Phantom leading the way?

OK, so I've kind of t'ed off some Phans around here with my previous offerings. I think you guys will like what I've got to say here. Please...this is not, however, intended as a PR (ironic term) stunt or cheerleading session for the corps. So let's get a little bit of /bias commentary, k?

I never saw the 03 show except on video after the fact, but maintain to this day that it is a 90's show in the 00's. My take. 04 was a big disappointment, although I know many of you really liked it. I look at it now as an attempt on the part of staff to experiment with what a 2000's, Cavalier-type "theme" show was/is like. OK, first attempt, not bad.

05, however, was a real corner-turner. I loved it right from the start. Only saw it at the theater, but LOVED it! Great theme. Great show. Deserved all of the renown it received, and a great return to the top 3.

06 was masterful. I was a bit concerned when I heard there was no Faust in "Faust," but on first viewing it was pure magic--like seeing the corps for the first time all over again. Well designed, well executed--the quintisential 2000's show and theme.

07 was a stretch in that sense. Not as concrete a theme. Weird guard unis (already discussed elsewhere). Didn't help that the "BIG 3" really brought it last year. A good show with GREAT music. But not quite 06 (or 08 from all accounts).

I will only see Spartacus in the theater this year. A sad fact necessitated by my missing Dallas/San Antonio due to other commitments (see signature). However, from what everyone is saying, it sounds to be a truly magnificent offering. From Tony Hall's letter to alum to the buzz on the Planet, to the recent results at Allentown, etc, Spartacus seems to be quite the theme/story show as well.

So my question is this: How does PR seem to be stacking up against the big corps, including pretty much the entire recent Top 7, in terms of "theme/story show design"? Are they nearing or occupying the lead sled dog's seat in that role?

It just seems to me that the corps turned a corner around the middle of the decade and are finally understanding what the judges are looking for...and delivering MASTERPIECES now...all the while still performing endearing shows that make us love them all the more.

Shows like "Absurdity" are interesting, and certainly entertaining, and when I saw it in Denton, still the class of DCI. But it doesn't have a memorable theme, IMO. And while performed very well, "Godfather" was just a step short. "Winged Victory" actually seemed, to me, like a 90's show more than a theme or certainly a story show. Not that every show has to be themed...especially when performed so well!

And Cadets...well, they've been discussed quite a bit, no?

Cavaliers arguably remain the masters, at the head of the DCI class even this year. Much like "Machine," "Samurai" is the perfect vehicle for them to deliver their product and tell their story.

Crown is quickly catching up, yea even lapping at the heels of PR and Cavies...but have they passed these two yet? Are they simply awaiting the execution to catch up? If so, look out next year, with visual having challenged for gold last year and brass looking like a lock this year!

SCV is putting out good stuff, but does not appear to be in the drivers' seat. And while Blooo is not at the top of the activity in placements, I have been impressed with their last two shows from a theme standpoint. Feel free to make the argument that they are right up there, too.

Comments? Please keep it nice. Not a thread about the nasty souvie ladies, k? Besides...the only lady I've seen in the Souvie truck the last two years was stinking HOT!!! She could gripe me out any time she wanted. :wink:

They have gotten a little better with show design in the last few years, but really don't stack up against Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Cadets or SCV in terms of design.

This year, I would also have to give an edge to Carolina Crown in terms of show design.

Show design is good.

Leading the way... nowhere close.

OK, so I've kind of t'ed off some Phans around here with my previous offerings. I think you guys will like what I've got to say here. Please...this is not, however, intended as a PR (ironic term) stunt or cheerleading session for the corps. So let's get a little bit of /bias commentary, k?

I never saw the 03 show except on video after the fact, but maintain to this day that it is a 90's show in the 00's. My take. 04 was a big disappointment, although I know many of you really liked it. I look at it now as an attempt on the part of staff to experiment with what a 2000's, Cavalier-type "theme" show was/is like. OK, first attempt, not bad.

