Anger and the Blue Knights

Something occurred to me after getting my thoughts out in my earlier post "The Blue Knights Have Gone Insane". This concept is, I believe, at the epicenter of the corps problems in the past and going forward. The concept is a simple one---anger. Now for something a little more pointed and less tactful than before. Bear with me.

Back when I marched in 2000, we were huddled around the drum major scaffolding as one of the long-standing members of BK (a melo player) was regaling us with tales of yesteryear. I remember him saying that, "that show was sooo cool. I got to march around like an angry little bast###.* I didn't think much about it at the time, I just joined with everyone and had a good laugh about it.

During our production that year, Colors of Brass and Percussion, I remember many of the staffers telling us that our music (especially the opener) should be played with an angry feeling. They went on to tell us that this show was about getting the respect we have deserved for so many years from DCI. We should be angry and out to prove a point, they told us.

As I sit here, 8 years later, it dawns on me that this tale could allude to something deeper beneath the surface at BK. Perhaps some of the staffers feel such a level of angst against those who have "wronged" them in DCI, that they want to transcend this message through their musicians. If this is indeed the case, nothing could be more unfair, unjust, and outright selfish.

I will spare names, but I believe there are forces in play at BK which need to seriously be reconsidered. What should I have been angry about in 2000? I was not angry. I wanted to march in a world class drum corps and entertain thousands of fans. I wasn't out to settle old disputes between DCI and the Blue Knights staff. Lately, the only thing I am angry about is how BK can't seem to put together an entertaining show.

We were told that placing lower is the cost for being different and that, one day, we would enlighten DCI as to the real artistry we were bringing to the field. There was an unusual "we must prove them all wrong" smell to the air.

Let the kids perform, folks. Let them have the gratification of bringing people to their feet and setting the crowd ablaze. The shows aren`t supposed to be about the staff and its dirty laundry. This activity is about the youth. Open up, let bygones be bygones, and give these youngins a show worthy of their talents.

Edited by noblegaijin

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.....Really, I don't think this is the case. I'm pretty sure this is about you not liking their shows/direction. Lots of people do. They ARE performing and they wouldn't be coming back if they didn't really, really, really enjoy it.

You're the one disrespecting them. Nothing worse than a hostile, but well-meaning, alumn.

Something occurred to me after getting my thoughts out in my earlier post "The Blue Knights Have Gone Insane". This concept is, what I believe, is at the epicenter of the corps problems in the past and going forward. The concept is a simple one---anger. Now for something a little more pointed and less tactful than before. Bare with me.

- - - -

Let the kids perform, folks. Let them have the gratification of bringing people to their feet and setting the crowd ablaze. The shows aren`t supposed to be about the staff and its dirty laundry. This activity is about the youth. Open up, let bygones be bygones, and give these youngins a show worthy of their talents.

I read your post with interest. I appreciate your honesty about your experiences and lingering feelings, and I appreciate your diplomacy by not naming names.

I guess the point I want to raise is that you assume that the staff is the same from your time - and that the current members (who may be eight years younger or more than you) have this underdog theme as part of their corps experience. My understanding is that much of the staff for the last couple of years is mostly all new, and the corps this year is made up of dozens of rookies.

I even just discussed this OP with my own Knight ten minutes ago on the phone - and she feels that this is a corps that always focuses on "family" and music education (Mark Arnold announced one night that 70% of BK'ers this year are majoring in some form of music study). They also focus on the "team lessons" you'd find in any youth activity - being positive, strong work ethic and everyone doing his/her best , really going for it in their shows. That last bit IS what you say you want in your OP.

I see a lot of assumptions about BK and the BK organization on here, that frankly don't mesh with what I have seen and heard firsthand.

