Which SCV's Bottle Dance was the best?

1992 VK....it was SCV's....on loan. :thumbup:

How about 95.....to the tune of the Imperial March with the VK guard in Darth Vader helmets!!

But yeah......82 for crowd response (never mind the tear.....it was all good)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll just say '79 because of the surprise element (and also I played a part in Royer's grand scheme). '78 is a close second because they won DCI with it. Ray, they did the Bottle Dance in '70? I thought they ended with "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

1979 ! I was shooting for DCW and standing right next to Mr. Royer on the field. I started firing away when I saw the bottle dance, then it clicked, "You're standing next to Gail Royer ! Get his reaction !" It was priceless ! I only wish I still had all those images. If you remember back in the days of B&W film, we sometimes "rolled our own." I was lucky, the roll in my camera had about 45 frames on it, instead of the standard 36ish. "Rolling your own" also brought a different meaning that week. A fellow photojournalist, who shall remain nameless, climbed to the top, back corner of Legion Field and proceeded to enjoy a bit of "herb", and then shot the coolest shot of the backside of the stadium. But, I digress.....

Edited by Old School Contra Guy

This ONE! (see below) :thumbup:

'02. The Clowns that followed that made the whole evening.

My favorite was 1982 :thumbup:
nice one D :thumbup:

I was the last guy on the #1 side and a guy in front of me was jumping up in the first row of the stands and fell over the rail, landed on his back, got up and kept jumping

It was great EARLY in the '92 season, when the guard still wore the old-style white ankle boots. Unfortunately many of the early season "extras" were gone by the time DCI finals came along.

I visited with SCV founder/director Gail Royer for about 45 minutes in the end zone of the contest in Mankato, MN that year. He told me the judges were brutal on what SCV was trying to do early in the season, thus many changes were implemented, and many early-season props/costumes etc. were dropped.

Unfortunately, Gail would be dead less than a year later.

That was a really odd experience, following that show around all tour long. The simple differences between the shows at the beginning of the Cali tour and the end were one thing, but the permutations it went through once we all left California were more amazing yet.

The show they put on the field at Clovis and the show they put on at Madison were vastly different beasts.

I'll just say '79 because of the surprise element (and also I played a part in Royer's grand scheme). '78 is a close second because they won DCI with it.

Kevin:

So, are you saying the wouldn't have won without it in '78? Hmmmmmm. Very, gimicky! You had to know I was gonna "bust your chops" on that one! :thumbup:

Take care my friend, hope to be able to attend the festivities on the 10th, but that's just a CRAZY weekend all around.