Top Tier vs Non-Top Tier

Why the difference?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are Non-Top Tier shows not designed as well, or is it execution?

• Design
    • Execution

When I think of top tier of DCI I think of BD, PR, Cavies, SCV, Cadets, Bluecoats Crown. Then it seems to be the rest.

In my opinion, I think that corps in the lower end tend to have worse design than execution. I look at corps like Blue Stars this year, or Colts last and how their design teams really helped them. Obviously execution is not on the same level as the top but I don't think most of these corps are being hurt by the execution of their shows.

I will say that it seems in the past two years the design of the mid-tier has stepped up making their shows more enjoyable.

Edit: I added Crown onto the top tier, I was thinking top 7 and left them out.

Edited by AzEuph

... Just a warning, I get the feeling you're going to get lots of crap headed your way for not having Crown on that list.

Both, but overall I would say it's design.

Say you were to take a non-top tier corps like Pioneer or Mandarins at the end of the season and put them up against Blue Devils or Cavaliers at the beginning of the season.

Who do you think would win?

top tier corps have an excellent track record of maintaining top instructional staff and arrangers. Nothing against lower tiered corps or their staff but it is apples and oranges.

I do think it's both execution and design. I've said this before in other threads: when the average age of a corps is 16-17 or even in some cases 18 and the corps has very little collective experience, that collective inexperience along with a natural immaturity is likely to make it impossible to pull off the kind of sounds and moves many designers (and/or directors) think they HAVE to put on the field to compete.

So, I guess what I'm hoping is that non top-tier corps will be encouraged to focus more on basics and identity and less on trying to emulate what they assume judges reward in the upper echelon of the activity. While high velocity drill, dissonant and disjointed music with difficult transitions, high-end dancing and guard work and thrillingly difficult percussion parts are obviously part of the game at the top, identity and basics are at the core of it all. Get that down first and build on it.

Edited by TerriTroop

When I think of top tier of DCI I think of BD, PR, Cavies, SCV, Cadets, Bluecoats Crown. Then it seems to be the rest.

In my opinion, I think that corps in the lower end tend to have worse design than execution. I look at corps like Blue Stars this year, or Colts last and how their design teams really helped them. Obviously execution is not on the same level as the top but I don't think most of these corps are being hurt by the execution of their shows.

I will say that it seems in the past two years the design of the mid-tier has stepped up making their shows more enjoyable.

Edit: I added Crown onto the top tier, I was thinking top 7 and left them out.

Well, there is a sub group within these 7 Corps you've listed here.

There is a big difference ( for instance ) between the group of Bluecoats, SCV, The Cadets.

And the next tier of Blue Devils, Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment. ( with maybe Crown in this group)

The first group of BC, SCV, Cadets, have no shot at the Championship this Saturday. ( as entertaining as they can be )

The latter group has the champion this year amongst these 3, (possibly 4 )Corps. This is your top tier

Edited by BRASSO

IMO, i think some good performance is discredited due to design. as a judge, it is possible to rank the how above the what, yet it seems rare to see that