South African segment after BD

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 3 or 4 kids from SA marching with Pioneer this year as well. They showed them after they aired the doc on the Atlanta webcast.

A lot of folks judge Pioneer just by their outward appearances ... Uniforms, performance levels, etc.. Roman's vision for that corps involves things that most people don't really care about, or only pay lip service to. Roman talks the talk and walks the walk, y'know?

Excellent! SO glad to read that!

Pio: Epic win

OP in this thread: EPIC fail

Heartless, party of one...

I'm sure the children of South Africa whose lives have been changed by music will be sending you personal apology notes for wasting your precious time.

:smile:

My feelings are that we have enough homeless,suffering,starving and aids infected kids over here.Why not do a whole segment on putting our kids here in the US in drum corps?

Really I do feel bad for these kids way of life and I can understand why this group would want tackle the problems over there but the segment was way too political and the timing of it was horrible.Perhaps if they would have shown it earlier in the evening or at intermission people could have decided if they wanted to watch that or go get a hot dog.The audience was buzzing about scores and corps when the segment went on then everything just went to Dull and dud!

I just hate if forced on me thats all.

Edited by cadetsfan

maybe a touch too long and a touch too dark, but well done

Too long and Too dark yes on both counts.

Had it been short like a PSA I would not have given it a second thought.

I kept waiting to actually hear said brass bands. No matter how horrific the sound. The dancing was cool though. Totally WGI material. :smile:

Too long and Too dark yes on both counts.

Had it been short like a PSA I would not have given it a second thought.

I was not at the theatre, but it sounds like the purpose of this spot that wasted your time was so that you actually would give it a second thought. And a third, and fourth, and fifth, etc.

Also disagree ... They're making a difference, one kid at a time, in a place that needs it. I've seen that documentary three times this summer (as it was shown after two of the webcasts.)

No, it's not easy to watch because it confronts our reality. Tough ####. Sometimes we in the US need our reality confronted ... I say bravo Dave Gibbs and bravo DCI.

I am paying $18 to watch drum corps, not to get my reality confronted.

My feelings are that we have enough homeless,suffering,starving and aids infected kids over here.Why not do a whole segment on putting our kids here in the US in drum corps?

Really I do feel bad for these kids way of life and I can understand why this group would want tackle the problems over there but the segment was way too political and the timing of it was horrible.Perhaps if they would have shown it earlier in the evening or at intermission people could have decided if they wanted to watch that or go get a hot dog.The audience was buzzing about scores and corps when the segment went on then everything just went to Dull and dud!

I just hate if forced on me thats all.

I apologize for the personal attack, but I'll stand by my sentiment. I'd be all for a "whole segment on putting our kids here in the US in drum corps" too in the sense that I think you're talking about, (as in more programs to get kids off the streets here and change their lives through drum corps?) but that's just not what we happened to see last night. Instead we had a short pitch for a cause (during a few utterly blank moments of programming as scores were tabulated) that's relevant to the DCI community in the US through both David Gibbs and other personnel that are involved, and the fact that it's an organization that "creates lifetime opportunities for the youth of South Africa through the discipline and creativity of music and movment." (From their website, here.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "way too political" in this context, but that's a discussion that will probably drift too far into CE territory, so I'll stay off it.

You still had a choice whether you "wanted to watch or go get a hot dog." Forced would be someone in the audience pointing a gun at you screaming "DONATE NOW!!!" I just don't get why it's a bad thing for DCI to even try to raise awarness for this cause.

Edited by troon8

Wow...

I cant even believe that i just read that, but as always, people will differ on opinions.

I think it was great, very eye opening and definetly got some people thinking.

There was some applause in my theater as the thing definetly ended on a positive note.

And for those who dont know, there is a process called "tabulation" that takes place after a show is over.

Did you notice how the scores didnt come in for one corps until after the next corps was done?

thats because a number of scores need to be (say it with me) "Tabulated".... yes... very good.

So "boo hiss" to DCI for not only showcasing a very worthwhile organization, and the globalization of an activity we love here, rather than say, sit in the dark doing nothing for 15 minutes or maybe watching Steve Rondinaro and company "riff" for awhile longer because they dont know what to say? ...

cant agree there.

But then, Drum corps literally (although not like the folks in SA) saved my life too..

Maybe thats why i thought it was a good idea.

To each his or her own i suppose!