Great Read on G vs Bb

Mello Dude

Nalls would give a better answer, but I believe the sop line is all on Kanstul Powerbores...I don;t think they have a single Bb in the line.

The Renegades all play on Kanstul G Bugles. We purchased the horns from the Blue Knights when they went to Bb. There are members that own their own horns, but they own Kanstuls. Sops are on Powerbores.

When we use Frenchies, we use a set of Kings that were donated by the Blue Devils. These horns were used from 1979 - the mid 80s, then put in storage. We have five of them.

We have had soloists on trumpet. Larrie Dastrup played a Wild Thing and a Miraphone Flugel, Roland Garceau played a Yamaha Xeno, and I am not sure what type of trumpet our current soloist (Greg Potter) is playing on.

To be honest, I am torn - we are planning to buy new horns in 2010, and I am not sure whether to get a new set of Gs or make the switch. Any input?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Renegades all play on Kanstul G Bugles. We purchased the horns from the Blue Knights when they went to Bb. There are members that own their own horns, but they own Kanstuls. Sops are on Powerbores.

When we use Frenchies, we use a set of Kings that were donated by the Blue Devils. These horns were used from 1979 - the mid 80s, then put in storage. We have five of them.

We have had soloists on trumpet. Larrie Dastrup played a Wild Thing and a Miraphone Flugel, Roland Garceau played a Yamaha Xeno, and I am not sure what type of trumpet our current soloist (Greg Potter) is playing on.

To be honest, I am torn - we are planning to buy new horns in 2010, and I am not sure whether to get a new set of Gs or make the switch. Any input?

Everyone says Bb is better in every way than G. So, conventional wisdom would say, switch to Bb.

However, if you want to be a renegade....

Heh....did you go looking for the one you played on???

Wow.....toughie. Bb is easier to tune, and Cadets showed how freaking loud they can be last year.

On one hand, regardless of key, it's still drum corps...if you took someone who'd never heard one before and played him the audio from 2002 and 2003 Regiment, he wouldn't be able to tell you which was G and which Bb.

On the other, Renegades going Bb would seem to be a large nail in the coffin of the G bugle. Perhaps its time has passed......but in truth, I'd rather see you guys in G.

Regardless, when you make the switch, you'll have no prob selling the old gear off....gives me something to shoot for financially!

Please stick with G.Please :tongue:

"However, no band can match (or better) the

thrilling signature sound and power of a DCI hornline."

Huh? What possible difference could it make which particular association a unit would pay dues to as it correlates to its sound and/or power? At any rate, in my experience the most powerful and thrilling sounds are produced by the so-called alumni corps which really aren't all alumni at all and which are totally unaffiliated with DCI, DCA or anyone else.

"I believe that all Div. I DCI, and most DCA Competing Corps are now using B-flat instruments? Comments, and/or clarifications, please?"

With three valves it's possible to play in any key desired. The terms Bb and G refer only to the fourth open harmonic, which of course is modified by the valves. Any three-valve horn of any key can play with any other horn of any key.

"However, no band can match (or better) the

thrilling signature sound and power of a DCI hornline."

Huh? What possible difference could it make which particular association a unit would pay dues to as it correlates to its sound and/or power? At any rate, in my experience the most powerful and thrilling sounds are produced by the so-called alumni corps which really aren't all alumni at all and which are totally unaffiliated with DCI, DCA or anyone else.

"I believe that all Div. I DCI, and most DCA Competing Corps are now using B-flat instruments? Comments, and/or clarifications, please?"

With three valves it's possible to play in any key desired. The terms Bb and G refer only to the fourth open harmonic, which of course is modified by the valves. Any three-valve horn of any key can play with any other horn of any key.

Ummm I think you missed both points on that one. Both points are based the premise that G Bugles have a different harmonic register due to the horn being LONGER than a Bb. It IS a different sound regardless of the fact that you can PLAY in ANY key. That wasn't the authors point at all. The horns have very different characteristics in sound and projection due to their design and lengths.

The top 7 corps in Atlanta all sounded superb on their Bb/F horns ....... but CorpsVets packed more punch and sizzle with a smaller hornline on their G bugles. Last I checked, most Alumni corps are still on G bugles .. so that kinda proves the authors point when taking your response into consideration.

"Friends Don't Let Friends Play Bb" :thumbup:

Any band can play on Bb.

It takes a drum and bugle corps to play on G.

Is that why it's spelled ...buGle and not ..buBble? My bad.....probably shouldn't have went there :thumbup:

"Friends Don't Let Friends Play Bb" :worthy:

Amen :thumbup:

Bb_tshirt2.jpg