05, however, was a real corner-turner. I loved it right from the start. Only saw it at the theater, but LOVED it! Great theme. Great show. Deserved all of the renown it received, and a great return to the top 3.

06 was masterful. I was a bit concerned when I heard there was no Faust in "Faust," but on first viewing it was pure magic--like seeing the corps for the first time all over again. Well designed, well executed--the quintisential 2000's show and theme.

07 was a stretch in that sense. Not as concrete a theme. Weird guard unis (already discussed elsewhere). Didn't help that the "BIG 3" really brought it last year. A good show with GREAT music. But not quite 06 (or 08 from all accounts).

I will only see Spartacus in the theater this year. A sad fact necessitated by my missing Dallas/San Antonio due to other commitments (see signature). However, from what everyone is saying, it sounds to be a truly magnificent offering. From Tony Hall's letter to alum to the buzz on the Planet, to the recent results at Allentown, etc, Spartacus seems to be quite the theme/story show as well.

So my question is this: How does PR seem to be stacking up against the big corps, including pretty much the entire recent Top 7, in terms of "theme/story show design"? Are they nearing or occupying the lead sled dog's seat in that role?

It just seems to me that the corps turned a corner around the middle of the decade and are finally understanding what the judges are looking for...and delivering MASTERPIECES now...all the while still performing endearing shows that make us love them all the more.

Shows like "Absurdity" are interesting, and certainly entertaining, and when I saw it in Denton, still the class of DCI. But it doesn't have a memorable theme, IMO. And while performed very well, "Godfather" was just a step short. "Winged Victory" actually seemed, to me, like a 90's show more than a theme or certainly a story show. Not that every show has to be themed...especially when performed so well!

And Cadets...well, they've been discussed quite a bit, no?

Cavaliers arguably remain the masters, at the head of the DCI class even this year. Much like "Machine," "Samurai" is the perfect vehicle for them to deliver their product and tell their story.

Crown is quickly catching up, yea even lapping at the heels of PR and Cavies...but have they passed these two yet? Are they simply awaiting the execution to catch up? If so, look out next year, with visual having challenged for gold last year and brass looking like a lock this year!

SCV is putting out good stuff, but does not appear to be in the drivers' seat. And while Blooo is not at the top of the activity in placements, I have been impressed with their last two shows from a theme standpoint. Feel free to make the argument that they are right up there, too.

Comments? Please keep it nice. Not a thread about the nasty souvie ladies, k? Besides...the only lady I've seen in the Souvie truck the last two years was stinking HOT!!! She could gripe me out any time she wanted. :wink:

I think you have valid points, but I can only tell you from a limited DCI experienced viewpoint that having a drama-based design is not new or ground-breaking. Taken to the degree PR has this year it is certainly memorable, but keep in mind that drama is not a tool of the trade (marching, playing, etc) it's merely and enhancer/a bit player. IMO this is why so many are having trouble accepting the Cadets show, because it henges it's emotional connection too much to a non-DCI tool. I don't think that the Cavies this year have crossed the boundry, but I do believe that PR is getting dangerously close. Ultimately, what the crowd and the judges see are two completely different things, and designers need to be careful not to fall into drama abyss.

i think they probably have the best design in dci this year, even though i havent seen the new ending yet. i base this off of how compelling their show is.....i feel like people have been paying, and will be paying, more attention to their show than they will during any other corps performance. some of this is based on history, but its also because of the composition of their show.

i dont think 2004 phantom had any resemblance whatsoever to a cavaliers show, not in the least.

i thought 07 phantom was better than their 06 show but that's just a random opinion.

OP has some interesting opinions, some I agree with and others I don’t

Really too broad a topic for me to touch on and I don’t really get your focus or what you are looking for as a reply.

As far as Phantom Regiment leading the way in show design . . .not really.