For example, I see people still referring to all of their shows as "dark" - just like everyone assumes their attitude is dark. I do not agree with this, particularly this year. I think the theme this year was to focus on art (as always now) and that is why they chose contemporary, modern, up and coming composers for two of the pieces (Mackey and Whitaker). That does not strike me as a somber way or an angry way of selecting music. It just seems (to use the other cliche that I see here all the time) "artsy". And I think the move to white guard unis was intentional. The closer is a rainbow of dozens of BRIGHT COLORS (which are incredibly beautiful up close - I wish people could see the hand-painted dye on the silk since it doesn't carry fully over the cameras) and a company front over what many people consider to be one the most hopeful, inspirational pieces of music EVAH written - Amazing Grace.

I think what I have a seen a few times on here are postings by people who are former members (or former staff, or volunteers) who have specific issues (personal issues) with particular members of staff. Whether that is the drillwriter or the Director, I'm never quite sure.

I would hope that that you would discuss these issues directly with Mark (after finals); get your concerns right out into the open. I do not believe that Mark would want anger or bitterness to be an influencing force in the corps.

As a sidenote and I know you know this - you see an entirely new perspective when you're working the administrative and logistical side of running a corps or volunteering in a corps, besides just focusing on what's going on on the field. Finances (unfortunately) have much more influence on a corp's direction than anybody would even think - it affects staff, music, logistics, equipment, quality of nutrition - everything.

Thanks for reading.

I have sat back and read the previous post about the the Blue Knights and did not think it was appropriate for me to comment.

I think as one of these unnamed staffers I probably should. I cannot comment on the direction of the corps from 2002-2007 as I was not involved. I spent time with other groups during those years.

It is true that in 2000 we wanted to make a point with the programming of the show. We wanted to present virtuostic musical book to make the point that we were doing something unique. For the three 3 years prior the corps would show up to finals week and drop a place a night, '97- 7,8,9 '98- 7,8,9 '99- 5,6,7. After three years, it gets tough not to have a chip on your shoulder.

As for the interpretation of the music, the opener was very aggressive, if I recall the title of that movement was "A Time for Hate" and the ballad was called "A Time for Love." You marched that year, do recall the imagery we spoke of often to capture the essence of that movement?

We chose that music for two reasons, to accentuate the virtuosity thing and to pick music that was written from an emotional starting point because we felt it was a weakness of ours.

Since we placed higher that corps ever did I would say we did OK.

"Dirty Laundry" is a description that is a bit harsh. But I will tell you there was a certain amount of resistance. In critiques we would hear things like, "Boy if the Cadets did this show..." Was there a certain amount of we want to prove them wrong, sure. Is there still? I would say that is fair. Look at the last week of the season, depending on who is judging the score can flucuate by points. What the Blue Knights do does spark controversy...still. As is evidenced in this thread and your previous thread.

On a personal level I wish I would have enjoyed those years more than I did at the time, I will admit to letting the competitive part over color those years. I was a younger man in those years, live and learn.

Those years were not about settling disputes, but trying to go in a different direction. Looking back on it I can say this with some certainty: I truly believe that for a drum corps that did not win a championship we certainly made a difference, especially in the visual vocabulary that is common place in pagentry today.

As far as BK cannot put out an entertaining show...that is a bit of an overstatement. It is a very different kind of drum corps. The two years prior to coming back to BK I was at the Colts. Do I wish BK could get some of the same love this year from the fans that the Colts got those two years got...sure...but again it is a different approach.

In 2001 we tried to be something to be more "fan friendly", we failed miserablely.

When I started in 1992 with the Blue Knights it was coming of the first DCI Finals appearance and the corps needed to establish an identity. It took another 5-7 years to begin to dial that in. Are there moments and shows that missed the mark...sure, in 1993 we had a caveman on the field....oi. In 1998 the Ode to Joy material did not work the way we thought it would...

The corps as always taken risks, sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't.

Do not think for a minute that the discussions that have unfolded on DCP regarding the Blue Knights approach haven't taken place on the staff bus on a daily basis and will continue in the future.

