Judging Bias Against The Scouts?

Ok ... so I marched with the Madison Scouts in 95-96. It was heard everywhere that there was a judging bias against the Scouts. I tend to be more trusting then most and have always sided with the judges. However, I have spent many years now as a band director, clinician, and TX UIL marching judge and after seeing the crowd reaction in ATL, took time to break down film. I find the scores and rankings of The Scouts, in recent years, to be suspect - to say the least. Although I make a career juding now, I realize that I am a fan and a Scout first.

I would like to hear the opinions of people OTHER THEN Madison Scouts Alumni. What is your opinion? IS THERE A BIAS AGAINST THE SCOUTS?

MYNWA~

Madison Scouts 95-96

Edited by MikeN
Edited title per author's request - MikeN

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moved to World Class Forums.

I think in years past there was a judging bias against them to a certain degree. I think that in recent years, they have placed where they deserved with the shows they have put out. But I would definitely say in the 90's they didn't always get the placement they deserved.

Why would the judges be biased against the Scouts?

I always thought everyone loved the scouts?

Either way, no, there's no bias.

They weren't clean in 02

They were cleaner in 03 and 04

They were on fire and had an awesome show in 05

They weren't as clean in 06

They really weren't as clean in 07 (still an amazing show and performance)

They're cleaner this year

The scores reflected that. The shows were awesome and the Scouts still rock the house every night, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Ok ... so I marched with the Madison Scouts in 95-96. It was heard everywhere that there was a judging bias against the Scouts. I tend to be more trusting then most and have always sided with the judges. However, I have spent many years now as a band director, clinician, and TX UIL marching judge and after seeing the crowd reaction in ATL, took time to break down film. I find the scores and rankings of The Scouts, in recent years, to be suspect - to say the least. Although I make a career juding now, I realize that I am a fan and a Scout first.

I would like to hear the opinions of people OTHER THEN Madison Scouts Alumni. What is your opinion? IS THERE A BIAS AGAINST THE SCOUTS?

MYNWA~

Madison Scouts 95-96

Since you don't speak for the Madison Scouts organization, you might want to change the subject of this thread.

Reading the subject made me think either Jeff or Dann was claiming the judging bias.

... and after seeing the crowd reaction in ATL, took time to break down film. I find the scores and rankings of The Scouts, in recent years, to be suspect - to say the least...

Well, going by that logic, shouldn't the Scouts be winning every year. They've, more often then not, always had the crowd behind them, yes?

The Scouts have made great strides this year but picked a bad year to have a great show because, IMO, there isn't a bad show in the bunch ion '08. (Well, I can think of o Nah. I won't go there.:tongue: )

i think everyone knows that there was a major judging bias against the scouts in the 90's. partly because of personal conflicts, and partly because the judges were intentionally trying to steer dci in a different direction than the scouts were taking, and used scores as a weapon. it was a pretty open secret that there was a 2 placement bump down for the scouts during the mid 90's, when this was at its peak. i don't think there was a judging bias in the 80's, though. while i thought a couple of those shows should have been higher placed, mainly it was just because i liked the shows. i can see why the shows above them were also rated highly. the same in the 2k's, i think the scouts have pretty much been slotted at around their level of performance.