Cohesive show design . . .as in a cohesive theme/design as you've defined it for the purposes of the thread . . .is probably more in the realm of what the Cavaliers and Blue Devils do best right now. There are subtle nuances in each of their productions that Phantom doesn't have. Watch the guard in Blue Devils show this year for some good examples of this.

However, I can tell you what (IMO) Phantom Regiment does extremely well: they've become masterful at using music as an emotional tool, and the "parts of the whole" (the brass and percussion scores bear this out) does its job so well that Regiment draws you into what's little more than a thin show concept.

The show concept of 2008's "Spartacus", as it stands now, if given to a corps like Academy, Spirit or Glassmen would be derided by others as flimsy.

Phantom Regiment, IMO, has the guns to beat you over the head with it and make it work due to the sheer emotional resonance of the music.

There's not many corps that can do that. I hope they never stop. :wink:

I guess I'm a little confused. Do you mean PR has the best show design for a theater related theme or in general the best show design?

If we're talking theater, then yes I agree that Phantom is at the top of that. But who else is with them (Bluecoats? Maybe Crown?)

If we're talking about in general, then I would have to give it to the Blue Devils. Year in and year out this design team constantly puts out a program that could be considered tops. Especially when you look at 2003 to present! But it is also hard not to include the Cadets (2005,07,08) as I think their shows are some of the most detailed oriented. If you can get over the issues about the corps, you'd see that 2005 and 2007 were some of the best designed shows ever (personal opinion.)

As for this year, I'm not into Phantoms show. I think it's a very easy concept/theme that they are maxing out! I find it a little ironic because Phantom is doing exactly what Bluecoats have done in years past (adding in GE) but instead of maxing out PR continues to raise. The more they add, the more I begin to dislike it. On the opposite end, I hated Blue Devils show at the beginning of the year but every time I watch it I get more amazed by the design and talent!

I guess I'm a little confused. Do you mean PR has the best show design for a theater related theme or in general the best show design?

If we're talking theater, then yes I agree that Phantom is at the top of that. But who else is with them (Bluecoats? Maybe Crown?)

If we're talking about in general, then I would have to give it to the Blue Devils. Year in and year out this design team constantly puts out a program that could be considered tops. Especially when you look at 2003 to present! But it is also hard not to include the Cadets (2005,07,08) as I think their shows are some of the most detailed oriented. If you can get over the issues about the corps, you'd see that 2005 and 2007 were some of the best designed shows ever (personal opinion.)

As for this year, I'm not into Phantoms show. I think it's a very easy concept/theme that they are maxing out! I find it a little ironic because Phantom is doing exactly what Bluecoats have done in years past (adding in GE) but instead of maxing out PR continues to raise. The more they add, the more I begin to dislike it. On the opposite end, I hated Blue Devils show at the beginning of the year but every time I watch it I get more amazed by the design and talent!

Well stated! Both this and the previous post are touching areas that get to the best parts of DCI this year. The top 4 shows are beautifully different. You have classic Cavies spectacular visual buffet; CC in traditional form and powerful music; PR with the most crowd connecting drama-based show of the year and BD who have attacked the senses with a cirque du soliel eye-fenzy. It's your choice, it's all there. I love BD's show because of the sheer recklessness of it all...precision chaos!

I'm not quite sure I agree with it being "very easy", but then again I really haven't seen any shows in the last decade that I'd consider extremely hard either. I think they're at the level they need to be to have success with this show...the results seem to be speaking for themselves.

I really don't see what's wrong with having an accessible theme. What's wrong with having a program that has the intentions of entertaining people and being at a level they can understand?

I think that the drive to produce overly complex themes and show designs would limit your audiences understanding and appreciation of it. It seems that some of these shows get to the level of overworked and forced. This is art, not a dissertation. Stop analyzing it so much and enjoy it.

Edited by chaos001

i dont think 2004 phantom had any resemblance whatsoever to a cavaliers show, not in the least.

I completely agree with this statement.

As for leading the way, I don't think PR is. I wrote in another thread that I think more corps will imitate BD 2008 rather than PR 2008.