This can be said of the Blue Knights approach, there is no middle ground, you like it or you do not. Period. If there were not performers that did not want to do this style of drum corps we could not fill the corps. If there was not merit and substance to what the corps does we would not be a finalist.

This is a competitive activty and one that has an artistic, creative direction that demands that things go forward. The corps has always strived to do this at the highest level we could achieve.

What prompted me to write this was three things:

1. The corps/ hornline that you marched in made up of 80% veterans who knew what we were attempting and had felt some of the resistance to it. You heard conversations that were 3 years old. Maybe I am overreading what you wrote, but it seems as though you are making a very, very serious charge about that staff and the staff that followed. If we were truly being "selfish" we would not have the retention rate we have had over the years. I can tell you that you cannot question Mark Arnold's commitment to giving the members a healthy, challenging, and educational experience. The same can be said about some of the other players, Ralph Hardimon...unquestioned.

2. As far as airing "dirty laundry"..... I think you have taken comments that we make as staff, IN THE HEAT OF THE COMPETITIVE SEASON, out of context to a certain degree to paint a rather ugly picture. If you did not enjoy your season with us, I am sorry, I will take responsibility for that as this was apart of my job.

3. As far as a show worthy of the kids talents, when have we not done that? If we do not get the same response that others drum corps get does that mean we have failed? "Audience Engagement" takes many forms. I am personally proud of the fact that "cookie cutter" is not an accusation that fits the Blue Knights.

I can tell you as a member of the staff this year, the members love what they do. I watched them last week (I am home being a band director now...first DCI I have missed since 1984...oi) gladly roll around in the mud, after a laundry day I might add working the beginning of the show. I gotta say....that beginning is pretty cool and gets an audience reaction every night I saw the corps this summer. This particular drum corps is one of most cheerful, hard working, and uneffected by bad numbers I have been around. They are going to give 3 great performances this week and end up where they end up. I am quite sure their experience has been great enough that the vast majority will be back for another one next year.

Jason Buckingham aka Amil Muzz

Edited by Amil Muzz

I have sat back and read the previous post about the the Blue Knights and did not think it was appropriate for me to comment.

I think as one of these unnamed staffers I probably should.

What a well-written response to a thought-provoking original post.

--Rick

I hope BK keeps providing the same breath of fresh air in the middle of lineups that they've been doing for the past 3 years. I love the direction they've been going in lately, and I look forward to it more and more every year.

Jason, I met you on the Crossmen staff bus in '05 and we shared some 'shine from Cedric's jar. You seemed like a cool guy, and that was a very cool post. Well put.

I think as one of these unnamed staffers I probably should. I cannot comment on the direction of the corps from 2002-2007 as I was not involved. I spent time with other groups during those years.

It is true that in 2000 we wanted to make a point with the programming of the show. We wanted to present virtuostic musical book to make the point that we were doing something unique. For the three 3 years prior the corps would show up to finals week and drop a place a night, '97- 7,8,9 '98- 7,8,9 '99- 5,6,7. After three years, it gets tough not to have a chip on your shoulder.

As for the interpretation of the music, the opener was very aggressive, if I recall the title of that movement was "A Time for Hate" and the ballad was called "A Time for Love." You marched that year, do recall the imagery we spoke of often to capture the essence of that movement?

We chose that music for two reasons, to accentuate the virtuosity thing and to pick music that was written from an emotional starting point because we felt it was a weakness of ours.

Since we placed higher that corps ever did I would say we did OK.

"Dirty Laundry" is a description that is a bit harsh. But I will tell you there was a certain amount of resistance. In critiques we would hear things like, "Boy if the Cadets did this show..." Was there a certain amount of we want to prove them wrong, sure. Is there still? I would say that is fair. Look at the last week of the season, depending on who is judging the score can flucuate by points. What the Blue Knights do does spark controversy...still. As is evidenced in this thread and your previous thread.

On a personal level I wish I would have enjoyed those years more than I did at the time, I will admit to letting the competitive part over color those years. I was a younger man in those years, live and learn.

