Why doesn't DCI broadcast Finals?

I understand that DCI doesn't want to loose revenue by people watching online or in the theatres instead of buying Finals tickets. However, you can take care of all of us that cannot attend Finals by letting us purchase the rights to watch online or in the theatre, and make even MORE REVENUE.

This doesn't make too much sense. And it is not taking care of us who have contributed a lot of time, marching and $$$$ (DCI Fan Network Subscritions, tickets throughout the year, souvies, etc.).

Opinions? What's it going to take to let us see Finals over the web or in the theatres?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that DCI doesn't want to loose revenue by people watching online or in the theatres instead of buying Finals tickets. However, you can take care of all of us that cannot attend Finals by letting us purchase the rights to watch online or in the theatre, and make even MORE REVENUE.

This doesn't make too much sense. And it is not taking care of us who have contributed a lot of time, marching and $$$$ (DCI Fan Network Subscritions, tickets throughout the year, souvies, etc.).

Opinions? What's it going to take to let us see Finals over the web or in the theatres?

I was wondering the same thing. I mean, there is still a HUGE fan base who cannot attend finals, ESPECIALLY in the military. Most of us would LOVE to attend finals, but cannot always get there.

I was wondering the same thing. I mean, there is still a HUGE fan base who cannot attend finals, ESPECIALLY in the military. Most of us would LOVE to attend finals, but cannot always get there.

Yeah, me and my wife just had our 2nd kid two weeks ago, so we cannot travel even if we wanted to. I would atleast like the option of paying "TICKET PRICE" to see it broadcasted!!!

I posted a similar sentiment earlier in the week, and also e-mailed my business idea to DCI regarding broadcasting finals. The short of it is I think they should stream Finals as a Pay-Per-View only type event (so Fan Network subscribers would still need to pay extra for it). If they charged a high-but-reasonable charge (say $55, which is the second lowest ticket price), and roughly 1500 paid for it (which is substantially less than the amount of Fan Network members), then they would make over $80,000. They could keep it high angle only, not put it on Demand, and they'd still be able to make money of people like myself who doesn't/can't make the cross-country trip for Finals. Instead of paying $55 to watch DCI Finals, I'm paying nothing to hear about it from BD's blog: by that I mean DCI is losing money from me that they could've made otherwise. I would think that it's a low-expense high-profit venture for DCI.

Perhaps DCI will rethink this for next year, and come up with a plan that would be mutually beneficial for all of us.

I posted a similar sentiment earlier in the week, and also e-mailed my business idea to DCI regarding broadcasting finals. The short of it is I think they should stream Finals as a Pay-Per-View only type event (so Fan Network subscribers would still need to pay extra for it). If they charged a high-but-reasonable charge (say $55, which is the second lowest ticket price), and roughly 1500 paid for it (which is substantially less than the amount of Fan Network members), then they would make over $80,000. They could keep it high angle only, not put it on Demand, and they'd still be able to make money of people like myself who doesn't/can't make the cross-country trip for Finals. Instead of paying $55 to watch DCI Finals, I'm paying nothing to hear about it from BD's blog: by that I mean DCI is losing money from me that they could've made otherwise. I would think that it's a low-expense high-profit venture for DCI.

Perhaps DCI will rethink this for next year, and come up with a plan that would be mutually beneficial for all of us.

Bad thing about BD's blog, is that even though it is great, we are just "hearing about it"!! I want to acutally watch and hear it. I think I and evreryone else that has marched drum corps have deserved atleast the opportunity to pay to participate in Finals by watching it. And like you said, it should make DCI even more money too!

good point, but watch what you say, or they will find a way to charge fore BD's Blog

Bad thing about BD's blog, is that even though it is great, we are just "hearing about it"!! I want to acutally watch and hear it. I think I and evreryone else that has marched drum corps have deserved atleast the opportunity to pay to participate in Finals by watching it. And like you said, it should make DCI even more money too!

I'm a Fan Network member, and have been more than impressed with DCI's streaming capabilities this year. In the past, I wouldn't even begin to have confidence that DCI would stream finals successfully. This year, however, I think they could pull it off without a hitch.

A buddy and mine were talking about it last week: we were both sitting in So Cal, without the means to go to Indy. However, we would both gladly pay DCI ticket price to watch DCI Finals streamed on my computer. Instead of DCI getting my ticket money, they are getting nothing. I think this would be a great money making venture for DCI, and hope that now that their Fan Network has proven successful they will consider this option next season.

I think DCI will broadcast Finals when it's feasible in terms of money and when they can figure out the avenue they wish to take. The web is certainly a possibility, and there are others, but this particular year was not possible.

DCI entered into a 3-year contract with ESPN 2 years ago. They paid in the neighborhood of $250,000 for the right to have their production broadcast on ESPN 2 a few times after finals. But after two years of that I think they felt the number of viewers and the type of package they had to create for ESPN was not quite worth the money or the effort. They have chosen to bring more of a web presence to you, the fans, and I believe they have done a great job. The Fan Network has been wonderful for the most part. Some bugs to work out, but it is far better than anything we have ever had.

However, in doing so, DCI decided not to do the ESPN broadcast this year, but due to the contract, which was 3 years, they are not allowed to show DCI FInals on any other Network or web service. They can show Quarters and Semis, as they did, but not Finals. Since the ESPN contract is still alive until after this summer, ESPN still owns the rights to a Finals broadcast. So if DCI did show Finals, ESPN gets to show it, and DCI has to fork over 250K.

Next summer may be different, and DCI may look into some sort of Finals air time. But I am just guessing. A lot can happen, so let's see where this goes.

DVD's will be in higher demand this year. More people will want to see this amazing finish, not a great argument for a tv broadcast that showed little and cost too much.

DVD's will be in higher demand this year. More people will want to see this amazing finish, not a great argument for a tv broadcast that showed little and cost too much.

i agree

if people see finals live on a webcast theyll be less inclined to pay for the dvds (especially with how easy it is to record streaming video on your computer)

it sucks that they lost so much on a contract with espn, i wonder if theyre gonna go back to pbs next year, or some other channel?