bluecoats drumline

From my experience, this year is just a #### strong year for DCI percussion sections:

* Phantom Regiment is unreal. When I saw them July 3rd they were incredibly clean. They are one of the cleanest percussion sections I have ever seen.

* Cavaliers are better than they've been in years. Their battery is clean, and they have one of the best pits in DCI: that pit is unreal!

* BD is as good as they usually are

That leaves us with Bluecoats in a solid Top 4/5 position, right? With this year's competition, that is no small accomplishment. Coats have a great battery: that bass lick last night was awesome (better Friday than Thursday, IMO). I think their pit is not as good as Phantom or Cavaliers, but ballpark of Blue Devils. When you factor in the front ensemble, I think that Bluecoats are not as strong as PR and Cavs. Again, this year there is nothing wrong with being Top 5 in percussion. This is a great percussion section from Bluecoats, but the sections above them are even better

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the semis FN broadcast, which I watched with my friend Dave here in Japan, we thought Bluecoats' drumline sounded real tasty. Good stuff!

Told ya Finals would be different. Also, I do not think that Ulicny has an issue with Bluecoats per se (he was a FMM), I just do not think he cares for the style of the drumeline or something. I figured JJ and Jeff would see the light and they did. Congrats also to Phantom, Paul Rennick and the rest of the UNT connection.

Go BLOOOOOOOO!

So your reply is "I have no experience in the subject, but I wil reply" very useful.

The problem tonight was Ulicny, again. Tomorrow will be different.

No I have experience. I guess I did understate my experience and knowledge. I've played on a drumline, took lessons from Vern Johnson for a while, attended several workshops at my college, as well as paid attention to my indoor ensemble. I had intended on audition for my college drumline but couldn't because of conflicts with drum corps.

I guess what I meant to say is I understand a lot of the music and rudimets and their difficulties, but I can't play them all. And definitely not at the level of Bluecoats.

But as I stated, I only watched clips from one show either this year and that was my general thinking. I haven't watched too many clips of drumlines as I usually wait for vic firths videos to come out for the end of the season.

No I have experience. I guess I did understate my experience and knowledge. I've played on a drumline, took lessons from Vern Johnson for a while, attended several workshops at my college, as well as paid attention to my indoor ensemble. I had intended on audition for my college drumline but couldn't because of conflicts with drum corps.

I guess what I meant to say is I understand a lot of the music and rudimets and their difficulties, but I can't play them all. And definitely not at the level of Bluecoats.

But as I stated, I only watched clips from one show either this year and that was my general thinking. I haven't watched too many clips of drumlines as I usually wait for vic firths videos to come out for the end of the season.

bluecoats don't use vic firth... so you'll be waiting a while.

on the field, they are incredible, but as said before, something just didnt click watching it upstairs. i dont know if it was all design, tuning, micing, but it just didnt feel as comfortable being up high as it was being down low

who, the perc 2 judge from last night?

Yeah, Steve marched in the 1988 & 1989 bass lines, he left in the spring of 1990 and went to Star and played tympani for them.

Folks. I wasn't intimating that Steve left the Bluecoats as a ring-chaser. Neither was a impling that he had something against the Bluecoats. I was just pointing out how ironic it was that somebody thought Ulicny was a problem for Blue, yet he was Blue. That is all.

Now, that being said, I knew him from 90 winter camps. I have blown him a fair amount of crap (and other corps-jumpers from my time) . But it has always been in jest, and is something I would say (again, jokingly :tongue: ) to their face.

Edited by mingusmonk