Those years were not about settling disputes, but trying to go in a different direction. Looking back on it I can say this with some certainty: I truly believe that for a drum corps that did not win a championship we certainly made a difference, especially in the visual vocabulary that is common place in pagentry today.

As far as BK cannot put out an entertaining show...that is a bit of an overstatement. It is a very different kind of drum corps. The two years prior to coming back to BK I was at the Colts. Do I wish BK could get some of the same love this year from the fans that the Colts got those two years got...sure...but again it is a different approach.

In 2001 we tried to be something we were not to be more "fan friendly", we failed miserablely.

When I started in 1992 with the Blue Knights it was coming of the first DCI Finals appearance and the corps needed to establish an identity. It took another 5-7 years to begin to dial that in. Are there moments and shows that missed the mark...sure, in 1993 we had a caveman on the field....oi. In 1998 the Ode to Joy material did not work the way we thought it would...

The corps as always taken risks, sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't.

Do not think for a minute that the discussions that have unfolded on DCP regarding the Blue Knights approach haven't taken place on the staff bus on a daily basis and will continue in the future.

This can be said of the Blue Knights approach, there is no middle ground, you like it or you do not. Period. If there were not performers that did not want to do this style of drum corps we could not fill the corps. If there was not merit and substance to what the corps does we would not be a finalist.

This is a competitive activty and one that has an artistic, creative direction that demands that things go forward. The corps has always strived to do this at the highest level we could achieve.

What prompted me to write this was three things:

1. The corps/ hornline that you marched in made up of 80% veterans who knew what we were attempting and had felt some of the resistance to it. You heard conversations that were 3 years old. Maybe I am overreading what you wrote, but it seems as though you are making a very, very serious charge about that staff and the staff that followed. If we were truly being "selfish" we would not have the retention rate we have had over the years. I can tell you that you cannot question Mark Arnold's commitment to giving the members a healthy, challenging, and educational experience. The same can be said about some of the other players, Ralph Hardimon...unquestioned.

2. As far as airing "dirty laundry"..... I think you have taken comments that we make as staff, IN THE HEAT OF THE COMPETITIVE SEASON, out of context to a certain degree to paint a rather ugly picture. If you did not enjoy your season with us, I am sorry, I will take responsibility for that as this was apart of my job.

3. As far as a show worthy of the kids talents, when have we not done that? If we do not get the same response that others drum corps get does that mean we have failed? "Audience Engagement" takes many forms. I am personally proud of the fact that "cookie cutter" is not an accusation that fits the Blue Knights.

I can tell you as a member of the staff this year, the members love what they do. I watched them last week (I am home being a band director now...first DCI I have missed since 1984...oi) gladly roll around in the mud, after a laundry day I might add working the beginning of the show. I gotta say....that beginning is pretty cool and gets an audience reaction every night I saw the corps this summer. This particular drum corps is one of most cheerful, hard working, and uneffected by bad numbers I have been around. They are going to give 3 great performances this week and end up where they end up. I am quite sure their experience has been great enough that the vast majority will be back for another one next year.

Wow,. I roused Jason from the shadows. Sorry it was under such aggressive auspices.

Thanks for the thoughtful and, more importantly, respectful response. I am sure, as a staffer, some of my comments hit pretty close to home. I appreciate you not taking them too personally. Let me also say that you were one of the best parts of my summer. Some of the motivational talks you gave to the hornline were fantastic. You brought so much energy and passion to your job and I have a ton of respect for you.

Given that it is nearly 6am here in Japan, I am a bit frayed around the edges at the moment, so I will return to give a better response later.

I think when you look at the overall activity, it`s fair to say that members of pretty much any corps are in for a rewarding experience. It`s hard to throw that much of yourself behind something and not come out a better person as a result. When we take, in total, what the BK experience is, it is easy to be content with the results. I think at the end of the day, much of what you are driving home rings true for me.

