5 Random Things from Quarters

Nothing is really "taking a beating". If you are familier with the new "grass-tro-turf" you would realize that the paint is not being affected. In the newer types of turf there are little-bitty pieces of rubber that are loosely packed in the turf. When you march on this turf, or move anything across it, the little black pieces come to the surface.

So, what you are actually seeing is not the paint being destroyed, but these little black rubber pieces being brought to the surface.

Thank you Jeff for explaining this--I'm glad you did because I was gearing up to explain it myself. They turf experts will "groom" the surface and everything will be fine tomorrow--or today as it were. Which is yesterday.

Sort of.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

3) Brand new turf here at IU -- looked great when the day started -- looked like **** by 9 o'clock. The end zones particularly took a beating on the new paint job with all the tire tracks from the equipment haulers. Hope the IU AD knew what he was in for just a few weeks before first game!!! It'll be interesting to see if they can clean it up at all before tomorrow night.

I think the black .that we were seeing were just the "turf turds" (that is what dc members call them), the little rubbery things that cover the field. When the turf is compressed they become very visible. I don't know how they make the field look good again (some sort of vacuum system maybe?) but I am willing to bet it will look good for the start of tonight's show.

I heard a story on NPR the other day about how those rubber pellets absorb heat, and can make the surface of these turf fields as hot as 160 degrees! Anyone from field level have a report on hot it was down there?

No need to change the name, just get the 11th BACK INTO FINALS! That would be more cool than having 4 "Blue" corps there!!

Not sure about everyone else, but it's been way too long, and I miss having Casper crew in finals!! Fred Morris and crew are going the right direction. If it doesn't happen in 2009 (and I hope it does!), I have a $50 spot that Troopers will be there in 2010!!!

From your lips to the drum corps gods' ears! (Hey Mr. Jones, can you pull some strings up there? THANKS! :thumbup: )

Phantom had the crowd the entire performance last night. There wasn't a single person in the stands not standing and cheering after the final murder to the end. It was amazing, single best live drum corps moment I've ever experienced. Hopefully they can boost up in placements tonight. I see a Spirit of Disney award for Phantom this year no doubt. imo

Nothing is really "taking a beating". If you are familier with the new "grass-tro-turf" you would realize that the paint is not being affected. In the newer types of turf there are little-bitty pieces of rubber that are loosely packed in the turf. When you march on this turf, or move anything across it, the little black pieces come to the surface.

So, what you are actually seeing is not the paint being destroyed, but these little black rubber pieces being brought to the surface.

Thanks for the correction. Guess I'm not as up on my "turf technology" as I should be :thumbup:

So two questions:

1) How do they clean it up -- vaccuum? sweeper? high pressure hose? zamboni?

2) Does bringing all these turf turds to the surface make the surface more slippery? Noticed a few spills last night, although not really more than normal given the high speed drill, but just wondering if the turf played a more significant role ....

Edited by Liam

Thanks for the correction. Guess I'm not as up on my "turf technology" as I should be :thumbup:

So two questions:

1) How do they clean it up -- vaccuum? sweeper? high pressure hose? zamboni?

2) Does bringing all these turf turds to the surface make the surface more slippery? Noticed a few spills last night, although not really more than normal given the high speed drill, but just wondering if the turf played a more significant role ....

1) my guess would be similar to baseball diamond? Just drag a big fence rake across the field or something to uniformly sweep the turf..? I don't really know, but makes sense to me. Feel free to call me out.

2) Personall I think the grasstroturf is a clearly easier to march on, and I wouldn't think it makes it as slippery as real grass. Its just cushion-y enough you can really initiate step offs and plant for direction changes. If anything I'd think you'd fall from your feet getting "stuck" a little, instead of being slippery, but I've never marched on wet grasstroturf ($1 '06 Cornhusker stadium rainout). Worse part about it is getting a million of the little rubber pieces in your shoes!! gahh drives me nuts.

Edited by 08Hawkeye

First off, Phantom WON. Placements, scores...no. EVERY PERSON IN THAT STADIUM, and MOVIE THEATERS.....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DCI can crown any absurd show they want, but everyone knew who blew that house down from start to finish. Now, how did Colts look? See I was in the theater IN Dubuque and they had technical problems untill three minutes left in the Colts show. There were a few parents who were not real happy. Get the crap fixed, OR don't offer it. Shows: Madison played well, but those uniforms on that color turf, they kind of disppeared. All I saw was a bunch of white hats floating around. Camera guys: The boxes the Scouts play are neat, just remember there is a WHOLE show going on. I think I watched the same five guys for around four straight minutes. Blue Star: WHOLLY SCHNIKEYS batman. WOW. You had a standing O from the Colts home theater. UNREAL. You deserve everybit of the placements you got. Can't wait to see this on the dvds. Bluecoats: Mic failed again? ALL YEAR? Show kicks major butt, but I would fire your equipment guy. Loved the horns, that block of in your face, was, in your face. SWEET..... :lol: Crossmen, love the music, love the show. Glassmen: Very nice work on the balloon section and drill. I love Enya, but not sure how that translates to a carnival. Blue Knights, I am at a loss for you. I like the show, I hate the show. I don't get it. You have me confused, but you do it really well ( I will now go to my therapist to discuss ). Boston: My early season favorite. I still love the show, and feel for the guy in the guard who has to carry that girl and then run the football field as the drill opens for them. Its cool, but man that had to be a feet. ( nothing against the girl, carrying a sack of onions that far would wind me anymore ).SCV, only saw you once and I thought your placement is probably right. I wasn't really wowed until the end. Good show, just not in my list of favs. Cadets: I liked the erly season version better, but you guys can flat out play. Next year I want to be one of those actors that sit in the middle of a great show and fake talk. Had to be a really tiring season in that roll. Another memorable show from one of the best. Crown: Sweet sound, love the musical connection to the audience, but maybe next time cut down to 32 songs. :thumbup: Cavies: Loved the show, your improvement this year was outstanding. The show kept growing from day one. Very cool.Let the chips fall where they may. Blue Devils, colorguard of this caliber deserves uniforms of their worth. These neon things completely took away from the corps proper. I know the judges just absolutley can't get enough of your show. My theater was left wondering what the heck they saw. This has the typical cool drum licks, great sounding hornline and super colorguard, but this show left our group flat. Dubuque theater had Phantom winning by a point. And of course that means we know it all :lol: FANTASTIC year. 2008, you kids blew this country away.... :lol::smile:

I heard a story on NPR the other day about how those rubber pellets absorb heat, and can make the surface of these turf fields as hot as 160 degrees! Anyone from field level have a report on hot it was down there?

Don't know about yesterday's conditions, but rehearsing on artificial turf in the middle of a summer's day will make any case of athlete's foot seem easily tolerable.