Let's talk horns

And I'll bet they're getting louder with each passing year! :tounge2:

Fred O.

OK. Took me over a week but you deserve applause with that reply! No acronym needed, just out and out guffaw!

But let me ask this: What horns were the Cavaliers playing when they did their Holst "Mars Bringer Of War," etc. show? (1995 or 1996 I think) I am now asking myself if it was the horns or the downright awesome orchestration of a piece that just lends itself to really loud when it calls for it.

Any answers, folks?

Puppet

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played on a brand new Jupiter mellophone today. So much back pressure! It is very compact and not very free blowing. I have always liked King mellos and low brass, but if I had to pick a horn manufacturer today it would be Yamaha. I think that their horns are best overall quality throughout the brass section. They are constructed the best and The trumpets/ mellophones sound awesome. The low brass isn't King quality, but it is alright. I would rather take a great high brass and a pretty good low brass over King's great low brass and mellophone with TERRIBLE trumpets.

But let me ask this: What horns were the Cavaliers playing when they did their Holst "Mars Bringer Of War," etc. show? (1995 or 1996 I think) I am now asking myself if it was the horns or the downright awesome orchestration of a piece that just lends itself to really loud when it calls for it.

Any answers, folks?

Puppet

I'm fairly certain '95 Cavies were using Dynasty 3 valves back then. I remember the sops, baris, euphs, and contras being Dynasty, so I assume the mellos were as well.

QUOTE (drumno5 @ Mar 10 2009, 08:01 AM)

And I'll bet they're getting louder with each passing year!

Fred O.

OK. Took me over a week but you deserve applause with that reply!

Puppet

I knew my remark wouldn't escape your all-seeing eye!

regards,

Fred O.

I'm scared for Phantom because they are switching to Jupiter! Why would they change after winning when playing on King? Is it about money? Do they get free horns? What good is it going to do them if the horns fall apart in their hands? I just don't understand..... :lookaround::blink: :blink: :blink:

I'm scared for Phantom because they are switching to Jupiter! Why would they change after winning when playing on King? Is it about money? Do they get free horns? What good is it going to do them if the horns fall apart in their hands? I just don't understand..... :lookaround::blink: :blink: :blink:

JD Shaw and the Boston Brass recently switched from being King artists to Jupiter artists. So, yes, it is all about money.

JD Shaw and the Boston Brass recently switched from being King artists to Jupiter artists. So, yes, it is all about money.

........this is a sad day :lookaround::blink: :blink: :blink:

Haven't heard any complaints or of horns falling apart from the corps that were using Jupiter this past season, Academy, Surf and Teal. Think Phantom will be just fine!

I heard some of corps with them last year. I cant stand the sound of the horns. But that is only my opinion.

I heard some of corps with them last year. I cant stand the sound of the horns. But that is only my opinion.

the sound of the horns or the sound of the players?

give a professional a beginner instrument he/she will make it sound good

give a beginner student a professional model instrument it will still sound like crap.

Obviously this is a gross simplification/exaggeration and there are many more factors, but hopefully that makes still sense.

edit: changed some wording, nothing big

Edited by Hansbari