Taking all of things that BK does right---its success as a nearly annual top 12 finalist, a rewarding experience, great hornline with tons of upside---you have to start looking for "what`s next". How can we take what we do, but do it better? I think one of the biggest problems with BK has been its level of crowd engagment. In your own words you say that BK tried it in 2001, but failed miserably. Then, the following season, it was promptly back to the comfort zone. But that didn:t work out so well either. It wasn`t until `04 that BK returned to finals. In the famous line chart anology of Mark Arnold himself, doesn`t it "have to get worse before it gets better"?

If BK is truly committed to pushing the envelope....let`s push the ###### thing. Let`s actually play some tough licks while doing all that dancing. I know...easier said than done, but I think our staff and talent can pull it off given the right approach. Some examples of innovations that I have seen recently are, say, the neat note bending in Boston`s show, the implimentation of far east instrumentation in the Cavies program )Taiko, Biwa, panflute, and of course the absolutely crazy hauling arse finish on Phantom`s closer. Those boys are moving and putting out some nice volume to boot. Is any of that entirely new? More than likely not. I am sure there is a show or two I have missed throughout the years, but those are nicely placed areas of showmanship that really please a crowd. BK wouldn`t have to sacrifice a shred of its identity in order to achieve the same.

The title of the opener was actually, Intro to Montage. Just to avoid confusion.

It is hard to be critical and not take something away from those people who pour their hearts and souls into their craft. I am walking a tight rope here, so I appreciate everyone letting me bend their ears for a bit.

Edited by noblegaijin

2. As far as airing "dirty laundry"..... I think you have taken comments that we make as staff, IN THE HEAT OF THE COMPETITIVE SEASON, out of context to a certain degree to paint a rather ugly picture.

good point.

i think thats incredibly accurate and true. pretty much what i thought when i read the quotes the OP had used from the staff. it's definitely out of context at this point.

honestly, most corps use the "let's get angry" approach often. it's not a big deal really, or something to be concerned about 8 years later. i marched in a corps that never really did an "angry" show, and that perspective was still offered to members as potential incentive. personally, i didn't like it. i occasionally went into shows in 2005 pis$ed off at members of my visual staff, and had good shows. i also performed shows without any anger during my career, and also had good shows. maybe the intensity that anger sometimes provokes really does make some of the more complacent members perform better, though.

picture phantom's '96 show. if the staff eloquently suggested before the finals performance to perform with the intensity, fervor, and passion (several of the ingredients of anger) of early 20th century russian revolutionaries, or perhaps an orchestra performing a piece that conveyed these emotions.....or maybe even with the anger of a corps that had been "competitively disrespected" many times over the decades, you think members would be posting on dcp 12 years later, questioning their staff for their selfish and vicarious intentions?

your point is reasonable; interesting at worst, but i must say that i disagree with your spin on the blue knights' intentions. i even more so disagree when considering that your opener was called "a time for hate." what other kind of mood should the performers be creating? if the staff told you guys to perform "a time for hate" with the attitude of "liking the dci experience, gratitude for your scores so far that season, and interest in entertaining the crowd in maryland," you think it would have come across as effectively? it's just a metaphor that was used to potentially motivate other members of your drum corps.

i was entertained by bk's show this year......a bit alienated musically at points, but still thoroughly fascinated and intrigued by the indistinguishable aura they created in the georgia dome. the mood during their show was different than any other corps in dci, and thus i really appreciate their approach to design and performance.

edit- just wanted to mention that your title and subtitle looked like i was about to read a research paper or something, heh

Edited by Jared_mello

I hope BK keeps providing the same breath of fresh air in the middle of lineups that they've been doing for the past 3 years. I love the direction they've been going in lately, and I look forward to it more and more every year.

Thanks for the kind words about BK, but I just don`t get this. You are basically saying, "thanks for being middle of the road, BK. Don`t do something silly like trying to get top 3 anytime soon. I like having a little break in between.* Come on, now. Where`s the drive to be better? This is a competition, right?