Cadets Classy Retreat

If DCI did retreats more often at more shows, maybe corps would have more practice at being a class act instead of all the horseplay and messing around on such an important night as finals.

I agree completely! Bring back full retreats at all shows!

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavaliers came forward toward the stands and looped back around in single file, walking past the left side of Phantom's block. In the video that DCI posted immediately after the show, there's a spot where they're interviewing a guy from Phantom, and you can see Cavaliers members walking past behind him. You couldn't tell what was being said from the stands of course, but I'm glad to hear that it was all class.

Also, after the scores were announced in finals in 2000, we and Cavies shook hands and congratulated each other then. I don't doubt they are a classy corps. Everything was cool then and I am sure it is now. It's all friendly competition after it's all said and done.

The problem is that retreats are virtually non existent now days. Thus, there is less emphasis placed on what is right vs. wrong. And as more time passes by since the full retreats were common place, less and less members will even know what is expected at a full retreat. And honestly, most of the time it was the section leaders or drum/horn/guard captains that were teaching new members what was expected. We're rapidly approaching a time where very people (if any) have experienced full retreats on a regular basis. So one could only anticipate that some of the old school traditions would be lost.

But, to flash back to my marching days (93-00), retreats/grand finale were always fairly professional. Yes, they were painfully long at times. Yes, Cavaliers still passed candy. Yes, other corps had their unique quirks. Maybe some corps took finale a little too seriously... (Seriously... a crowbar?!?) Some others had a more relaxed approach. But in the end, it all worked out and most of the time the audience was oblivious to any of the weird stuff going on. So in that respect, when a corps actions become a distraction, then I see a problem. But if it's not something that's going to stick out like a sore thumb, I say just let it go! Like someone else pointed out, the minute they walk off that field, the season is over... Members start to scramble right away for rides to the airport and so forth. If having a little fun (within reason) is going to make the last hour of their season that much better/memorable, go for it!

Crowbar Ho!

Full retreat at every show? Have you marched? Like really... it's nice for the fans but lets be honest... it's kinda a pain on the members. lol. just being honest.

I really enjoyed having full retreat at (almost) every show of the year. It was always a good opportunity to unwind, talk to friends in other corps and marvel at the Troopers' horn ripples.

The simple solution is to reintroduce full retreat for all the major shows. That gives everyone a chance to learn the tune a little before finals and lets the rookies know what to expect.

How many corps roll out early? I've been to the San Antonio show the past few years and most of the corps that didn't even make the night show are still in the lot for a while after the finals encore.

Maybe some corps took finale a little too seriously... (Seriously... a crowbar?!?)

That crowbar doesn't mean that line took anything seriously at retreat. If anything, the total opposite.

That crowbar was the demise of many water jugs on Finals day.

Serious? Please. :worthy::smile:

Full retreat at every show? Have you marched? Like really... it's nice for the fans but lets be honest... it's kinda a pain on the members. lol. just being honest.

I enjoyed retreat a lot when I marched. I wish they still did it.

If DCI did retreats more often at more shows, maybe corps would have more practice at being a class act instead of all the horseplay and messing around on such an important night as finals.

I completely agree. If the message is sent to the kids that retreat isn't important enough anymore to actually do it, how can anyone expect more than a few of them to take it seriously the one time it is done.

I DON'T THINK THERE IS ANY NEED FOR A FULL CORPS RETREAT UNLESS THE CORPS ARE GOING TO PLAY THEMSELVES OFF THE FIELD... OLD SCHOOL

Agree. Don't even bring them on if they are going to just goof among themselves. Don't waste my time as an audience member. Just bring the DM's out, give the scores, and we get out early.

OR...... make it the special pagentry it was intended to be. And have the Corps play themselves off at the end of retreat. And do it up right.

Do one or the other.

I completely agree. If the message is sent to the kids that retreat isn't important enough anymore to actually do it, how can anyone expect more than a few of them to take it seriously the one time it is done.

And why should an audience take the Corps at retreat seriously if they and their Corps Directors apparently don't ?