Stereotypes and gender issues in Drum Corps

I think that is pretty much true and has been for ages, significantly predating the general softening of hostility in overall society that has taken place in the last 10 years (which is great). That being said, I'm curious if anyone was ever told "don't let me find out that you're gay." As a staff member, I did experience that. Not fun.

I have heard of a Top 12 corps in which that happened. I didn't march in that corps, only heard about this secondhand long after the fact, but this corps had a well-respected, incredibly talented design staff, some of whom were homosexuals. This corps being considered a "family-oriented corps" (as if homosexuals don't have families), my understanding is that those individuals were ultimately asked to leave because of their sexual orientation. Other corps ended up being the beneficiaries of these individuals' talents and made names for themselves in visual design, but I still find it a sad commentary on society's double-standard toward sexual orientation. It was as if, as long as the corps' powers-that-be didn't know about these individuals' sexual orientation, they were welcomed as staff members. But when that sexual orientation became public knowledge, suddenly they weren't. Nothing in their talents or abilities had changed, just knowledge of their private lives.

It's one thing if an individual is known to be harming others through his or her behaviors. Of course that's not something anyone should condone, especially in an organization organized around the participation of young people. But when we're talking about a private, loving relationship between two mutually consenting adults, then IMO that should be no one's business but those individuals. Regardless of sexual orientation.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here's where I view the "choice" issue. I don't know if "being gay" is really a choice or not.

But being ACCEPTING of yourself, or not, certainly is.

And imo, there's no question as to what the "choice" ought to be.

Ok, what I've never understood about the "choice" argument is that the people making the argument have never been in a position of having to make this supposed choice themselves.

So, how can one be so sure of that?

If a straight guy has the hots for Suzanne, is there a choice about whether or not to have the hots for Suzanne? If so, what's the alternative? "Choose" to not be attracted and sit in a darkened room alone instead?

I don't get it.

It is interesting to see how the younger generations now don't think about this stuff nearly as much anymore. Lots more acceptance for orientation, race, etc, and they find diversity to be comfortable and ordinary. They're puzzled when older people raise a stink about it.

:troll food:

As I tried to say in post #23, if you wish to dodge debate, it would help if people do not make thier view become the obvious wording. To some, the phrases some might call PC provoke those with other opinions. Just saying...

As I stated in post #25: the nice thing about the word 'orientation' is that it applies no matter which side of the fence you are on. The term 'orientation' allows us all to discuss homosexuality in drum corps without having to address nature/nuture issue or whatever you happen to believe in. If you think about it, it's really a pretty neutral term. Actually, continued use of the outdated and loaded term "sexual preference" could more easily be construed as provokation and 'baiting'. Homosexuality is fact of life in the drum corps community. I don't know why that even merits extended discussion, but if we are going to talk about it we might as well do it respectfully and apolitically - both here and in the stands. Thanks.

SO... DRUMPCORPS!

:laughing:

Um, no actual experience in corps, but my band/other extracurricular trips always had measures put in place to try to stop such things. And most students always found ways to do whatever they wanted in the end. If you can't rout highschool students from their efforts, what are your chances of doing that with college age kids? =P it seems like a waste of time and effort for corps that have bigger things to worry about. I'm sure the people who march are mature and strong-willed enough to police themselves so that nothing is outrageous or out of hand, otherwise they wouldn't be spending their summer concentrating 16 hours a day on one activity.

I just got off the phone with the son of my parent friend from doing food truck on tour. He is open and out and wanted me to read him some of the highlights from this thread. He wanted me to share that every violation of corps policy on PDAs and such comes from the straight members. I think this goes to show you that most of the gay kids on tour are trying to follow the rules and not rock the boat.

They seem to know they represent a minority group and want to be good examples. This is my theory, not his.

Also this proves that Gays are perfect beings and never make mistakes. :laughing:

I just got off the phone with the son of my parent friend from doing food truck on tour. He is open and out and wanted me to read him some of the highlights from this thread. He wanted me to share that every violation of corps policy on PDAs and such comes from the straight members. I think this goes to show you that most of the gay kids on tour are trying to follow the rules and not rock the boat.

They seem to know they represent a minority group and want to be good examples. This is my theory, not his.

Also this proves that Gays are perfect beings and never make mistakes. :laughing:

:worthy:

That's not very different from the "real" world....problems aren't generally caused by gays....it's by straights who can't handle the idea of people of the same gender having feelings for each other....

Oh boy. This whole conversation just frosts me.

What business is it of anyone's who is gay/straight/bi/druid/ambidextrous. Yes, I know they aren't all related.

What I'm saying is that if they play/march good enough to be in a corps then they can be in a corps. When I joined many many moons ago there was no questionnaire about what my favorite positions were, whether I preferred black or white or asian etc etc etc. It was about whether I could hold up my horn, play it and march my spot. This is all it should be about.

25 years after I marched I finally learned who was/wasn't gay when I marched. It didn't matter then and it doesn't now. It shouldn't. How people choose to live their private lives is no one else's business.

Ok, what I've never understood about the "choice" argument is that the people making the argument have never been in a position of having to make this supposed choice themselves.

So, how can one be so sure of that?

If a straight guy has the hots for Suzanne, is there a choice about whether or not to have the hots for Suzanne? If so, what's the alternative? "Choose" to not be attracted and sit in a darkened room alone instead?

Not necessarily "choose" to be attracted to somebody, but rather choosing how you act on that impulse of attraction. You can choose to pursue it, or not.

Well here's where I view the "choice" issue. I don't know if "being gay" is really a choice or not.

But being ACCEPTING of yourself, or not, certainly is.

And imo, there's no question as to what the "choice" ought to be.

You would have to clarify what you mean because I am frankly lost.

Feel free to PM me for clarification to keep this topic on track.