comes from a corps whose fans and fmm's gripe more about scores than any other corps out there.

Dont bother...its clear he comes from a place that doesnt know what its like to win a title. Sad because I truly respect where he does come from and especially his years

But Im losing it fast.

I said this on another message string, but I still feel Cadets have something to show in finals. The drill they have is insane. And only 1.6 out of 1st? Whew. We have a great finals brewing.

Yes, you've made some very kind comments about the Cadets. And I love the comments about your little boy. Five year olds are so much fun, aren't they? I loved the description of you and your son discussing scores. I remember having conversations like that. Priceless. You will enjoy the memories of these days.

Finals sounds like it is going to be awesome. I think the crowd is really going to be psyched this year, as well as the performers. I think we are going to be treated to some really great performances, and much fun and merriment will be had by all. :smile:

My favorite musical moments from the Cadets are dissapearing due to rewrites. NO!!!! The opening power chord was one of the best of the season. What happened?

Dont bother...its clear he comes from a place that doesnt know what its like to win a title. Sad because I truly respect where he does come from and especially his years

But Im losing it fast.

Ok Im going to say im sorry for my last post ....I got so worked up with the comment ( How DCP of me..lol ) I just didnt think the comments were fair at all. BUT no reason to lose it..so to Mad Scotty Im sorry and especially to your alumni who I totally respect.

If you get a chance, you might like the latest Cadets Fan Network video. It's free. It's a run-through of the show filmed from the back sideline. It's a pretty cool view of what it's like down on the field. You get a pretty good look at the percussion, the guard, and the low brass, that you don't normally get to see up that close. Percussion fans should enjoy it, to be sure. Bass fans will like the ending. Had to turn down my subwoofer - the speakers almost rattled off the desk. You guys that have marched - I'll bet when you watch that you can smell the grass and feel the night air.

i'm sure the kids do want the extra rehearsal time. they are at a stage in their lives when they are very prone to being ultra gung ho and make decisions based more on trying to prove themselves than on whats in their best interest. thats why in world war two the army used 17-19 year old soldiers as shock troops in amphibious landings, and followed up with older soldiers. thats why frat houses are full of kids drinking themselves into a coma to prove how much they can handle. thats why when i was that age i was out killing myself to run more laps, do more pushups, drink more drinks, inhale more drugs, stay up more hours, heck, i even marched drum corps!! i made a lot of decisions, some bad, some good, but i was constantly pushing myself, trying to prove myself to myself and to others. but these were decisions i made for myself as a teenager and young adult, and they are certainly not all the sorts of decisions i would make on behalf of a group of teenagers whose well being i was responsible for for a summer. there's a pretty big difference between being 19 and willing to take on exhaustion and heatstroke just to prove you're as strong and worthy as the vets standing on the line next you and being 40 and pushing a bunch of kids to do it so you can pull off a little more in your show and get ego points at the winter staff meetings. it's about maturity, and putting others needs ahead of yours, and being willing to tell someone to rein it in a little before they hurt themselves or someone else by being more enthusiastic than smart. these are lessons most people grow up and learn, unfortunately, not all of them are practiced in the insular world of drum corps.

Years I marched with The Cadets: 2

Members who had a heatstroke: 0

It's too bad that you are generalizing your own failures onto a corps full of outstanding people. They deserve better than that.

My favorite musical moments from the Cadets are dissapearing due to rewrites. NO!!!! The opening power chord was one of the best of the season. What happened?

I miss that one too.