PR 2009 repertoire suggestion

I've been listening to a lot of Prokofiev's Piano Concerto No. 2 recently; ####, but you could do some amazing stuff with that on the field. There are plenty of full orchestra moments that a powerful hornline could knock you over with.

this could be a fascinating visual package as well. i'm a huge fan of prokofiev's work, and this is my favorite piano piece by him. one of the things i love about prokofiev as a composer is his way of taking something apart, and just when he gets to the point of no return somehow returning it back to its origin. the 2nd piano concerto is a particularly good example of a series of complete deconstructions and miraculous returns, and while i'm generally music first visual second it would be nice to see a visual package that works with this piece, starting with clean, identifiable forms, evolving them, deviating from them, finally breaking them down and manically exploding them only to somehow create a sense of order again with a return to the original idea(l)s.

oh, and like all good prokofiev (and phantom) charts when this one gets loud, it gets LOUD!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this could be a fascinating visual package as well. i'm a huge fan of prokofiev's work, and this is my favorite piano piece by him. one of the things i love about prokofiev as a composer is his way of taking something apart, and just when he gets to the point of no return somehow returning it back to its origin. the 2nd piano concerto is a particularly good example of a series of complete deconstructions and miraculous returns, and while i'm generally music first visual second it would be nice to see a visual package that works with this piece, starting with clean, identifiable forms, evolving them, deviating from them, finally breaking them down and manically exploding them only to somehow create a sense of order again with a return to the original idea(l)s.

oh, and like all good prokofiev (and phantom) charts when this one gets loud, it gets LOUD!!

I think I would prefer Prokofiev's 3rd Piano Concerto.... it has the most amazing run that seems to go on forever. Imagine is starting with the pit and gradually adding in the Brass.

Has any corps ever done their entire program based on Carmina Burana?

Can just imagine Phantom parting my hair with O'Fortuna!!!!

People people people...

"What's Opera, Doc?"

It could be brilliant.

Has any corps ever done their entire program based on Carmina Burana?

Can just imagine Phantom parting my hair with O'Fortuna!!!!

Yes, corps have tried and failed. Just stay away from Carmina.

How about Mahler's Second Symphony? I know they did a sliver of it in the closer to "Faust" in '06, but it has so many other great moments.

Are you sure about that? I mean, even if there was a quotation I have to go back and edit all those posts where I say "No Faust in 'Faust'." That would be a major pain!

Agreed--that first movement would be epic.

:tongue::tongue::drool: Mmmmmm...tasty!!

Unfortunately, it wouldn't work in this "GE is everything" world. If they had done Mahler 2 in 98 and Verdi Requiem in 99 they would have been top 3 instead of...well, not top 3. Nothing against members.

I agree with the Berlioz...just use the existing Program of the composer himself. Perhaps more appropriate to the 70's with the whole drug theme, but now that the guard has introduced murder into DCI, off'ing the lover and the composer/narrator/dreamer in the 4th and 5th movements could be really, really, really fun!

Talk about GE...murder, beheadings, witches sabbath???

Done. /thread

Other suggestions...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the opera suggestions. 91 was my first viewing of a corps and it was PR, so I like the idea of opera in marching band! Pardon the expression...I was just a band-O back then...didn't know any better. Nikk listed some great operatic suggestions last year or so...anyone care to link us up to that list?

Wagner deserves to be separated from the 'opera' category into his own category what with the corps' history with his stuff. Imagine...the reaction to the announcement and performance of 'Spartacus' has resulted in a year-long love-fest with Regiment. If a Wagner show were to be done...'Elsa' would HAVE, HAVE, HAVE to be included. Sooooo many good operas to choose from. GE and Visual aplenty! And even with my griping about how the corps is doing Spartacus a THIRD time, they never performed 'Ride of the Valkries' in 97...still 15 hours, 49 minutes of music to choose from. And with the focus on themes and stories, etc, this is one of the best waiting to be done right, 'Wabbits' be danged!

I think Trish mentioned a sort of 'Theme and Variations' show utilizing everything Romeo & Juliet. Tchaik, Berlioz--maybe even a little bit of Lenny's WSS? Would defitely be setting up another epic duke-it-out, this time with the Holy Name Cadets (can't believe I just got to say that!) with their Bernstein show next year. Phantom vs. Phantom, 1989. 2009--oh, oh...I just made the 20-year connection right as I was writing that!--Lenny vs. Lenny! Could be interesting. Just a little bit of WSS like they did in the 91 production with just a little bit of jazz...fun stuff! GREAT use of ebb & flow, fast & slow.

My last suggestion for consideration...

...DRUM CORPS IS READY FOR BRUCKNER!!!

<retreats to wait for Bruckner8 to show up!>

My last suggestion for consideration...

...DRUM CORPS IS READY FOR BRUCKNER!!!

<retreats to wait for Bruckner8 to show up!>

You fool! You've doomed us all!

You fool! You've doomed us all!

Did he do anything that could be taken as thematic? All that comes to mind are his symphonies. Not the easiest for making into a "theme" show.

When was the last time that Berlioz was used for a show? Symphonie Fantastique would be and Awesome wicked selection for phantom to take a stab at . :tongue::worthy::tongue::drool:

Edited by Zeke

Yep. Like I said, '85 deserves another shot.

haven't heard any world class corps do Mozart...does Mozart not translate well to the drum corps world? Symphony 40 or Eine Klein Nachtmusik? Beethoven's 5th? I know these 3 are pretty much the cliche pieces of these 2 composers, but it's still some pretty dang good music...

ooo...how about "The Ride of the Valkyries" by...uh...that Wagner? that would be some good horn luvin' right there...

If PR were to play Mozart, The Marriage of Figaro would interesting musically and visually. As for Wagner, I don't see them doing it next year.

Here's something for thought. Why don't they play New World Symphony in 2009?