Is Surf Ready To Go WC ?

Surf is ready. Why do people have to ##### under the guise of a 'concerned party' all the time here? We know it's largely a facade for the crap slinging that goes on.

They have a wonderful director at the helm, and a heck of a staff. They have marched with a large corps for several years, and have proven they have a sustainable method for managing those numbers. They will be fine. As for talk of competitive deficiencies get over yourself. Got a ring on your finger?

Some of my old drum corps buddies joined me for a trip to Michigan City to see the Open prelims. Surf is well more than ready. From the time they rolled into the parking lot it was pretty apparent that that is a World Class organization. It was also great to hear some good-ole-fashion "in your face" east coast style drum corps. Enough with this ######-footing around artsy stuff! Give me a cold beer, a great stadium like M.C., and a great corps like Surf and I'm in drum corps heaven.

If the JS goes to WC and doesn't ever win a show, they will add something special to DCI's mix. Keep it going, Surf! We'd love to see you upset the apple cart on Friday and Saturday!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the key to going to World Class in DCI's eyes isn't the field product....no offense, but if the field were the sole criteria, Pioneer would have gone down years ago. It's about the behind the scenes stuff. I'm biased, I have good friends with Surf behind the scenes, and they share, and they are ready to go to a regional touring model. Hell, in their infancy I saw Surf eat better than top 6 corps who were only an hour or less drive away from them.

Mr. Jacobs and his crew know the risks, and have taken almost 20 years to get to this point. If he didn't think they were ready, he wouldn't waste DCI's time asking for the evaluation, and their ready. They have a close if not full sized corps, and with the loss of Crossmen from the region, this can only help Surf attract not only more kids, but higher quality kids because of the schedule.

At some point will they go full World Class, the whole tour? Maybe. but not until this management team thinks they are ready. Placement won't have one iota in deciding that either. It will all be about what is happening behind the scenes, and for that cautious approach, I applaud Mr. Jacobs and his crew.

Do they have the resources?

Are they financially sound?

They don't even tour in up to date buses.

They use older mass transit style buses.

Mmm...

have you seen SCV's line of busses. As long as they are well kept, they'll be fine.

do buses really matter THAT much? New, old, long as it moves down the road I think it's fine. heck you don't even need to own your own buses which I think is cheaper depending how you look at it considering upkeep and that you only use them for so many months out of the year.

Another thing ANY corps needs to do, (especially one that has just built gradually and consistently like the Surf) is to

A) Not "reinvent the wheel"

and

B) Stay within your means.

Bob Jacobs has been VERY conservative in making sure that Surf operates within it's means. If he thinks they are ready and have the resources to move to World, there are few...if any...directors I would trust more to make a decision like that.

have you seen SCV's line of busses. As long as they are well kept, they'll be fine.

SCV is a very unique situation. When you have an organization that has a couple of million in assets, a half a million or so in investments, has a bingo game that raises a million plus, you have an organization that is fully capable of keeping a fleet of buses up and running.

wow. Mike and I agree :tongue:

Yeah, weird, ain't it? For once, I agree with him, too :smile: !

One of my favorite sights is seeing SCV with all their buses and their other vehicles pull into or leave a show site.

Very impressive.

All their vehicles have SCV on them.

With the other corps and their charted buses it isn't as impressive.

the key to going to World Class in DCI's eyes isn't the field product....no offense, but if the field were the sole criteria, Pioneer would have gone down years ago.

if they're calling it "world class" then they absolutely should be looking at the quality of the field product