If DCI weren't judged

After reading a bunch of sniping at each other type threads, it got me wondering. If DCI didn't judge the shows, and they were all just for fun, do you think the bickering would stop between alot of people here on the message boards? It just seems like alot of the arguing is a result more of scores than actual shows.

Would you enjoy attending a show any less if it weren't going to be scored, or if scores were never announced?

In all the years I have attended drum corps shows, I have probably enjoyed 99.9% of all the shows I have seen. Yes, there are shows I have liked alot better than others. But almost every single show, there is something about it I really enjoy. I am guessing I have roughly seen approximately 1500 individual drum corps performances. Of those, there were roughly 5 shows that I didn't like.

So when you are at a show, and you see Madison Scouts perform and love their show, if the judges score them at a 59.7, does that make you not like the show any less?

It just seems to me that when the scoring aspect comes into play, people tend to enjoy other shows less, or try to find ways to pick at other corps.

For example, take the Colts. I think that is an awesome show this year. They could place 15th this year, but that doesn't mean I will enjoy their show any less. They could place 11th or 12th as well. That doesn't mean I enjoy their show any more. Looking at scores, it could be said their weakness is their drumline. Their drum score may say they placed 17th, but at the end of the show at quarterfinals, I have never really thought to myself, wow that was a great show, but I think their drumline was only the 17th best of the year.

I think some of the biggest sniping goes on between Cavaliers and Phantom. Phantom people are always complaining that Cavies don't march and play at the same time. Phantom people complain because Cavaliers brassline isn't all that loud. Cavaliers fans may complain of Phantom and their less than stellar drill. But to me these issues all come down to judging and scores.

Some people have actually timed park and blows. Some people have actually time the amount of time a corps doesn't play and march at the same time. Some people actually count drops from the colorguard. All to prove a point of which corps should be placing where. So instead of watching 5 drum corps performances just to enjoy them, they are taking 55 minutes to not enjoy the performances and focus on the negatives.

If the audience weren't aware of the scores, I honestly think more people would enjoy more of the shows. Instead of looking for something to complain about their nearest competitor, they could spend that time actually watching, listening to, and enjoying all the corps shows. But people spend so much time looking for reasons that their corps should be winning/placing better etc than THAT corps, that I really think they miss so many of the good things.

I don't think they should stop judging these shows, but I just think overall more people in the audience would enjoy the shows more if they weren't aware of the scorings/placements.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it really seem as though people are biting others heads off this year more than others? To me people are just being passionate about what they love. For the record I think some may have more tact than others in this regard, but typing on a computer at times also leads to misleading comments. Anyway I do not think that bickering would stop because the fact of the matter is what works for one does not always work for others for entertainment. So even if you were writing a review about the shear entertainment value of each corps and their performance there would be differences. Do we all come on this board to see agreements? That dos not mean I want to argue, but the disagreements sometimes are fun because you see a different viewpoint!

Wes Perkins

first off, there'd be a large fan drop off. No scores...no placements...no glory for winning, or getting "better"

secondly, there'd be more opportunity for drum corps to get even farther away from "traditional" drum corps. If there is no score, why not throw in a sax quartet, or an electric guitar, or Roland synth, etc.

Thirdly...after the second took affect, there'd be another huge fan drop off.

Oh this is just too weird!! I posed this question to my husband just tonight during our evening constitutional (hey, we're old).

To answer the OP's question:

Only if Mom's ruled the world! (Everyone else seems to be h*ll bent on winning at all costs) Me, not so much - I would continue to go to shows and support the activity if there was no competitive element.

Now, that ain't ever gonna happen but the Mom in me wishes it could.

( Pay no never-mind to the threatening dude below with the sword...I have no idea where that came from. :thumbup: )

Are you kidding??? The only thing that keeps me from arguing that the Scouts are better than the Blue Devils is that the scores would make me look like a fool!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oh this is just too weird!! I posed this question to my husband just tonight during our evening constitutional (hey, we're old).

To answer the OP's question:

Only if Mom's ruled the world! (Everyone else seems to be h*ll bent on winning at all costs) Me, not so much - I would continue to go to shows and support the activity if there was no competitive element.

Now, that ain't ever gonna happen but the Mom in me wishes it could.

( Pay no never-mind to the threatening dude below with the sword...I have no idea where that came from. :thumbup: )

Even though I'm not a phan, I don't mind the sword dude. But he can't do that to INT! :thumbup:

secondly, there'd be more opportunity for drum corps to get even farther away from "traditional" drum corps. If there is no score, why not throw in a sax quartet, or an electric guitar, or Roland synth, etc.

Why are you so certain that a non-judged format would automatically lead do the legalization of sax quartets, guitars and other "non-traditional" changes? Mind you, I'm not coming out in support of the non-competitive concept. Just wondering what the connection is, as you see it.

Fred O.

"... would some of the bitterness stop."so_crazy_071.gif

Hmm. I doubt it. But speaking for ME only here... I'm not "bitter" about scoring... I just want it to be consistent and more clear cut. I'm curious why a "judges" scoring is more valid than say... a whole grandstand full of people... if it's all based on "critical" or "complimentary" judging criteria. I know that the purists here will say: "because the judges are judging the finite and definitive complexity of what the corps is doing." And the critics here will say: "the show wasn't performed better than so and so corps because i heard clear cut fracks and execution problems, and I didn't hear them with..."

If a corps is doing these complex amazing things in their show that the average spectator will never comprehend, then the "entertainment" value is lost, and we may as well have a division for "Most amazingly difficult and mind-blowing complexity" shows that the average fans will more than likely take a pass on, and only the extreme techies will all attend and all be impressed with...

and a division that's more "Amazingly crowd pleasing and guaranteed to cause baby throwing and huge reactions from the crowds" ... which the rest of the fans will attend.

A reasonable mix of both, with judging that judges with more than composition and interpretation, but also has a strong emphasis on entertainment appeal and specific error accountability. (If you want to call that last one "tic" system judging, go ahead...)

twocents.gif

Why are you so certain that a non-judged format would automatically lead do the legalization of sax quartets, guitars and other "non-traditional" changes? Mind you, I'm not coming out in support of the non-competitive concept. Just wondering what the connection is, as you see it.

Fred O.

if there's no judging...where's the penalty for using a woodwind? What are they gonna do? Throw them out of the program?